Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 08:11 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What do masks have to do with businesses failing?

It's called overreach of government. they ordered businesses to shut down like they ordered all businesses to require masks. the businesses in my state have no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
I have to agree with the airline on this. I don't agree with mandatory vaccines, but I do support mask requirements.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:00 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
that's funny I have always excelled in academics. there is a right to movement. some may say this does not apply to flying but there is a right to movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedo...turn%20to%20it.

its you who have failed.
Fine. They could have rented a car. Then they wouldn't have had to mask up.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Fine. They could have rented a car. Then they wouldn't have had to mask up.

Depends on how far they have to go. I have a friend who lives in Boston and his entire side of the family lives in California (mostly L.A. area but he has one brother who lives here in the Bay Area). He can't bring his wife and kids here because his 3 year old won't keep his mask on and he was told they would be put on the no fly list and fined if his kid doesn't stay masked the entire flight (he can pull it down to eat but has to put it back on between bites). He is planning to wait until the mask requirement is lifted before they come back for a visit but it could last years. They don't want to drive from Boston to L.A. just for a visit of a week or so.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:06 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
How can you be so mad and want to get revenge for something like this. Are you also 4.

I mean it is still a free country. And a private business should be able to set its own rules. Especially for Health & Safety concerns.

If you do like a airline, store or anyplace that requires mask. Then don't go there. Or open your own business.

You would have to prove that the requirement was completely unreasonable. And as long as you still have some doctors that say mask help you can not prove that.

Most you can say is it is debatable.

And courts will have to decide if the concerns of the American disabilities act. Will allow one person to jeopardize the health & safety of 100 others.
The act required business to make reasonable accommodations. Is it reasonable to give the kid a private plane or put 100 people at risk? People smarter than me would have to decide this.
And shame on the parents. If that was my kid I would have checked before taking them anywhere. If they had a condition that required special treatment.
I agree that a reasonable person would have checked with the airlines ahead of time and have it all set up.

However, the mother reports that their son is familiar with flying and enjoys it. So presumably, their doctor's note strategy has worked before with more success.

Clearly, it worked for getting him on the flight to Las Vegas.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-26-2021 at 03:24 AM..

Old 03-26-2021, 03:23 AM

"Reasonable accommodations" does not mean "I don't have to follow the rules because I have a disability."

Take stores, for example. If shoes, shirts, and masks are required to enter a store, and you show up wearing nothing but a Speedo with claims of a skin condition associated with your disability, is the store legally required to let you wander around barefoot, bare chested, and bare faced?

No.

A reasonable accommodation would be to offer online shopping and pickup.

If the store offered delivery service, then that would be another reasonable accommodation. If it did not offer home delivery, then this is not a reasonable accommodation.

A face shield might be a reasonable accommodation for a face mask at Costco, or on an airplane. Doubt that it would be seen as a reasonable accommodation for staff working in an operating room.

Reasonable is the key word here with one side maintaining that if you disagree with a rule, then you don't have to follow it.

How in the world is this even close to reasonable?

Old 03-26-2021, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Depends on how far they have to go. I have a friend who lives in Boston and his entire side of the family lives in California (mostly L.A. area but he has one brother who lives here in the Bay Area). He can't bring his wife and kids here because his 3 year old won't keep his mask on and he was told they would be put on the no fly list and fined if his kid doesn't stay masked the entire flight (he can pull it down to eat but has to put it back on between bites). He is planning to wait until the mask requirement is lifted before they come back for a visit but it could last years. They don't want to drive from Boston to L.A. just for a visit of a week or so.
Waiting until the mask requirement is lifted, which will presumably be when enough people are vaccinated that deaths are down, seems reasonable.

I love our children and grandchildren to the moon and back, and the thought of exposing them to a illness that could lifelong consequences just so we can visit makes me cringe.

But now that all the adults in the family have been vaccinated thanks to age, health care careers, and lucky call to a rural Walgreens, we are planning a late spring family VRBO getaway at a place we can all get to by driving.

When the time comes, if the situation has gotten worse instead of better, this will no longer be a reasonable plan, and we'll cancel.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:40 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"Reasonable accommodations" does not mean "I don't have to follow the rules because I have a disability."

Take stores, for example. If shoes, shirts, and masks are required to enter a store, and you show up wearing nothing but a Speedo with claims of a skin condition associated with your disability, is the store legally required to let you wander around barefoot, bare chested, and bare faced?

No.

If the store offered delivery service, then that would be another reasonable accommodation. If it did not offer home delivery, then this is not a reasonable accommodation.

A face shield might be a reasonable accommodation for a face mask at Costco, or on an airplane. Doubt that it would be seen as a reasonable accommodation for staff working in an operating room.

Reasonable is the key word here with one side maintaining that if you disagree with a rule, then you don't have to follow it.

Your 'feelings' don't matter... the CDC say it's OK for this kid to fly without a mask.

Why are you so anti-science?

Old 03-26-2021, 08:19 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

No.

a grocery store near me told me a face shield is not enough. i called and said I can not wear a face mask can I wear a shield and they said NO. I called the same grocery store in another town and they said yes. i asked why the difference in policy when it was the same grocery chain and she said certain towns have different regulations.

i had a a senior relative call another grocery store asking if they will shop for her because medically she can not wear a mask. the store 's response was we can not shop for you but you do not have to wear the mask in the store. I was surprised they told her she did not have to wear a mask.

it seems like the law still says the disabled kid CAN fly without a mask.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:41 PM

15,527 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Your 'feelings' don't matter... the CDC say it's OK for this kid to fly without a mask.

Why are you so anti-science?
If true, that's good to know. Off topic, but I've heard that Alaska Airlines is really good about autistic kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies