U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,272,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
England and Japan are increasing the number of prisoners put to death -
England?

Last time I checked, the UK hasn't had capital punishment since the early 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,760,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerguelphite View Post
It's about time USA repealted it's 2nd ammendment and outlawed firearms. Also get rid of the death penalty as other civilized countries have done.
A Canadian.
Two very different issues.

Gun ownership is a right that all Americans should have unless they are criminals or insane.

The death penalty is about the government killing people.

I am against the death penalty for many reasons, I don't see it being eliminated however, because it is the opinion of a majority of Americans, that justice should involve death. I feel that justice could best be served by insuring that the rest of their lives are miserable, confined to a small windowless, concrete cell with nothing more than maybe a mat on the floor and a bible. Their real punishment will come after they have passed this world.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
England and Japan are increasing the number of prisoners put to death -
Capital punishment in the United Kingdom was abolished for murder in 1965. Although never applied, it remained on the statute book for certain other offences until 1998. The last executions took place in 1964, by hanging.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,202,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Capital punishment in the United Kingdom was abolished for murder in 1965. Although never applied, it remained on the statute book for certain other offences until 1998. The last executions took place in 1964, by hanging.
I stand corrected on the UK

It was / is Belarus and Japan

Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,056,724 times
Quote:
Tell that to these people - you think simply because they were convicted, even if innocent, they deserved to die?? There are even situations where the real guilty person ended up confessing. These people could have been put to death for something they did not do.

Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row

This is pathetic.....you are extremely pro-abortion, yet you are against killing the most brutal criminals in society.

So we should spare the lives of people who brutally murdered and raped innocent people, but we should keep killing the unborn, right?

Personally, I think we should expand the death penalty and execute all pedophiles and child abusers.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
This is pathetic.....you are extremely pro-abortion, yet you are against killing the most brutal criminals in society.

So we should spare the lives of people who brutally murdered and raped innocent people, but we should keep killing the unborn, right?

Personally, I think we should expand the death penalty and execute all pedophiles and child abusers.
Living vs. non living beings. Since this is the death penalty thread, not the abortion thread I'm not going to get back into the "what is a life" argument with you, but I find it pretty ridiculous that you are vehelementy anti-abortion, protecting the sanctity of life and all that, yet support executions.

What about the people that were accused of raping and murdering people, and then exonerated just in time? If they're executed and found to be innocent, is it just, "Oh well, my bad"? You certainly can't bring them back from execution. Life in Prison without parole.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I find it pretty ridiculous that you are vehelementy anti-abortion, protecting the sanctity of life and all that, yet support executions.

I can differentiate between bottom-feeding criminal scum that cannot peacefully co-exist with society and innocent defenseless life that has done no wrong.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I can differentiate between bottom-feeding criminal scum that cannot peacefully co-exist with society and innocent defenseless life that has done no wrong.
Ok, what about the innocents that were put on death row, they deserve to die due to an OOPS?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Ok, what about the innocents that were put on death row, they deserve to die due to an OOPS?

Well, maybe they shouldn't be put to death unless the evidence is inconclusive? That should be easy enough with DNA testing these days. I agree we shouldn't execute someone if there is even a shred of doubt.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM

11,401 posts, read 18,604,638 times
Contraband

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies