Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 11:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
So Republicans agreed and are now throwing a hissyfit because they lost, HAHAAHAHA.
Yea the never Trumpers, HAHA.
And they will continue to lose, because they can't even acknowledge the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 12:24 AM

13,438 posts, read 4,281,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
And this is for all the people who truly believe the bill doesn’t repress votes and actually secured elections which it doesn’t.

you read the law? for absentee ballots.

In order to confirm the identity of the voter, such form shall require the elector to provide his or her name, date of birth, address as registered, address where the elector wishes the ballot to be mailed, and the number of his or her Georgia driver’s license or identification card issued … If such elector does not have a Georgia driver’s license or identification card … the elector shall affirm this fact in the manner prescribed in the application and the elector shall provide a copy of a form of identification … The form made available by the Secretary of State shall include a space to affix a photocopy or electronic image of such identification.

What's the problem again? I guess black people can't find their driver's license number or ID number on their damn I.D? Democrats treat blacks like children.

Showing your I.D in person to vote or put your D.L. or I.D. number on your absentee ballot form is horrible. Jim Crow on steroids. This represses votes. I guess Black people can't read their own D.L. or I.D.. LMAO!

meanwhile MLB, Coke, Delta and the NBA and other American companies have big money contracts with China and nobody dares to speak ill against the country and their human abuses. You can't make this up.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
"It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters."

They have done this in Ohio for the last decade plus...and in larger counties really since the debacle in 2004 when people stood in line for up to 8 hrs...to me this is stupid and is clearly meant as a way to suppress those that vote by mail.

I'm not as much against the idea of having to put your DL or State ID # on the ballot (we have to hear) but we don't have to enter it on the inner envelope like this makes them...that is another way to be able to throw ballots out if they don't take the time to enter that info twice...

"Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots."
W/ DeJoy's continued burning down of the USPS, this could cause a problem...mail that used to take 3 days not seems to take over a week...I sent a card on Dec 1st that didn't get delivered til after Christmas...there is simply no justifiable reason to limit the time you can request an absentee ballot by mail. Again this clearly is meant to suppress the # of people voting by this method.

"Drop boxes … shall be established at the office of the board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk or inside locations at which advance voting … is conducted in the applicable primary, election, or runoff and may be open during the hours of advance voting at that location. Such drop boxes shall be closed when advance voting is not being conducted at that location."

So this too is meant to making voting harder...you're forcing those that want to drop their ballot because of lack of trust in the USPS System to deliver on time, to have to park and go in between the hrs of 9-5 when early voting is being conducted...if you work 8-5 this is impossible...there is nothing wrong w/ putting secured drop boxes at the Bored of Elections...you can monitor 24-7 w/ cameras...many states do this.

"Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges"

This really only effects those in urban high population areas where few precincts serve tens of thousands of voters and lines take hours to get through...this can effectively suppress turnout because people get thirsty standing in line.
Two points - drop boxes weren’t even an option before 2020 and pandemic voting, and the guideline for a precinct is 2000 registered voters with no more than an hour wait. This is then administered by the local election board.

In the case of Fulton County, which has a bipartisan board, they would need to shrink the precinct, add polling places, or both.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
you read the law? for absentee ballots.

In order to confirm the identity of the voter, such form shall require the elector to provide his or her name, date of birth, address as registered, address where the elector wishes the ballot to be mailed, and the number of his or her Georgia driver’s license or identification card issued … If such elector does not have a Georgia driver’s license or identification card … the elector shall affirm this fact in the manner prescribed in the application and the elector shall provide a copy of a form of identification … The form made available by the Secretary of State shall include a space to affix a photocopy or electronic image of such identification.

What's the problem again? I guess black people can't find their driver's license number or ID number on their damn I.D? Democrats treat blacks like children.

Showing your I.D in person to vote or put your D.L. or I.D. number on your absentee ballot form is horrible. Jim Crow on steroids. This represses votes. I guess Black people can't read their own D.L. or I.D.. LMAO!
It’s clear this is designed to prevent ballot harvesting.

If Stacey Abrams and others weren’t actively doing it then they’d have no problem with an ID requirement. They could focus their efforts on “get out the ID” now for next year, and help those citizen residents without a DL get state voting ID - which is free.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:16 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/u...annotated.html

How can you read this and still support this law. I truly don’t get how any of this will make elections more secure. This is just a Republicans power grab to repress votes and make themselves more powerful.
Well hell, if the ny slime says so, it MUST be true!

Old 04-03-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
"It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters."

They have done this in Ohio for the last decade plus...and in larger counties really since the debacle in 2004 when people stood in line for up to 8 hrs...to me this is stupid and is clearly meant as a way to suppress those that vote by mail.

I'm not as much against the idea of having to put your DL or State ID # on the ballot (we have to hear) but we don't have to enter it on the inner envelope like this makes them...that is another way to be able to throw ballots out if they don't take the time to enter that info twice...

"Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots."
W/ DeJoy's continued burning down of the USPS, this could cause a problem...mail that used to take 3 days not seems to take over a week...I sent a card on Dec 1st that didn't get delivered til after Christmas...there is simply no justifiable reason to limit the time you can request an absentee ballot by mail. Again this clearly is meant to suppress the # of people voting by this method.

"Drop boxes … shall be established at the office of the board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk or inside locations at which advance voting … is conducted in the applicable primary, election, or runoff and may be open during the hours of advance voting at that location. Such drop boxes shall be closed when advance voting is not being conducted at that location."

