U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 PM

25,851 posts, read 39,063,817 times

Advertisements

We have a family who recently moved in our community (maybe 2 months ago) and have no electricity on...that means no A/C either and the average temp. is 93 F during the day in Florida.

Do i feel sorry for them....I don't think so...they could have moved into a cheaper aprtment than a single family home with amenities...they have to maintain the yard as well since this is a HOA community.
The family has gone house to house to ask for milk, sugar, etc...in the beginning people gave them something but now they stopped. Over her rent is easily $ 1000.- a month for the house they are in which is the smallest out here, but there are apartments that are for rent with free move in specials and lower rent...

So please stop saying that all people who need food, food stamps are in the situation because of losing their job and they can't help it...If this family lost their job, they should at least have had money to set up the utilities in the first place or not move in...who the LL is I don't know but probably not the smartest either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,026,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is a common myth. It is extremely cheap to cook your own food. Compare feeding a family of four hotdogs and potato chips for a week vs cooking a cassarole...the cassarole will hands down be cheaper. And after you factor in the health care costs of eating hotdogs and chips for years, you realize how expensive junk food really is.
I was referring to what I see for prices in the grocery store. I do feel compassion for many young families trying to feed a family when I see how high priced groceries have become. We are an older couple that do watch what we eat,........ I cook. I also notice that even staples, eggs, bread, milk etc. have risen in price drastically in the past few years.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,258,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No you are being nasty.

You say generalizations are stupid but did just that. You cant prove that most on food stamps arent over weight or that they dont fill up their cart with nothing but junk food.

So if you wanna be real practice what you preach before you try and correct someone else
Most research-based studies (such as USDA's ERS and NEERS5) show that the percentage of food stamp recipients that are overweight and/or obese is generally the same percentage as non-recipients (except the adult, non-elderly women, who have a slightly higher chance (2%-4%) of increasing their BMI by 0.5% while on food stamps), and that they collectively consume the same amount of foods/nutrients as the average non-recipent, with the exception of a lower rate of purchase/consumption of fruits, and a higher rate of consumption of fish.

So, no I guess that NOBODY could prove that the majority of food stamp recipients are not overweight or are not super health-conscious consumers, because that isn't true, but I *can* tell you that they, as a collective group, are not at all different in their characteristics and food/shopping habits than other (non-food stamped) Americans.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,339,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne
Many people do pay a certain amount for food stamps. It's on a sliding scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Really?

I hope you can find a link, because my search came up [not surprisingly] EMPTY.

Not to mention the fact that the premise makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would people PAY for something they can't afford to begin with?

You qualify out of need...the only sliding scale is how much you are allotted based on income and family size.

That's the 'sliding scale'.
Yeah.....no.....there is no "paying" for food stamps....
You are given an amount based on income and number of family members living in your home....when your income goes up, you are to report that within 5 days....then your food stamp amount goes down accordingly.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,527,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is no joke.....

"...for those on food stamps, higher prices for milk, eggs, bread and other staples often mean tough choices and empty bellies. Many are forced to forgo fresh vegetables and meat, while loading up on pasta and potatoes. Others are turning to churches, food banks and other charities, which are already strained by the increased demand."

On food stamps and still hungry - May. 6, 2008

Some people are truly deserving, I don't dispute that. Having said that, how many of theses people with "empty bellies":

Have TV's
Have cable/satelite
Have cars/trucks that are more than they NEED
Have AC
Drink alcohol
Smoke cigarettes
Worked less than 50+ hours last week
By name brand clothing

Many is the answer. And that is called the consequences of making POOR decisions.

If none of the above is true about you, and you are going hungr, then I truly feel bad for you and don't mind some my tax dollars going to feed you.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 PM

3,229 posts, read 4,194,518 times
Well, let's see... Half a pound of Piccolini (on clearance) is still fifty cents. A can of tomatoes (on sale) is fifty cents. A can of black beans (on sale) is fifty cents. Olive oil is pricey, but Canola would be maybe a nickel, and salt plus celery seed would be another nickel. So, for about two bucks, I can throw together a quick meal, when it's just Hubby & Me. So, we'd just barely scrape by, at the buck-a-meal rate that the food stamp people are allowing. I can see how the kid is struggling. A pound of Cabbage is about fifty cents, and a meal for one person, steamed. That would leave another fifty cents for a piece of fresh fruit. That really leaves very little wiggle-room.

I was prepared to be unsympathetic. But instead, I'm feeling the girl's insecurity. Last few times I've been to the grocery, EVERYTHING I bought was marked down/out of stock/special. And still, I pay around twenty bucks for groceries. Admittedly, I got some great stuff....artisanal breads...Mozzarella...cottage cheese....banannas... And I get to float up to my suburban grocery in a Lexus SUV. I don't have to pick through overpriced junk at an inner-city grocery. Heaven knows how I'd manage to skimp on baby food.

I genuinely believe that the kid is having a rough time of it.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,339,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Well, let's see... Half a pound of Piccolini (on clearance) is still fifty cents. A can of tomatoes (on sale) is fifty cents. A can of black beans (on sale) is fifty cents. Olive oil is pricey, but Canola would be maybe a nickel, and salt plus celery seed would be another nickel. So, for about two bucks, I can throw together a quick meal, when it's just Hubby & Me. So, we'd just barely scrape by, at the buck-a-meal rate that the food stamp people are allowing. I can see how the kid is struggling. A pound of Cabbage is about fifty cents, and a meal for one person, steamed. That would leave another fifty cents for a piece of fresh fruit. That really leaves very little wiggle-room.

I was prepared to be unsympathetic. But instead, I'm feeling the girl's insecurity. Last few times I've been to the grocery, EVERYTHING I bought was marked down/out of stock/special. And still, I pay around twenty bucks for groceries. Admittedly, I got some great stuff....artisanal breads...Mozzarella...cottage cheese....banannas... And I get to float up to my suburban grocery in a Lexus SUV. I don't have to pick through overpriced junk at an inner-city grocery. Heaven knows how I'd manage to skimp on baby food.

I genuinely believe that the kid is having a rough time of it.
Please tell me where they sell Canola Oil for a nickel?
I've been paying way too much!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,092,738 times
The lady in front of me at the grocery store had a food stamp credit card with $1,000 credit on it. She spent $200, after ordering the clerk to go get her a better brand of milk. Am I supposed to think she is starving?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM

25,851 posts, read 39,063,817 times
Section 8 isn't that also for people who have less to spend on rent...I got many phone calls for a home that isn't in the category for section 8 vouchers and people were all willing to pay the rest out of pocket, so I wonder how badly they really neede the vouchers...or just to get a nice upgrade and live above their means!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,107,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The lady in front of me at the grocery store had a food stamp credit card with $1,000 credit on it. She spent $200, after ordering the clerk to go get her a better brand of milk. Am I supposed to think she is starving?
The card your referring to was probably her child support card that contains the money for her rent, her food, and her child care. They download all financial income on this card and it is suppose to cover everything. And it might not even have been welfare. It might have been the child support paid by the dad that goes through the system so that they can make sure he pays. Assumptions are a dangerous thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies