Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
As long as it's after this summer, atleast I won't be the first line of draftee's....

Guess I should get an electrical vehicle of some sort, because there is no way in hell an attack on Iran won't force oil above 200 bucks a barrel.

Actually, we sorta do own canadian oil.

A stipulation in NAFTA is that canada has to sell us their oil for market price.
Meh. NAFTA is just a breakable agreement like the anti-ballistic missile treaty was.

Although with an overregulated America about ready to unfairly bastardize capitalism, we might beat the Canadiens in breaking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Here is another interesting point of view - McClatchy Washington Bureau | 05/04/2008 | Iraq backs off allegations that Iran is behind violence

Is there any end in sight??
---
I really don't think Iraq is in a position to mount an attack, or even participate in an attack on Iran at this time. Heck, about all its militia threw down weapons and fled down in Basra a few weeks back. They can't/won't protect their own interests inside their own borders, much less outside.

So, no, there is no end in sight, at the present time.

Go USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:19 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Let's stop with the name calling please, just discuss the topic.

My personal point of view is more in line with those OK with a surgical strike at Iran, and I don't fear the price of oil.

'Bout time this country became less dependent upon those Middle East folks anyway, and have more of a negotiated (vs dependent) relationship.

I'm fine with short term discomfort for long term gain and growth.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let's stop with the name calling please, just discuss the topic.
---
Thanks, I needed that. As it is, TD couldn't/wouldn't answer my query anyway, so what's the use, eh? And, if you'll read back a little, surely you can see I WAS trying to get him back on topic.

Go USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
By "loose" I meant to have them hit by terminally guided short-range ballistic missiles, burned and sank in the Persian Gulf. I think we should remove ourselves and let the entire area settle their differences amongst themselves. IMHO we do not have ANY friends in the area and that includes Israel. We may have client states and economic interests but we do not have friends.

GO USA - great sentiment but go to where?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Bush can't get Congressional approval to buy paperclips. There will be no military strike on Iran.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Bush can't get Congressional approval to buy paperclips. There will be no military strike on Iran.
He does not need Congressional approval to authorize a surgical strike on Iran.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you understand that your whole future is dependent on the US gaining control of Iran?

Understand I don't care if the US burns down, falls over and sinks into a swamp, but if you're going to live in the US, it's going to be a miserable existence for you and your children and grand-children, if the US can't gain control of Iran.

Iran already sells oil and natural gas to Japan in Yen instead of US Dollars which reduces the demand for US Dollars and weakens it against the Euro. China and Iran have reached an agreement to sell oil and natural gas in Yuan/Renmibi, and that will probably start June 1 and you'll see the US$ decline even further.

UNOCAL (now Chevron) owns 75% of the oil, natural gas and mineral rights in the Central Asian states. Those fields are being developed, but if the oil and natural gas is sold in Euros or Rubles instead of US$, it will be a serious blow to the US economy.

If the US cannot impose its hegemony on the Central Asian states, then it cannot control the currency in which those commodities are sold, and the only way the US can exert its hegemony is to control Iran.

And no one can say it doesn't matter, because it does. If it didn't, then Iraq would still be selling its oil in Euros, but it isn't because the US is forcing Iraq to sell its oil in US$.

When I was in the XVIIIth Airborne Corps, we trained to invade Iran, well not Iran, just a small province in Iran called Khuzestan. 80% of Iran's oil is located there and it represents 4% of the world's oil. The US will easily gain control of it. Those are Arab-Iranians who live there, not Persian-Iranians. On at least 12 occasions over the last 100 years they have tried to become independent from Iran, the last two times they tried were during the 1979 "revolution" and then again during the Iraq-Iran War. They would view the US as "liberators."

The great thing is that all of the oil and natural gas in Khuzestan goes into the Syrian-Iraqi pipeline, or the Kuwaiti-Saudi pipeline, or right to the port facilities on the Persian Gulf, except for one minor natural gas pipeline that goes through the foothills of the Zagros Mountains, so you don't have to worry about gasoline being $8/gallon, but you do have to worry about keeping your job if the US doesn't invade Iran.

Dick Cheney is that you again? this is my rebuttal to you since you quoted me. Anyone who thinks that our future depends on Iranian oil needs to put down the crack pipe. As for Iran selling it's oil in Euros well go thank Dubya and his policies for allowing our dollar to sink to the point where it's becoming as valuable as toilet paper around the world.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
By "loose" I meant to have them hit by terminally guided short-range ballistic missiles, burned and sank in the Persian Gulf. I think we should remove ourselves and let the entire area settle their differences amongst themselves. IMHO we do not have ANY friends in the area and that includes Israel. We may have client states and economic interests but we do not have friends.

GO USA - great sentiment but go to where?
---
Okay, I'm clear, now. But to practice isolationism with regard to the ME is a death knell waiting to strike. I think I'd rather have our presence in the region with both eyes wide open, and with the knowledge that if struck, we will strike back, but we won't strike first unless there is no other way to garner full and unwaivering attention.

GO USA, as in "Cheer your home team on to victory!" The USA doesn't have to go anywhere, "they" all want to come here! Be loud and be proud of who you are and where you are!

GO USA

Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
He dont need approval for anything. He is the Dictator. "The Decider" What he says goes. He said so himself. Dont throw him the Constitution. He already said it is just a G-damn piece of paper anyway.

I dont like war but if bushy the Dictator wants to carry on his love affair with Iraq and illegally start up another war with Iran, then I would be rooting for a few misplaced nukes to fall on each and every major city in that 6th world hell hole. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The world will be a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies