Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 01:54 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I think referring to America as "a nation of immigrants" is dismissive and totally ignores the history of both groups.
Read the definition of "immigrant" and it clearly does not fit the description of the ancestors of either of those groups that inhabited America years ago.

African Americans did not immigrate to America, because slaves were bought to America against their own free will.

Native American were already in America and were the original inhabitants of the land.

i think you are looking to be offended.

you dont have a right to not be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 01:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
I think referring to America as "a nation of immigrants" is dismissive and totally ignores the history of both groups.
Read the definition of "immigrant" and it clearly does not fit the description of the ancestors of either of those groups that inhabited America years ago.

African Americans did not immigrate to America, because slaves were bought to America against their own free will.

Native American were already in America and were the original inhabitants of the land.
I suppose the counter is, the "Native Americans" had also immigrated to this land. ANd who knows what large % of African Americans immigrated after 1865 (or would it be 1808)?

Old 03-26-2021, 02:02 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I was born in America as were the overwhelming majority of Americans. We probably do have about 10% of our population are immigrants and if the Left has their way, they will import hundreds of millions of immigrants to cancel out the people that were born in America. I'm a Native American.
Indigenous. Adjective. relating to or being a people who are the original, earliest known inhabitants of a region, or are their descendants

Unless you are descendant of an indigenous people, you aren't a Native American. "Native American" is legally defined as descendant of the indigenous people of the lower 48 and indigenous Alaskans.

Indigenous people of Hawaii, Samoa, Guam, and our other colonies are "Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders". Indigenous peoples of Puerto Rico and USVI aren't "Native American" either. There are no native Navassa Islanders, there's no potable water on the island.

-

As of 2017, 14% of the US population was foreign born. 52% of those Americans, 10% of those European, 31% Asian, 5% African, and a rounding error of Aussies and Kiwis.

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:

Native Americans migrated from someplace. But yeah, if you want to find things to be upset about, concerning ancient history of the world, I'm sure you will never be bored.

Even Native Americans traveled this continent, conquered new lands, defended them from invaders, attacked their neighbors and encroached on the lands of their enemies. Or do you think all NA tribes were static, happy with their little plot of land and never traveled. A lot of tribes were nomadic, following the herd, living in one location in the summer, relocating to another in the winter, etc... Seriously, do you think only white Europeans engaged in any of that?

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
And who knows what large % of African Americans immigrated after 1865 (or would it be 1808)?
Big fat 0%. The importation of slaves was outlawed LONG before then.

All African Americans are of colonial descent. We were part of the founding of this nation. We are not immigrants.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:05 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I was born in America as were the overwhelming majority of Americans. We probably do have about 10% of our population are immigrants and if the Left has their way, they will import hundreds of millions of immigrants to cancel out the people that were born in America. I'm a Native American.
Hence the reason why the term indigenous people, or Native American Indian are used quite a bit.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:12 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Indigenous. Adjective. relating to or being a people who are the original, earliest known inhabitants of a region, or are their descendants

Unless you are descendant of an indigenous people, you aren't a Native American. "Native American" is legally defined as descendant of the indigenous people of the lower 48 and indigenous Alaskans.

Indigenous people of Hawaii, Samoa, Guam, and our other colonies are "Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders". Indigenous peoples of Puerto Rico and USVI aren't "Native American" either. There are no native Navassa Islanders, there's no potable water on the island.

-

As of 2017, 14% of the US population was foreign born. 52% of those Americans, 10% of those European, 31% Asian, 5% African, and a rounding error of Aussies and Kiwis.
I'm not buying the Woke Supremacists made up definition of "Native American." The plain meaning of Native American is one native to America, which I am.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:14 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:

Disrespectful to African Americans....sure but not just them

The notion that we're a "nation of immigrants" is a completely misleading straw man.

Every nation on Earth is a "nation of immigrants".

People have migrated across the planet since the dawn of man. We're just a younger county than most others. Even "native Americans" came here from someplace else originally.

And we're traditionally made up of LEGAL immigrants, who went through the process and wanted nothing more than to assimilate into American culture and become American citizens.

That's a very different thing than accepting hoards of illegal aliens and refugees.

Especially now, with no way to background check these people, much less ensure that they aren't brining in more and different strains of Covid into the Country.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:24 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
People have migrated across the planet since the dawn of man. We're just a younger county than most others. Even "native Americans" came here from someplace else originally.
This is another misconception. The U.S.A is NOT a new country.

We are older than ALL of the other countries in North and South America. This is the oldest nation in this hemisphere.

We are older than most African countries, and some European ones (Germany, Italy, Belgium, etc...)

Old 03-26-2021, 02:25 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

-

Nobody is "indigenous" in the way the word is usually used.

Literally every person on the planet is descended from ancestors who moved and migrated across the Earth.

But I was born in America....so now I'm indigenous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies