U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,281,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Simmer down! We aren't invading Iran.
That is correct. We do not have the soldiers to invade even Grenada right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,356,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Right now, it seems that Saudi Arabia, China (partially), and Hong Kong are pegging (maybe others?)

In those countries, inflation is running rampant and people are rioting. I don't think it'll take long for them to say bye byes to the dollah.

When bond yield shoot to the moon, I think it'll be too late to sell your dollars. Government would likely step in and make not accepting the dollar within its borders a punishable crime either by prison sentence, or perhaps even a capital offense. Probably lots of currency controls. I doubt they'll force people to re-patriate, but restrictions on departing from the dollar and owning foreign assets is a reality. This country is going to be a very restrictive one to live in, IMHO. It would totally not surprise me to see government restrict traveling and maybe, JUST maybe, make leaving the country illegal (or if you leave, you can't take anything with you)

Eventually the dollar will stabilize, although I question the possibility under a McCain administration. Volcker (who rescued the currency after guns and butter nearly destroyed it) as I understand it is Obama's economic advisor. Unsure about how a Clinton presidency would work.
Hmmm, very interesting and thank you. Econ was NEVER my strength. Scary to think that McCain (a self proclaimed person who does not understand Econ could EVEN be running for president).

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,356,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is correct. We do not have the soldiers to invade even Grenada right now!
Right, but as a previous poster said, we can still do aerial bombings. How is that not invasion?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,663,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thank you. What does at the head end mean?

I guess my main concern is that we are going down. I know we're going down, but I'd like to understand all of the details of why we are going down.
The cost of crude before anyone touches it will be higher. So before Exxon or BP or anyone else can rape you, they too will have to pay more for it. (which they certainly don't mind passing the added cost along)

I don't think the US is headed down the tubes but I do think we are headed for an inevitable collision of various factors that will result in a major stumble and a couple of years of difficult times. Even with declines in US manufacturing, declines in our currency which lead to inflation, the housing and lending debacle, and our insatiable desire for empire, the US is still retains one thing that isn't even entirely quantifiable and that is potential.

America is fat enough that it could use some troubling times to trim the girth and who knows, maybe teach people how to live intelligently instead of decadently.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM

793 posts, read 1,985,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
What does this all prove... Ron Paul was right as usual.
Hear comes the depression get ready for the next revolution.
Amen to that.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM

793 posts, read 1,985,758 times
why invadind or declaring war or even bombing someone else's nation when the economy is low? Should they fix the economy first before doing anything??? War has never fixed anything. It just kills innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies