U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,266,336 times

Advertisements

With the recent news of 3 NY Police officer's being acquitted of shooting a innocent man 50 times.

Do America really believe that Justice is fair? I'm not sure!!

I never ever, ever, committed a crime in my life! I have to admit, sometimes I fear being looked at as a suspect and possibly arrested for something that I didn't do. Sent to jail for years and no one would ever believe me, or shot and killed just for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

My question's to all!

1. The guy that was killed never had a gun, never fired a shot! Was the cops justified for shooting this man 50 times and killing him? NOOOOOOO!

2. If that guy fired one shot at the cops! Would the cops be justified in killing him? YES

How could a judge-allow the cops to get off totally?

We as American are taught to be prepared for our consequences. The Law can't be one sided.

Again and again, like a smack in the faces of the victims families, this continues to happen.

The system in my opinion can be flawed, by the opinion's of a person (judge), that might have a issue's with a particular race or is biased because of his or her relationship's with Police Officer's.

Jury's have been proven to be un-reliable also. Thousands died and were convicted for not committing a crime at all. (DNA evidence)

Something needs to change!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM

437 posts, read 572,150 times
But-but-but the cops were black too! That makes it not racist, right?

(rolling my eyes)

The sad thing is that I was really shocked that they were found not guilty, but my students - nearly all of them black - were not. They were surprised that I was surprised. In retrospect, I have no idea why I thought those policemen were going to pay for murdering Sean Bell.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 PM

22,362 posts, read 27,494,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
[b]
1. The guy that was killed never had a gun, never fired a shot! Was the cops justified for shooting this man 50 times and killing him? NOOOOOOO!
There is a simple way to prevent that... do what the cops say and don't resist!

Quote:
2. If that guy fired one shot at the cops! Would the cops be justified in killing him? YES
What are the cops supposed to do? Walk up to a suspect and ask him if he is going to shoot them? The cops would probably be dead by then! Again, if suspects would just follow the orders the cops give, they wouldn't be in any danger.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Again, if suspects would just follow the orders the cops give, they wouldn't be in any danger.
Like Amadou Diallo? Or Abner Louima? Or Ousmane Zongo?

BTW, those cops were in plain clothes, not uniforms. News flash - if someone approaches a person with a gun and doesn't tell say who they are, most people are going to run.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What are the cops supposed to do?
What are they supposed to do? How about not shoot and kill an unarmed man! How about that for starters?!?!

Why in the world does this happen so often in this country? In the UK, police don't even carry firearms. Oh...and need I remind you that they have like 800 murders a year in the UK. The US has over 16,000.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
What are they supposed to do? How about not shoot and kill an unarmed man! How about that for starters?!?!
Or identifying yourself as the police before you start chasing people around in plain clothes. Ever hear of the Kathryn Johnson case in Atlanta? They shot and killed an 88-year-old woman after bursting into her house w/o knocking on some bogus information that there were drugs in her home. What kind of monster do you have to be to shoot an 88-year-old woman?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,243,699 times
Default The JURY has spoken.

Take it up with them, your fellow mericans. You ARE American, aincha? Can't tell, there's so many farners running around in the political forums...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
Or identifying yourself as the police before you start chasing people around in plain clothes. Ever hear of the Kathryn Johnson case in Atlanta? They shot and killed an 88-year-old woman after bursting into her house w/o knocking on some bogus information that there were drugs in her home. What kind of monster do you have to be to shoot an 88-year-old woman?
Honestly, police in the US are pretty reckless. It's not a criticism against them personally; although I think that some people who go into the profession have some real issues. But generally I think it is more of a training problem. They train them to be aggressive and hence we get innocent people killed in high speed cases, unarmed men shot and an 88 year old woman sitting in her home gunned down. This is out of control.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,255,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

Why in the world does this happen so often in this country? In the UK, police don't even carry firearms. Oh...and need I remind you that they have like 800 murders a year in the UK. The US has over 16,000.
How would the police know the man was unarmed?

and cops in th eUK are amred,a lot of times more heavily than here....

And if you want I can find the news story about how British police shot and killed an unarmed man while he was in his bed...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:16 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,255,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
How do you know the cops didn't identify themselves?

And the cops in Atlanta have been charged I believe, in MY opinion people should be outraged about this case more than Sean Bell....

No-knock warrants are a terrible thing widely used and result in innocent people being killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies