Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 07:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
In america anyone, no matter his/her family's status or political connections, can be successful, even a janitor's son or daughter. in your country, china, no one who isn't politically connected to the party can rise above their birth status.

opportunity is why you are working in america, betta, instead of choosing to purse a career in china. you could have stayed in communist china and did not. you criticize the country giving you something you could not get at home in china.
Most of my college friends stayed in China and they are very successful on average. I missed the time when China was developing extremely fast and there were tremendous opportunities for business or career.

It may have been a mistake for me to come to the US, but I already made my choice and I need to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 07:27 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Abolishing honors programs and "gifted & talented" programs wont do anything to help the underperforming students. The kids who are better prepared/talented will still be who they are. And in the real world will still be the more productive, innovative and wealthy. The poor performing kids adult life outcomes wont be enhanced because the special classes for the smarter kids were scrapped. They'll still drop out at the same rate, go to prison at the same rate, get knocked up out-of-wedlock at the same rate and be stuck in low paying jobs at the same rate.

This doesnt solve any problem. Its just left-wing stupidity and their refusal to acknowledge internal group culture and accountability as being meaningful factors in group performance. Only victimhood narratives are allowable.
The shutdown of in-person learning is having a similar result. While some decry forcing the schools to open is "white supremacy", see School Reopening = White Supremacy, the people who are into education and accomplishment form learning PODS, or Parent Organized Discovery Sites Upending Public Education in Age of COVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
From a Pasco, WA teacher's union chief (link), (t)he translation appears to be that wanting a functioning society is equal to white privilege.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Now, in the COVID era, this will allow parents who are educationally motivated and have some resources to supplant a public school system now reeling from the COVID pandemic. Since they are parent-organized they will be able to filter out those with special needs or behavioral problems. Thus, inequality will be enhanced, not lessened.

When everything is not focused on COVID this will reduce the constituency for taxpayer-supported school. Another case where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Those supporting slow reopenings are hurting those they want to help; another typical perverse result. In a worst-case scenario, this will gut the public-service unions, and the public schools.

Not a good thing, but inevitable the way things are going.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Abolishing honors programs and "gifted & talented" programs wont do anything to help the underperforming students. The kids who are better prepared/talented will still be who they are. And in the real world will still be the more productive, innovative and wealthy. The poor performing kids adult life outcomes wont be enhanced because the special classes for the smarter kids were scrapped. They'll still drop out at the same rate, go to prison at the same rate, get knocked up out-of-wedlock at the same rate and be stuck in low paying jobs at the same rate.
We've got to redouble our efforts then, retriple them even. More equity education, more anti-racist policy. Leftist solutions haven't failed, they just haven't been tried hard enough!

Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
To quote my relative that taught early grades for years....."some kids would show up having never read a book, not knowing their alphabet etc. They'd have a chance if not for the parents."

You put 95% of the kids from that school in my care as a baby (some will have mental impairment due to birth defects due to drugs, lead paint or whatever)....and I guarantee you that they'd be doing well academically right now.

These racial excuses make me want to throw up. The villian here is lowered expectations.

The PARENTS aren't preparing the kids. The kids have the ability. But hmmmm blame the parents or blame racism? Well that one is easy. Easy for the politician and the superintendent....not so easy on the kids eh?

Old 02-28-2021, 08:39 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
To quote my relative that taught early grades for years....."some kids would show up having never read a book, not knowing their alphabet etc. They'd have a chance if not for the parents."

You put 95% of the kids from that school in my care as a baby (some will have mental impairment due to birth defects due to drugs, lead paint or whatever)....and I guarantee you that they'd be doing well academically right now.
That's some impressive hubris right there.

If you know how to make any kid smart, guaranteed, write a book and tell the world. You could solve all our problems.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

These racial excuses make me want to throw up. The villian here is lowered expectations.

The PARENTS aren't preparing the kids. The kids have the ability. But hmmmm blame the parents or blame racism? Well that one is easy. Easy for the politician and the superintendent....not so easy on the kids eh?
But that's not what adoption, twin and other studies that make environment the variable have suggested. You might get up to 40% improvement, but you'd be improving poor white outcomes too and not changing disparity much.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That's some impressive hubris right there.

If you know how to make any kid smart, guaranteed, write a book and tell the world. You could solve all our problems.
Poor kids are just as smart as white kids .

Old 02-28-2021, 08:56 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Academic success is pretty much the only way for Asian kids to move up in the US.
They have no chance in sports, performing arts, music...or just being a "good looking blond guy/girl" to be hired.
Most Black and Hispanic kids have no chance of moving up in things like sports,performing arts etc.

Few Black kids will make it to the pro level in sports. So focusing on good paying jobs through education needs to be a bigger focus.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
china has a dictator installed by communist party leaders. xi was not voted into office by the people.

chinese government officials throw peoples, individuals or groups of people, who disagree with the government in prison or worse.

betta, america has a free press unlike china that censors the news government officials don't like. I live in america, not under a rock, and you do, too. why deny the truth?

done.
Do you even understand what capitalism and communism mean?
Communism requires collective ownership of means of production. China has that? What is your level of education?

Those who disagree with the government in Iran or Saudi Arabia may have trouble as well, but do you consider Iran a communist country?

Every nation has its own taboo. In Thailand, it is a crime to criticize the king. In South Korea, it is a crime to promote "Communism". In Germany, it is a crime to deny the holocaust.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:01 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I predict that the majority of urban "minority" kids now in school are going to have a much tougher time trying to succeed in life than their counterparts of even 30 years ago -- and the liberals will be mostly to blame for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies