Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Porsche 986
---
Nice car, man! Always admired Porsche, never owned one, though. What kinda mileage you getting? My 82 Volvo 240 gets around 25-26 highway, with 270K+ miles on it.

GO USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
Nice car, man! Always admired Porsche, never owned one, though. What kinda mileage you getting? My 82 Volvo 240 gets around 25-26 highway, with 270K+ miles on it.

GO USA!
About 20 mpg in town with a light foot, about 30 mpg on the road.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oil continued its record run over $120 per barrel today and some analysts are predicting $5 gas this summer. I think its time the people responsible for this mass robbery of the American consumer are held accountable. This may be far fetched but I think Bush and Cheney need to be arrested immediately, followed by oil executives and speculators. This administration has sold our entire country and way of life for profit. What ever happened to the government standing up for the consumer against corporate greed?
Yeah, good idea. We should get rid of those evil people who are trying to increase the supply of oil. We all know from basic economics that increasing supply causes a massive increase in price.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Yeah, good idea. We should get rid of those evil people who are trying to increase the supply of oil. We all know from basic economics that increasing supply causes a massive increase in price.
In this oil market it does. There is nothing supply and demand about this oil market. The price increase today was actually fueled by expectations of an improving economy so demand could possibly increase as well as the expectation of $200 oil next year. If this isn't robbery, what is? The speculators are having a party at the expense of the American consumer and the Bush family is making an absolute fortune. They need to be held responsible!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
If nothing else, $5/gal will keep some of the riff-raff off the roadways in number. Hey, here's an idea! Let's go back to 55mph for another 10+ years! Yeah, that's the ticket!

GO USA!
I don't think politicians like Hillary Clinton would think they would get elected if they advocated dropping the speed limit back to 55 mph. I bet more good would be done doing that than having a gas tax holiday for the summer.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
It won't go to $5. Not even close. It will not even crack $4 I don't think.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It won't go to $5. Not even close. It will not even crack $4 I don't think.
Depends on where you live. Parts of Cali are already well above $4/gal.

Link

This map shows the prices around the country at a glance. The west coast, and parts of the NE are really getting hammered.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Forgot about them, they should go down too. Gas and food prices are a FAR greater threat to this economy than home prices. Bernanke is INCOMPETENT for not realizing that.
They both are problems but it seems to me the housing market is screwed over anyways, meanwhile those of us without mortgage problems are struggling with inflation eating into everything we buy.

I'm used to being able to order things online and not pay alot in shpping. If the stuff you buy is at all "not made in America", you pay more. You pay more for the shipping, too. It's pretty bad. Local stores don't have the stuff I want, at the quality I want (shaving soap, double edged razor blades), so I order off the net for alot of stuff and you really have to "economize" now days, as my grandmother said. A couple years ago, it was alot better.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Oil continued its record run over $120 per barrel today and some analysts are predicting $5 gas this summer. I think its time the people responsible for this mass robbery of the American consumer are held accountable. This may be far fetched but I think Bush and Cheney need to be arrested immediately, followed by oil executives and speculators. This administration has sold our entire country and way of life for profit. What ever happened to the government standing up for the consumer against corporate greed?

Many countries have higher gas prices than us. Why are we special? Why do we deserve to pay less than everyone else?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Many countries have higher gas prices than us. Why are we special? Why do we deserve to pay less than everyone else?
As I understand it, most of them pay higher due to the higher local taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies