Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 10:29 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,947,355 times

Advertisements

I think referring to America as "a nation of immigrants" is dismissive and totally ignores the history of both groups.
Read the definition of "immigrant" and it clearly does not fit the description of the ancestors of either of those groups that inhabited America years ago.

African Americans did not immigrate to America, because slaves were bought to America against their own free will.

Native American were already in America and were the original inhabitants of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 10:36 AM

17,566 posts, read 17,546,564 times
Not necessarily. The nation (USA) was formed and named by those who came here from Europe. They also formed the basis of this nation’s government as well as the expansion westward. However they weren’t immigrants in the truest definition. They were colonist. There were no immigration laws at the time they came over from Europe to this land. They came here to form colonies for their home nation with the backing and support of their kings and queens and those part of their profits and materials had to be sent back to those kings and queens. They were still subjects to the kingdoms, not citizens of the new land. The colonist United to form their own government to break free from what they saw as unfair and restrictive rule by their home country’s royalty.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,422 posts, read 80,832,488 times
African Americans are immigrants, they came from Africa, whether it was voluntary or not, like many of the Asians (Chinese) who were brought here to build the railroads. Many claim that even the Native Americans came over from Russia via Alaska before the continents became detached.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:40 PM

62,818 posts, read 29,017,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I think referring to America as "a nation of immigrants" is dismissive and totally ignores the history of both groups.
Read the definition of "immigrant" and it clearly does not fit the description of the ancestors of either of those groups that inhabited America years ago.

African Americans did not immigrate to America, because slaves were bought to America against their own free will.

Native American were already in America and were the original inhabitants of the land.
We are no longer a nation of immigrants because for some time now we have been a nation of mostly U.S. born citizens time to shed that stupid label. The only ones who use that stupid label are those who think we should allow immigrants in whether they come here legally or illegally and in unlimited numbers.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:43 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,215,308 times
Quote:
Yes! It infuriates me when people say "we're all immigrants". It robs us of our heritage as Americans. I'm not an immigrant. I live in my own country. This is where my family is from. My ancestors were here in the colonial period and did the physical labor that built this nation.

You don't come to my country and call me an immigrant. Get out of here.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:45 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,215,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
African Americans are immigrants, they came from Africa, whether it was voluntary or not
Nobody who was born and raised in the U.S is an immigrant! Stop saying this nonsense.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:48 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,954,303 times
Quote:

Why do democrats use that line to justify bringing in unlimited numbers of Islamic psychopaths?

Old 03-26-2021, 01:48 PM

6,524 posts, read 2,904,749 times
I don't see a problem with it.

I was born here, but I am a descendant of immigrants.
Like most.

And yeah, the land bridge allowed natives to migrate here too from Asia.

It was the European Immigrants and Misc that built the place up and over time their children built more to what we have today. Otherwise we'd still be in huts living off the land and dying in the winter,..lol.

The America that is today is not at all the same as it was.

People don't come here for what Was. They come here for the infrastructure and amenities that was created by Immigrants along the way, imho.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:50 PM

30,207 posts, read 19,022,504 times
Quote:

I was born in America as were the overwhelming majority of Americans. We probably do have about 10% of our population are immigrants and if the Left has their way, they will import hundreds of millions of immigrants to cancel out the people that were born in America. I'm a Native American.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:51 PM

20,434 posts, read 12,354,924 times
no but treating African Americans like idiots who cant think for themselves and need nanny state gubbermint to save them is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies