U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
How is Microsoft able to get around the sanctions that prevent other US companies from doing business with Cuba? Heck, going with Windows may keep Cuba in the dark another decade or two, so maybe they will choose wisely and go with Linux.
Windows is licensed in most nations of the world and Microsoft is a worldwide company. They cannot sell it from Seattle but they can from Canada or Europe. Microsoft Corp is as big as the government. If the government started telling them who they could do business with, they would quickly pack up and move 50 miles north to Vancouver. And there would be hell to pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:58 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Hopefully the United States will drop its silly embargo of Cuba. American tourists and businesspeople flocking to Cuba would bring about change a lot faster than any coercion. Unfortunately we'll have to wait for a change in Administrations to get that started.
We'll also have to wait for a change in Cuban attitudes toward the US. There is no need in their minds for some rush into any sort of embrace of the US economic model. They will not welcome our captains of industry nor any other of our exploiters. They are likely to welcome tourists and trade and cultural arrangements that are actually beneficial to Cuba. What a concept.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:19 PM

19,495 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
We'll also have to wait for a change in Cuban attitudes toward the US. There is no need in their minds for some rush into any sort of embrace of the US economic model. They will not welcome our captains of industry nor any other of our exploiters. They are likely to welcome tourists and trade and cultural arrangements that are actually beneficial to Cuba. What a concept.
I hope it's a long wait, though I guess it depends on how long Venezuela is ruled by a thug.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Out trolling again, are we?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM

5,273 posts, read 12,367,748 times
Quote:
Hopefully the United States will drop its silly embargo of Cuba. American tourists and businesspeople flocking to Cuba would bring about change a lot faster than any coercion. Unfortunately we'll have to wait for a change in Administrations to get that started.
I also hope to end the embargo and embrace Cuba. However, I disagree we'll have to wait for a change in administration.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 PM

19,495 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Out trolling again, are we?
Squeak for yourself.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,433,278 times
Quote:
This is one thing I agree with, as the government of cuba starts giving freedoms to its people, we should drop parts of our embargo, and show them that we are a friendly nation, and help embrace the change to freedom.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,433,278 times
Quote:
How is Microsoft able to get around the sanctions that prevent other US companies from doing business with Cuba? Heck, going with Windows may keep Cuba in the dark another decade or two, so maybe they will choose wisely and go with Linux.
Maybe they are putting the OS on the systems, selling them to Canada, which does not have to adhere to the export laws? it would seem that once Microsoft sells them to another country that they can not be held responsable for them being sold elsewhere?

on a side not TN your one of them? ;p Linux is a good OS, just not my choice ;p

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,777,528 times
LoL, I read the title as :The Beijing of the end of Cuba and then it me; my guess would be that Cuba is more likely to follow Beijing and the Chinese economic model than America and the ‘free market’.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,260,818 times
Quote:
Probably because Cuba is buying the computers through a Canadian company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies