Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I also have extensive menu planning and nutrition training and experience. And you will never know whether I am using my child support or food stamp benefits, unless perhaps you are also attempting to steal my PIN.

IMHO, some CD posters are very obviously ignorant and judgemental and should try to learn a bit more about the world around them before they make fools of themselves.
LOL I have a FL Debit Mastercard for my child support but it has the flag on it and I was using it to the fixings for Nacho's the other night. Well I had washed the card a couple months back so every once in awhile the swipe won't work and the clerk has to punch it in which means she has to go get that machine so they can imprint the card.

So the lady behind me loudly whispers “I wish they would make them go through a separate line.” I could have ignored her but I was in a bitchy mood so I turned and whispered to her husband “I do too. I hate that I always get stuck standing in front of trash.”

I know she wanted to curse me out but I had my ‘I wish you would face on, so they just went to another line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
I have a family member who is a manager for the local newspaper here. He can't fill routes.. I mean routes that pay $400-$500/week. He can't find employees. Why? B/c people refuse to wake up early to throw papers and to work 7 days a week. People on food stamps should suck it up and take these kinds of jobs but why should they? They get free food from their Uncle Sam. It makes the liberals feel warm and fuzzy to give and give and give.. but all they are is bad parents refusing to give out tough love to solve real problems.
I love when people post things like this because it shows how truly out of touch with reality they are. I did the paper route thing when I was in college. First I tried a walking route – I was in a safe area and my boyfriend would go with me but along came the rainy season and I was always sick and tired and my grades started to suffer. So then I tried a driving route. Do you know what people think when they see a black couple driving an Infiniti driving through their neighborhood at 2 miles an hour think? Call the police! I got pulled over like 50 times in this same damn neighborhood. Plus I had to fill up every two days and then when I got my paycheck I was pissed because a driving route paid .10 less a paper than the walking route.

Aside from that, many people don’t take those jobs because they can’t afford to. When I got laid off from my job, I was receiving about $700 a month in unemployment, $200 in food stamps and my sons daycare was $170 a week (that’s $680 a month) but with my 4C I only had to pay $38 and full Medicaid benefits for my child.

So with my $700 I had to pay my $590 rent for my very modest one bedroom apartment, $152 for daycare, plus my car payment, gas, insurance, light bill, phone bill, etc. so that whole $700 in entitlements that I got didn’t go very far. In the end, I would take my family members to the store and buy them food and they would give me cash for my lights or gas or whatever.

When I did start getting job offers, I couldn’t just accept the first one because I had to think about my child. Yep, could’ve went and worked at Crappy Job A making $8.75 an hour, but they only wanted me to work 28 hours a week. Well pretax that’s almost a $1,000 so that’s more than my $700 right. Oh but you want me to work at night? So now I have to find a sitter. And part-time people don’t qualify for health benefits?

So at the end of the day, working for a living I would end up with about $800 to pay for my rent, car, payment, gas, insurance, light bill, phone bill, etc. PLUS the $680 in daycare and buy food, and my son is not longer going to have health coverage. But at least I’m working and setting a good example for my son. Even if I have to feed him mashed potatoes every day and water down his milk to make it last, that’s okay because I am not taking anything from the government.

Yeah, that’s the attitude that breeds survivors. Or ruins families.

One of my beefs with government assistance is it hinders people more then it helps. I was receiving enough benefits to survive while I was unemployed but once I started working, all those benefits ended. So I had to turn down several jobs until I was offered one that would pay me enough to keep a roof over my head and still have enough to feed my child.

And I'm sure some smartass will come along and make a slick remark about single mothers, but I received child support from my son's father, which is how I was able to pay my car and it's insurance and the $420 I got from him a month is also what disqualified me from receiving cash assistance because I was receiving income.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM

307 posts, read 521,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
You worked two jobs and brought home 225 a week? Do you have a high school diploma?
Where did you live Manhattan? I pay 700 a month for a super nice place, almost 1000 square feet, 2 bedroom 2 bath.
REREAD her post. This was her budget AFTER she lost her second job, Not while she had a second job.

As for rent it depends on where you live. In Orange County, California; $650 in 2003 would get you a rat infested cardboard box. In middle America it can get you a nice house.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
You worked two jobs and brought home 225 a week? Do you have a high school diploma?
Where did you live Manhattan? I pay 700 a month for a super nice place, almost 1000 square feet, 2 bedroom 2 bath.
Good grief. Can we make a mandatory reading test a requirement for posting?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:10 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Please read the whole thing again. I had LOST my main job and had to rely on my 2nd job. It was a per diem position.

This was in the Seattle area, Everett to be exact. Look into it. Rents are exorbitant.

Of course I graduated high school. I also have a degree in Health Information. That alone made me uniquely overqualified for many positions I was desperate to obtain in the interim.

The arrogance and ignorance perpetuating the (currently) affluent in this country makes my stomach turn.

Side note: Someone repped me and wished me well on improving my situation. Just thought I'd mention that I am indeed doing well: I'm a private consultant, now working out of my home, bringing in approx. $65k/year (which is quite good considering the rural Rust Belt area in which I am located).

And I still go to thrift stores.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Good grief. Can we make a mandatory reading test a requirement for posting?
Yeah I misread the post. Where do I get off being human. Get off your high horse.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Please read the whole thing again. I had LOST my main job and had to rely on my 2nd job. It was a per diem position.

This was in the Seattle area, Everett to be exact. Look into it. Rents are exorbitant.

Of course I graduated high school. I also have a degree in Health Information. That alone made me uniquely overqualified for many positions I was desperate to obtain in the interim.

The arrogance and ignorance perpetuating the (currently) affluent in this country makes my stomach turn.

Side note: Someone repped me and wished me well on improving my situation. Just thought I'd mention that I am indeed doing well: I'm a private consultant, now working out of my home, bringing in approx. $65k/year (which is quite good considering the rural Rust Belt area in which I am located).

And I still go to thrift stores.
My question wasn't meant as insult. I have no idea who you are.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
My question wasn't meant as insult. I have no idea who you are.
Nice to know. But it certainly came out as one.

Water under the bridge.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Yeah I misread the post. Where do I get off being human. Get off your high horse.
Well it wasn't meant just for you. It's just something I've noticed all over CD. People skim, they don't read, then they comment or debate and have no idea what they're discussing. They do it repeatedly. It's annoying.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM

304 posts, read 888,391 times
Default Sanctimonious, aren't we?

Well, I have to apologize for my insensitivity to all of you who have received food stamps or had to work two jobs or had kids and had to manage a budget.

Evidently I've never been in a bind. Your experience is far more difficult than anything I could ever imagine or have lived through. My ignorance in the face of your difficulty is almost unforgivable. Please do not even think about anyone else or what their history could be. Yours is the most important story. You win, I bow down to your 'bigger victim' sob story.

My post was that this is a life style - my point (and the title) "Teach a man to fish."

Teach people how to take care of themselves, raise them up when they need it, so they won't have to do it again.

Evidently I'm an insensitive boob, an obviously wealthy and entitled Republican who could never understand how the little people live.

In deference to your greater victimhood, I'll just shut up and wait until they decide to stop taking JUST 35% of my income and take 50% so I can better 'help' you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies