U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,252,347 times
Reputation: 2499

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's probably at least partially because after the execution, what's the point in trying? Though people have been posthumously exonerated, no specific case comes to mind without me googling.

However, what about the hundred-plus death row inmates who were exonerated after the introduction of DNA evidence? I've met a guy who spent 15 years on death row before having his name cleared. After the fact, it seems that every bit of evidence that convicted him was circumstantial tripe, but it was enough to see him convicted, and would have been enough to have him executed.
There are a myriad of groups who have made it their life's purpose to abolish the death penalty,none have conclusively shown an innocent man has been executed.

As to your second point,again NONE of those released were (obviously)executed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,774,681 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Can you back up your claim?
Yes I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,111,775 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Yes I can.
Then, please do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,252,347 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday Yes I can.
Please provide evidence of an innocent man being executed in the USA in modern times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM
 
7,270 posts, read 13,488,486 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
There are a myriad of groups who have made it their life's purpose to abolish the death penalty,none have conclusively shown an innocent man has been executed.

As to your second point,again NONE of those released were (obviously)executed....
Every single one of them were on their way to the gallows. How is that not every bit as compelling? How does it not suggest that prior to DNA evidence, hundreds of innocent people were put to death? Logic! Was our justice system less fallible before?

And if you want an example, how about Wayne Felker? Ellis Wayne Felker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,774,681 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Quote:
Please provide evidence of an innocent man being executed in the USA in modern times.
Modern times start at the 20th century that's the 1900 right?
I guess back then plenty of black people were hanged for only wanting to be free.
Or they were falsely accused by white Americans.
Anywayz I also guess that even now plenty of minorities cannot pay for a decent lawyer (like OJ could) and they too were put on death row, but mostly because of the inexperience of their legal representatives.
I guess you could say it was all 'legal' but the fact still is that many innocents were put to death for a crime they didn't commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,111,775 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Modern times start at the 20th century that's the 1900 right?
Are you going to provide the proof you SAID you could, or, are you merely going to try to continue to spin this discussion with your useless, and off topic diatribe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,774,681 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Are you going to provide the proof you SAID you could, or, are you merely going to try to continue to spin this discussion with your useless, and off topic diatribe?
Don't blame me for not knowing your own history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,111,775 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Don't blame me for not knowing your own history.

You made the claim - now it is up to you to back it up.

You say you know United States history better than I - well, now you have your chance to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,252,347 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by oz in SCModern times start at the 20th century that's the 1900 right?
I guess back then plenty of black people were hanged for only wanting to be free.
Or they were falsely accused by white Americans.
Anywayz I also guess that even now plenty of minorities cannot pay for a decent lawyer (like OJ could) and they too were put on death row, but mostly because of the inexperience of their legal representatives.
I guess you could say it was all 'legal' but the fact still is that many innocents were put to death for a crime they didn't commit.
No evidence of an innocent man being executed....

You thinking someone might of been innocent doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top