Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM

104 posts, read 417,417 times

Advertisements

Every time I go downtown in any major city some rude aggressive panhandler will try to hit me up for money. Frankly, I'm sick of it. Nashville is TERRIBLE. If I had the opportunity to live downtown, this would probably stop me cold. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
um, ever thought about ignoring them? my typical response is "i don't carry cash." usually works pretty well.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 PM

104 posts, read 417,417 times
Um, it's kinda of hard to ignore someone who steps right in front of you and speaks to you face to face; and by the way um, you didn't answer my question. I'm curious, is that the way you would like to live, walking around your neighborhood constantly ignoring people and lying to them when they force you to acknowledge their presence? Doesn't make for a great walking experience IMOP. By the way, they know darn well you are lying to them, which in my experience often gets you a rude, sometimes obscene remark as you try to walk past without creating a scene. Get real, pretending a problem isn't a problem doesn't do anything to solve it. Maybe you should start your own thread about how you deal with panhandlers.

Last edited by watchmanonthewall; 05-07-2008 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Um, it's kinda of hard to ignore someone who steps right in front of you and speaks to you face to face; and by the way you um, you didn't answer my question. Maybe you should start your own thread about how you deal with panhandlers.
The answer to the question is no, I don't think they are, because it's easily ignored. I'm sorry they come up in your face and make you uncomfortable, but really all you have to do is say sorry, I can't help you out, and just keep walking. Maybe they're a different breed here in Chicago, but they usually back off after that.

Being so condescending was totally unnecessary. In return, I say Nashville's terrible anyway.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
no, just say no or ignore them. It is not a big deal. Why would this stop you from living somewhere?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
um, ever thought about ignoring them? my typical response is "i don't carry cash." usually works pretty well.
I like that!!! I'm going to use that from now on, I usually just smile and no

Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I've run into some really nasty ones in Chicago the past few months. It's strange, because for the past 7 years I've never been bothered by them other than asking for money and then ignoring me as I ignore them. Lately though, I've been harassed on an almost weekly basis.

Last week a man asked me for my lunch, and when I said "sorry man" nicely, he started screaming at me, told me "Thanks anyway MAN, hope you don't choke on that lunch now..."

The week before I had a man ask me for money downtown, and when I ignored him he started yelling down the street that he was going to "whoop my sorry little white ass" and make me his *****.

I was really shocked at these two situations, because I'm either nice to homeless people, or just "kindly" ignore them. Lately though, they've been getting right in my face and not letting people walk by, yelling at people, threatening people if they don't give them money, strage. It's kinda scary when they start following you down the street and yelling at you in the middle of the lunch hour crowd. I'm a lover, not a fighter! I've never been in a fight in my whole life, and don't react well to being thrown into stuff like taht.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I like that!!! I'm going to use that from now on, I usually just smile and no
I usually don't have to get to the "look, I don't carry cash" part, because usually a "no" and continuing to walk works, but if someone just keeps persisting, that's where it leads to.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've run into some really nasty ones in Chicago the past few months. It's strange, because for the past 7 years I've never been bothered by them other than asking for money and then ignoring me as I ignore them. Lately though, I've been harassed on an almost weekly basis.

Last week a man asked me for my lunch, and when I said "sorry man" nicely, he started screaming at me, told me "Thanks anyway MAN, hope you don't choke on that lunch now..."

The week before I had a man ask me for money downtown, and when I ignored him he started yelling down the street that he was going to "whoop my sorry little white ass" and make me his *****.

I was really shocked at these two situations, because I'm either nice to homeless people, or just "kindly" ignore them. Lately though, they've been getting right in my face and not letting people walk by, yelling at people, threatening people if they don't give them money, strage. It's kinda scary when they start following you down the street and yelling at you in the middle of the lunch hour crowd. I'm a lover, not a fighter! I've never been in a fight in my whole life, and don't react well to being thrown into stuff like taht.
maybe the homeless are getting hit hard by the nasty economy too. *shrug*

Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
San Francisco is overrun by them and its really irritating. Its like every alley smells like **** and Id venture to guess half of them are mentally ill.

Last year,
I was driving my Mom and Dad somewhere and we were at the stoplight at First and Market, I swear on a stack of bibles, this tall homeless man who looked 40 or so up and takes off all his clothes and stands there stark naked singing "Battle Hymn of The Republic".

Another time,
I was casual carpooling into The City and usually you get dropped off at the Transbay Terminal(a bus station) so I got out of the car and this homeless lady is squatting on Fremont Street taking a dump-like in front of all the morning commuters. All the while shouting obsenities. Not a pretty sight.

We need to get our act together on this issue once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies