Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

From an Iraqi Blogger:

End of Another Year...

You know your country is in trouble when:

The UN has to open a special branch just to keep track of the chaos and bloodshed, UNAMI.
Abovementioned branch cannot be run from your country.
The politicians who worked to put your country in this sorry state can no longer be found inside of, or anywhere near, its borders.
The only thing the US and Iran can agree about is the deteriorating state of your nation.
An 8-year war and 13-year blockade are looking like the country's 'Golden Years'.
Your country is purportedly 'selling' 2 million barrels of oil a day, but you are standing in line for 4 hours for black market gasoline for the generator.
For every 5 hours of no electricity, you get one hour of public electricity and then the government announces it's going to cut back on providing that hour.
Politicians who supported the war spend tv time debating whether it is 'sectarian bloodshed' or 'civil war'.
People consider themselves lucky if they can actually identify the corpse of the relative that's been missing for two weeks.

Al Qaeda? That's laughable. Bush has effectively created more terrorists in Iraq these last 4 years than Osama could have created in 10 different terrorist camps in the distant hills of Afghanistan. Our children now play games of 'sniper' and 'jihadi', pretending that one hit an American soldier between the eyes and this one overturned a Humvee.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I see more bombs killed people. Do these people actually want peace? Or are we just assuming they do? For me all that violence would send me into an uproar, I cannot imagine americans putting up with that.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I see more bombs killed people. Do these people actually want peace? Or are we just assuming they do?
That's our problem. We assume everyone wants to live in a "democracy", so we impose it and shove it down their throats. Iraq was better off with Saddam in power, at least they seem to think so. I would trade 3000 American lives for that in a heartbeat.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
That's our problem. We assume everyone wants to live in a "democracy", so we impose it and shove it down their throats. Iraq was better off with Saddam in power, at least they seem to think so. I would trade 3000 American lives for that in a heartbeat.
I think it is more of they dont know anything different mentality. I certainly do not think they were better of with Saddam, he was a killing machine.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
So, 3,000 American lives in exchange for an execution that doesn't make us safer is worth it? Why was the blood of those (at least) 3,000 spilled, then? To satisfy your blood lust? To make you feel like the good ol' US of A kicks butt? That remark just depresses me. I would sure hope that you are not representative of what our country stands for anymore, but I'm afraid that you might be.
It has nothing to do with us kicking butt. LOL Read the entire post. I said Countless lives where saved by us going in. They might not have been American lives But they ARE STILL HUMAN. I would Gladly give 20,000 american lives My own included if it saves 100's of 1000's. I don't like war anymore than most. But a few lives for many is worth the cause. There are pro's to war ppl just choose to ignore them.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
From an Iraqi Blogger:

End of Another Year...

You know your country is in trouble when:

The UN has to open a special branch just to keep track of the chaos People consider themselves lucky if they can actually identify the corpse of the relative that's been missing for two weeks.

Al Qaeda? That's laughable. Bush has effectively created more terrorists in Iraq these last 4 years than Osama could have created in 10 different terrorist camps in the distant hills of Afghanistan. Our children now play games of 'sniper' and 'jihadi', pretending that one hit an American soldier between the eyes and this one overturned a Humvee.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/
Wonder why the Iraqies are not doing the work? We send ppl over there for work, but they have non HMMMM. They fight because we give them no hope. Why don't we give them hope and work? Don't say even the cops are crooked there because well they have families to feed and just want ppl to get on with there life. And they will do what ever it takes.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM

454 posts, read 905,333 times
I must admit that I sit back and chuckle at the fact that too many Americans consider history as what happened on last nights newscast.

I won't argue the Iraq war while it is ongoing in that it is as fruitful as arguing WW2 in March of 1942. It's not over.

What amazies me is to read the shortsighted posts that portend that the idea of WMD's, overthrowing Sadam (may he never rest in peace) and all that is happening in Iraq was created by the George the Devil.

So, since history is writen and verifiable, please allow me to do a short walk down memory lane (very short)

Remember the 1st Iraq war? Does anybody remember that "highway of death" where we were blowing the crap out of the retreating army? At that time Bush 41 stopped the war in that we completed the mission. The screams from the press and the Democrates were as follows:

Mr. President, you were 90 miles outside of Bagdad. You had the army on the run. Why did you not finish the job? How can we call this a victory when Sadam is still in power? You failed Mr. President.

Please tell me that some of you have long enough recall to remember that?

As for the overthrow of Sadam. Our President called for regime change. The congress agreed and all those who read the reports agreed that the WMD programs that Sadam was working on and had, (and had used on the kurds) were a threat. The United Nations agreed and kept passing resolution after resolution regarding Iraq, all of whom were ignored. So, like I said, the president called for regime change.... that would be President William Jefferson Clinton. Yes, indeed, he did.

So, before you completely rewrite history so that the Iraq issue started in a meeting at Crawford Texas, I would recommend that you review history beyond just this administration.

And yes, I am ready for the "but Bush took us in" arguement, and "there are other ways to get regime change" argument, and all of those are correct, and each is arguable in the validity of action, but the facts remain as stated above.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM

But Bush, But Bush, but Bush.....evil.....satan..... it's a coming!!!!LOL

Old 12-30-2006, 08:47 PM

311 posts, read 618,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
I must admit that I sit back and chuckle at the fact that too many Americans consider history as what happened on last nights newscast.

I won't argue the Iraq war while it is ongoing in that it is as fruitful as arguing WW2 in March of 1942. It's not over.

What amazies me is to read the shortsighted posts that portend that the idea of WMD's, overthrowing Sadam (may he never rest in peace) and all that is happening in Iraq was created by the George the Devil.

So, since history is writen and verifiable, please allow me to do a short walk down memory lane (very short)

Remember the 1st Iraq war? Does anybody remember that "highway of death" where we were blowing the crap out of the retreating army? At that time Bush 41 stopped the war in that we completed the mission. The screams from the press and the Democrates were as follows:

Mr. President, you were 90 miles outside of Bagdad. You had the army on the run. Why did you not finish the job? How can we call this a victory when Sadam is still in power? You failed Mr. President.

Please tell me that some of you have long enough recall to remember that?

As for the overthrow of Sadam. Our President called for regime change. The congress agreed and all those who read the reports agreed that the WMD programs that Sadam was working on and had, (and had used on the kurds) were a threat. The United Nations agreed and kept passing resolution after resolution regarding Iraq, all of whom were ignored. So, like I said, the president called for regime change.... that would be President William Jefferson Clinton. Yes, indeed, he did.

So, before you completely rewrite history so that the Iraq issue started in a meeting at Crawford Texas, I would recommend that you review history beyond just this administration.

And yes, I am ready for the "but Bush took us in" arguement, and "there are other ways to get regime change" argument, and all of those are correct, and each is arguable in the validity of action, but the facts remain as stated above.
dufferz, at a time when people want to rewrite history to suit the situation, I think this has been a great history lesson. One may argue with the history of the past before any of us were alive, and we may speculate if the facts were presented correctly, but I was alive when these things happened! I can't see how anyone could argue with this "short walk down memory lane."

Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Default Not Generalization, Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
This is a baseless characterization of people we don't know personally. This isn't Republican or Democrat. Just as if you told me Bill Clinton couldn't keep his pants on, I'd say you don't know him personally, you can't make this generalization.
Yes, that generalization CAN be made. When Bush says "I don't pay attention to polls", what he is really saying is he does not pay attention to what American citizens think and want to happen. We the people ARE the country and political life is supposed to be a life of SERVICE to the citizens. Bush acts like a dictator. Actually, I think he's the Manchurian Candidate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies