Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 PM

18,734 posts, read 7,606,770 times

Advertisements

Poster nap1313 linked to some recent studies that are finding more and more, that people who get the current Covid-19 Vaccines from Pfizer or Moderna, not only have a much smaller chance of getting sick from the virus, but also are much less likely to transmit the virus to others who are not vaccinated.

Quote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...li-study-shows

The Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE Covid-19 vaccine appeared to stop the vast majority of recipients in Israel becoming infected, providing the first real-world indication that the immunization will curb transmission of the coronavirus.

The vaccine, which is being rolled out in a national immunization program that began Dec. 20, was 89.4% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed infections.
Quote:
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...moderna-pfizer

....a growing body of evidence suggests the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines do, in fact, cut down on viral transmission. Two recent studies show some pretty favorable results — one from the UK that found that two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine cut down by 86 percent someone’s chances of developing an infection that they could pass along, the other a study in Israel that found an 89.4 percent reduction (though it should be noted that the Israeli study has yet to be fully released).
This is excellent news, and indicates that with these vaccines, we can make large strides toward completely eradicating the Covid-19 virus. The sooner we can get to throwing away our masks, dining out regularly, attending baseball game in FULL stadiums with standing room only and movies in full theaters, letting our kids attend normal classes in person at their schools without need for masks, Zoom conferences and six-foot spacing, the happier we will all be.

And the news that vaccinated people won't give the virus to anybody near them, is (hopefully) the final nail in the coffin for this virus.

These studies are not finished, they still have more to do, before they can publish a final conclusion. But their preliminary results are looking better and better for a return to full normalcy, once everybody who wants a vaccine, gets one.

Last edited by Roboteer; 02-28-2021 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 02:42 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
I hope these findings are correct, that would be a big step getting back to some sense of normalcy.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:43 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Poster nap1313 linked to some recent studies that are finding more and more, that people who get the current Covid-19 Vaccines from Pfizer or Moderna, not only have a much smaller chance of getting sick from the virus, but also are much less likely to transmit the virus to others who are not vaccinated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...li-study-shows

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...moderna-pfizer

This is excellent news, and indicates that with these vaccines, we can make large strides toward completely eradicating the Covid-19 virus. The sooner we can get to throwing away our masks, dining out regularly, attending baseball game in FULL stadiums with standing room only and movies in full theaters, letting our kids attend normal classes in person at their schools without need for Zoom conferences and six-foot spacing, the happier we will all be.

And the news that vaccinated people won't give the virus to anybody near them, is (hopefully) the final nail in the coffin for this virus.

These studies are not finished, they still have more to do, before they can publish a final conclusion. But their preliminary result are looking better and better for a return to full normalcy, once everybody who wants a vaccine, gets one.
That may not be enough and could lead to disruptive outbreaks and, worse, variants that defeat the vaccine and our immunity. We need to do what Israel is doing is incentivize vaccination by making the things you mention like sports events, theaters, restaurants even jobs only open to those who have been vaccinated or can show a negative test taken in the past two days. Get a shot or get left behind.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Fauci will still insist that a fully vaccinated person needs to mask up and stay 6 feet away outdoors from another fully vaccinated person just in case of that 0.0001 percent chance that one of them will transmit Covid to the other. I just saw my vaccinated neighbor (she works as a hospital admin) wearing a mask while washing her car in HER OWN driveway. Her two daughters (both under 10 years old) were also wearing masks while tumbling on their own front lawn as well.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:06 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Fauci will still insist that a fully vaccinated person needs to mask up and stay 6 feet away outdoors from another fully vaccinated person just in case of that 0.0001 percent chance that one of them will transmit Covid to the other. I just saw my vaccinated neighbor (she works as a hospital admin) wearing a mask while washing her car in HER OWN driveway. Her two daughters (both under 10 years old) were also wearing masks while tumbling on their own front lawn as well.
I am glad I live in a town without mask rules. I wear a face shield in Walmart and most residents mask up there but you can go there or anywhere and choose to not wear a mask. I think masks do help but people by themselves outside or driving with a mask on just amazes me.

Hopefully these studies are correct and the vaccine puts a big dent in covid. My only concern are variants that are not stopped with the current vaccines. Its going to take what 8 months to vaccinate everyone who wants one. What if we have to start all over again in say October with a booster? We might only get 70% to do the first set of vaccines. How many are going to want to go through it another time the same year? If say only half do the booster and we have a much stronger strain out there. This may not end as fast as we hope.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am glad I live in a town without mask rules. I wear a face shield in Walmart and most residents mask up but you can go there or anywhere and choose to not wear a mask. I think masks do help but people by themselves outside or driving with a mask on just amazes me.

Hopefully these studies are correct and the vaccine puts a big dent in covid. My only concern are variants that are not stopped with the current vaccines. Its going to take what 8 months to vaccine everyone who wants one. What if we have to start all over again in say October? We might only get 70% to do the first set of vaccines. How many are going to want to go through it another time the same year?

My county has mask rules indoors and outdoors when you are within 6 feet of someone you don't live with but no rules about wearing a mask on your own drive way unless your neighbor is right there with you. They say the vaccine works against the severe cases on the new variants but are slightly less effective against getting a mild case of certain variants.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:16 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
My county has mask rules indoors and outdoors when you are within 6 feet of someone you don't live with but no rules about wearing a mask on your own drive way unless your neighbor is right there with you. They say the vaccine works against the severe cases on the new variants but are slightly less effective against getting a mild case of certain variants.

My county has no rules. My town has no rules. My state has no rules. Some national chains have signs on the door but they do not enforce them. I get that the current vaccine works somewhat against the current variants. But you are assuming there will not be more variants that might be harder to stop with our current vaccines. Anything is possible. If a new strain appears say in August which the vaccines cannot stop we will be back to square one. It will take months just to create the new vaccine and produce it and then 8 months to jab everyone who wants a jab. We still have 400,000 new cases daily world wide. The more cases there are the greater possibility of mutations of the virus. Hopefully we get lucky and the worst case does not happen.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:48 AM

462 posts, read 207,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That may not be enough and could lead to disruptive outbreaks and, worse, variants that defeat the vaccine and our immunity.
We're already having "disruptive outbreaks", for a year now, aren't we? How could a vaccine that has passed the tests these have, lead to more? I thought the whole idea was to REDUCE such outbreaks, and eventually eliminate them?

Given the test results so far, we can be pretty confident that the present vaccines can pretty much eradicate the original Covid-19. Once it can't infect 95% of the people it used to, and 95% of the people who used to spread it, now can't, it will die out.

We don't know what the result will be on the "variants" popping up. A few tests have shown that it seems to work just as well on some of them. But a lot more research has to be done before we can predict that with confidence.

Plus if most of the population gets vaccinated and infections from the variants drops off as much as infections from the original Covid, that's a pretty good sign, too. But there hasn't been time for that to happen yet. So we'll have to see about the variants.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:51 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That may not be enough and could lead to disruptive outbreaks and, worse, variants that defeat the vaccine and our immunity. We need to do what Israel is doing is incentivize vaccination by making the things you mention like sports events, theaters, restaurants even jobs only open to those who have been vaccinated or can show a negative test taken in the past two days. Get a shot or get left behind.
Yeah, I don't think so.

People in the West aren't going to put up with that crap. Or at least I hope not anyway...

Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

This is excellent news, and indicates that with these vaccines, we can make large strides toward completely eradicating the Covid-19 virus. The sooner we can get to throwing away our masks, dining out regularly, attending baseball game in FULL stadiums with standing room only and movies in full theaters, letting our kids attend normal classes in person at their schools without need for masks, Zoom conferences and six-foot spacing, the happier we will all be.

But I like having the theater kinda to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies