U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 AM

2,665 posts, read 3,417,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
. . . . But it was a good attempt to spin the positive news in a negative light. Why are so adamant in doing that - even though I repeatedly point out exactly what you are doing?
Is a liberal on the soup line the only happy liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,840,768 times
The GDP grew by only .3%, this is a signicant contraction of growth from previous years. If not "technically" a recession the economy is hurting (combined with the lowering of the dollar). On top of that, energy and food prices are skyrocketing and inflation is growing. Even this conservative can see that the economy is not doing well, you don't need to be a liberal to feel the pinch of the contracting economy.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

290 posts, read 486,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
The GDP grew by only .3%, this is a signicant contraction of growth from previous years. If not "technically" a recession the economy is hurting (combined with the lowering of the dollar). On top of that, energy and food prices are skyrocketing and inflation is growing. Even this conservative can see that the economy is not doing well, you don't need to be a liberal to feel the pinch of the contracting economy.
The economy is not contracting. The growth is less than before. Saying the economy is contracting now is like saying there are spending cuts when spending increases, but the increases were not as much as budgeted. If you get used to good economic growth, you are disappointed when the growth is less, but it is still growth. The economy goes in cycles and my point is that this down cycle is not nearly as bad as the media or my liberal friends would have you believe. And this negative spin on good news provided me a perfect opportunity to point that out. Thank you liberal friends for being so predictable.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:52 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,458,270 times
Quote:
These numbers are official government numbers and the Democratic congress has oversight. I don't know what the press stooges say, just what the headlines are.

All of this "thinking" and predictions came before the numbers were released today. The definition remains 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP. In fact all of the predictions you cite magnify the surprise that the number came out positive and makes the news even better.

So I have proved the news is good and asked why you want to spin it negatively and instead of answering the question, you prove my point by repeatedly spinning it negatively and trying to change the subject.

So I will try again.... Why? I am starting to develop theories as to why, but they are not complimentary to you, so I prefer to let you answer the question.
I agree with you and would love to hear your theories since it is pretty evident that no one is going to answer your question objectively.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,609,111 times
Quote:
The economy is not contracting. The growth is less than before. Saying the economy is contracting now is like saying there are spending cuts when spending increases, but the increases were not as much as budgeted. If you get used to good economic growth, you are disappointed when the growth is less, but it is still growth. The economy goes in cycles and my point is that this down cycle is not nearly as bad as the media or my liberal friends would have you believe. And this negative spin on good news provided me a perfect opportunity to point that out. Thank you liberal friends for being so predictable.
It's ironic that a government apologist like yourself claims others who are true believers in a market invulnerable to being talked up or down are liberals

Maybe if you hit up the Bolshevists in the executive and legislative branch, you can prevent us from exposing the truth and we can keep the music going for a little while longer?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,829,969 times
Quote:
Finally.... 3 pages later... Thank you.
Nah, the press isn't manipulating this to increase the chances for the Democrats to win. Disagree with you here.

Housing prices, fuel spike and food price increases are real stories too.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM

290 posts, read 486,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I agree with you and would love to hear your theories since it is pretty evident that no one is going to answer your question objectively.
I actually don' think that people are conciously trying to influence the elections by hurting our economy (but I bet if I send this thread to Rush, He would come to that conclusion.) I think people get at world view and if something contradicts it, they look for ways to rationalize.

RL is a good example, never disputed the numbers, but always came up with something negative to say about them.

The guy with the good view simply never trusted the numbers to begin with and I misread him at first. He really wasn't spinning the numbers, but rather questioned them. The fact is that the media and others did everything they could to spin them, and initially it appeared that topviewman was defending those actions. That's OK cause he misread me too...check out my posts...I am anything but a government apologist.

Mama fell for the trap of the media hype. I think she will recognize that trap better next time.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
Because it is a election years and thoise not in power will do anything to gain it. Remember they have siad that we have had it bad eve since 2000.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 PM

1,572 posts, read 3,687,782 times
The GDP is pretty meaningless. Did they factor in real inflation, and not just excluding oil and food?

Layoffs are increasing. Unemployment in Florida is shooting upward, in many places the official number is near 7 percent, and this number is always lower than real unemployment. Places all around the country are shedding jobs at a brisk pace, and few places are in a hiring or producing mood. One guy I know on a forum in the Carolinas that works at a truck manufacturing plant says that business is the lowest he has ever seen- nobody wants to buy new rigs. And their plant in Mexico that was scheduled to be built, has been halted, because demand for new rigs is so low.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,982,334 times
I look at few things... cost of living, gas prices, cost of milk, inflation which is really closer between 7% and 11% and most importantly the VALUE of my dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies