U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 AM

34,606 posts, read 33,598,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Liberals are skeptical of censorship and celebrate free and open debate.
Liberals celebrate free and open debate? You have to be kidding me. These days, universities are the first place to stifle it unless you consider pie throwing and shouting down people with a different opinion, a free and open debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,339,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
The dirty little secret, well documented, is that liberals dontate much less than conservatives.
See any of the many other threads in which this claim has been debunked...

Last edited by saganista; 05-04-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 AM

34,606 posts, read 33,598,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Quite true, but to be fair the opposite occurs frequently too.

I would love to see folks take an issue or two from the list and analytically address why they agree or disagree with the sentiment, but again to be fair this posting board ain't the Brookings Institute.
The Brookings Institute describes themselves as left-liberal leaning.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 AM

8,587 posts, read 8,501,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Liberals celebrate free and open debate? You have to be kidding me. These days, universities are the first place to stifle it unless you consider pie throwing and shouting down people with a different opinion, a free and open debate.
Colledge the first place??? You should see the Liberial propaganda and censorship at my kids highschool

Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
...but again to be fair this posting board ain't the Brookings Institute.
That would be the Brookings Institution, btw...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you to all David Horowitz clones for their valuable contributions to these boards.

There is meanwhile a difference between varying opinions that are validly based on the same actual facts, and those opinions that first require the invention of some alternative facts in order to have any validity at all. It is the latter (many of them authored by David Horowitz, I might add) that are properly laughed out of our institutions of higher learning and ought to be laughed out of any other serious forum...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
The Brookings Institute describes themselves as left-liberal leaning.
The Brookings Institution describes itself as being independent. YOU describe it as being left-liberal leaning.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Colledge the first place??? You should see the Liberial propaganda and censorship at my kids highschool
Force-feeding the kids some facts, are they?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,376,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
The dirty little secret, well documented, is that liberals dontate much less than conservatives. They do not like, for example, donating time and money to a church food pantry. That is a more direct way of helping people. They prefer the big government method.

Liberals do not give as much to charities because they feel that big brother government should be parceling out goodies based on their image and likeness of what they want the world to look like, not what the real needs are.
It's funny you should say this. While I am neither liberal or conservative, I have given of my time (average 15 hours per week) & money (about 15% of my $60,000 salary) extensively in the last 30 years for charities- soup kitckens, food banks, assisiting homless & hard core unemployed in finding stable employment... and have lived in both types of towns dominated by either conservatives or liberals. I would say that 75% or more of the actual time spent just rolling up ones sleeves and working for the disadvantaged is by conservatives. The shouting about it is done by liberals. At least, that's the way it is in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 AM

And of course your anecdotal observations are quite fairly and honestly arrived at and reported, and they are indeed representative of the far broader situation that you have no actual experience with or insight into at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies