U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,116,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Are we going to bomb Iran? NO the Congress would not authorize such a mission.
The Congress does not have to authorize such a mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM

4,935 posts, read 6,773,140 times
I think we ought to just scare the **** out of the Iranians. Do a badass fly over of their capital to put them back in their place, start shooting their hostile boats, and get a battle ship armed with a nuke pointed right at them. It's called carrying a big stick.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,549,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I think we ought to just scare the **** out of the Iranians. Do a badass fly over of their capital to put them back in their place, start shooting their hostile boats, and get a battle ship armed with a nuke pointed right at them. It's called carrying a big stick.
That would work on normal people who fear death. But they are not normal. They would sit there begging for our bombs to be jambed down their throats so they can hurry up and get to their 44 virgins.

We can try though. It's better then losing more Americans while the war monger bushy sits back in his easy chair laughing while keeping one eye on the oil stock charts.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,243,699 times
Quote:
Maybe you missed the news where the former head prosecutor at Gitmo just testified against the administration in a Gitmo trial.

And I am on topic. Are we going to bomb Iran? NO the Congress would not authorize such a mission.
---
Yes, I guess I did miss that new news item. Got a link? And it's a "former head prosecutor"? Sorry, I don't watch tv, haven't since last July, can't trust 'em, ya know?

And, finally, yes, you ARE on topic! Yay! Congress doesn't have to give authorization. Especially in an emergency.

GO USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM

9,043 posts, read 11,567,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If they're secret what makes you so sure they're no longer there
Contrary to popular belief, some citizens often stay one step of the government.

A family member, staunch capitalist, was selected as deputy treasurer of a former communist bloc country while lying on his application saying he was a loyal party member. During his tenure he was able to gain some good inside information to share with political dissenters.

Now THAT'S patriotism. God bless him.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,774,364 times
As a U.S. tax-payer who has absolutely no say whatsoever, (see IRS) i have to vehemently disagree with any action or plan for war with Iran.

We shouldn't even be meddling in those type of affairs. Also, the stupid rhetoric of U.S. gov't of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" needs to quit and quite frankly, it's what got the U.S. gov't in the mess in the first place.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That would work on normal people who fear death. But they are not normal. They would sit there begging for our bombs to be jambed down their throats so they can hurry up and get to their 44 virgins.

We can try though. It's better then losing more Americans while the war monger bushy sits back in his easy chair laughing while keeping one eye on the oil stock charts.
---
Would you kindly give your own definition of "war monger" or "warmonger"? And why have you so designated Bush as a "war monger" when his predecessor did nothing other than saber rattling, talking the big talk, but not walking the walk? For Slick, I'd say he was a coward, plain, pure, and simple. Well, thinking about what I just wrote, I suppose I can see, and have answered my own question to you, but I'd still like to read your side, please?

GO USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,238,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
Yes, I guess I did miss that new news item. Got a link? And it's a "former head prosecutor"? Sorry, I don't watch tv, haven't since last July, can't trust 'em, ya know?

And, finally, yes, you ARE on topic! Yay! Congress doesn't have to give authorization. Especially in an emergency.

GO USA!
Ex-Gitmo prosecutor alleges politics - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I agree Congress has already authorized All Presidents to retaliate or defend the country against imminent attack. No such condition exists. "Emergency" is a vague word which isn't used in the language of such authorizations. Iran claiming that they plan to develop a nuclear weapon is not a threat of imminent attack and really not even an emergency. It really more of an empty threat.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Ex-Gitmo prosecutor alleges politics - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I agree Congress has already authorized All Presidents to retaliate or defend the country against imminent attack. No such condition exists. "Emergency" is a vague word which isn't used in the language of such authorizations. Iran claiming that they plan to develop a nuclear weapon is not a threat of imminent attack and really not even an emergency. It really more of an empty threat.
---
Thanks for the link, and now I do remember seeing it. No proof, though, only allegations. Lot of difference.

I hope no such condition actually exists - imminent attack; however, on 9/10/01, the U.S. thought everything was hunky-dory, too, yes? Drop your guard, drop your opportunity for quick retaliation.

And who really knows what is going on in Iran, in Imanutjob's mind (sorry, can't remember his real name, only kinda phonetically at the moment) other than he, himself. And If he or his country continue to thwart the embargoes - real or imagined - about the nuclear development, well, is it saber-rattling or just an empty threat, as you write? I'd hope it's an empty threat, too, but just in case it's not...well, I hope you can get my drift?

GO USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:25 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Is it half-time yet? What did I miss? I heard Mr. Ranscome say that anybody who misbehaves in the stands is going to get detention, so better be careful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or