So this too is meant to making voting harder...you're forcing those that want to drop their ballot because of lack of trust in the USPS System to deliver on time, to have to park and go in between the hrs of 9-5 when early voting is being conducted...if you work 8-5 this is impossible...there is nothing wrong w/ putting secured drop boxes at the Bored of Elections...you can monitor 24-7 w/ cameras...many states do this.

"Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges"

This really only effects those in urban high population areas where few precincts serve tens of thousands of voters and lines take hours to get through...this can effectively suppress turnout because people get thirsty standing in line.
If it wasn't so sad, it would funny to see all the EXCUSES for people NOT being able to vote when we have been voting since our inception.
If you WANT to vote, there is NOTHING in your way.

Heaven forbid you are a little inconvenienced. Way too Americans have become too soft and want everything delivered to them!

"Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges".

Are you too stupid to bring your OWN water? Typical, why don't you post the ENTIRE the section of the law that says what you claim to back it up?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-03-2021 at 05:37 AM..

Old 04-03-2021, 05:49 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The problem with many of these analyses are that they use the high water mark of pandemic voting (mobile vans, drop boxes) which didn’t exist before 2020 nor were codified in law.

I’m sorry, but I disagree with ballot harvesting. Everyone should have the opportunity to vote, but THEY need to make the minimal effort to vote. Having people from a 3rd party group fill in your ballot for you is not acceptable (immediate family is allowed to).

And claiming how horrible it is that the time to request an absentee ballot is cut in half when the new law still allows 3 MONTHS.

And The NY Times piece mentions “Georgia” closing voting locations. Precincts and voting locations are handled by the county election board.

From what I have read if someone does not have a DL they can bring their utility bill or simple have the last 4 digits of their SS number. There are enough different options for proving who you are that I don't see an issue. They are not closing voting locations but the state is mandating how many absentee drop boxes are allowed. Which in Fulton County it means 8 instead of 38. That could be a problem. There is also a big change where the secretary of state no longer is in charge of the elections. It will be a board appointed by the state house. And they will have the power to remove any election official they want and replace them with who they want. That could also be a problem.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
From what I have read if someone does not have a DL they can bring their utility bill or simple have the last 4 digits of their SS number. There are enough different options for proving who you are that I don't see an issue. They are not closing voting locations but the state is mandating how many absentee drop boxes are allowed. Which in Fulton County it means 8 instead of 38. That could be a problem. There is also a big change where the secretary of state no longer is in charge of the elections. It will be a board appointed by the state house. And they will have the power to remove any election official they want and replace them with who they want. That could also be a problem.
There are 2 things to prove -

1) citizenship
2) residency

Voter groups created the worry about the second point when there were rumors of people “moving” to Atlanta to vote in the runoff who had no plans to become a resident of Georgia. Did this occur? Unclear, but it was widely publicized.

Before the pandemic there were zero drop boxes in Fulton. You either mailed back your absentee ballot or you voted in person during early voting.

Think of it this way - if you’re able to get off your butt to request, fill in and drop off a ballot in a box somewhere, why couldn’t you drop it off in the mail or vote in person? A health concern in 2020 but every adult in Georgia is able to get vaccinated now. Not a need going forward.

As to your point about removing election officials, there is a process described in the law that would be followed. You can bet that if something like this happens it will be very public and under a lot of scrutiny.

Sadly there are a lot of uninformed and disengaged voters. There were cases of people complaining in 2020 when they voted in the wrong county. Really?

Old 04-03-2021, 06:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
I don't care what they do.... I've had enough of the entire system.

Let the left take total power. I've got better things to do with my time and energy rather than fighting these radicals

Old 04-03-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/u...annotated.html

How can you read this and still support this law. I truly don’t get how any of this will make elections more secure. This is just a Republicans power grab to repress votes and make themselves more powerful.
"Gov. Brian Kemp: Georgia's election law – Ignore Dems' false attacks. Here are the facts about bill I signed

"In their blatant assault on local election systems across the country, Democrats and the mainstream media are spreading lies and misinformation about Georgia’s Election Integrity Act that I recently signed into law."

"Instead of addressing specific proposals in SB 202, they have resorted to demonizing Georgians – and Americans – who support commonsense election reform measures. Democrats and partisan activists across the country, including President Biden, have falsely labeled Georgia’s new voting law as "Jim Crow 2.0."

"This rhetoric is disingenuous and completely false. Here is what SB 202 actually does:

• It expands access to early voting statewide by requiring two mandatory Saturdays and allowing local election officials the option of up to two Sundays during early voting. This change would apply to all 159 counties in Georgia for the first time and result in hundreds of hours of increased early voting opportunities across the state.
  • SB 202 requires all voters to provide a driver’s license or a free state ID card number to request and submit an absentee ballot. This would replace the cumbersome signature match process, thereby significantly streamlining – and securing – absentee ballot verification and tabulation. Every Georgia voter must already present some form of photo ID to vote in-person.
  • For the first time ballot drop boxes – which were not available to Georgia voters prior to the COVID-19 pandemic – are mandated in every county, while also ensuring all drop boxes are secured around the clock.
  • SB 202 protects polling locations from electioneering by private individuals. Within 150 feet of the precinct, election officials may provide water at stations. Beyond 150 feet, as previous Georgia law allowed, private individuals may campaign and provide food and water for voters.
  • It also requires local election officials to continue tabulating votes until counting is complete and mandates the use of security paper to ensure complete authentication of ballots.
As you can see, these reforms have nothing to do with "voter suppression" or "Jim Crow." The Election Integrity Act makes it easy to vote by expanding access to the polls and harder to cheat by ensuring the security of the ballot box."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/geor...gov-brian-kemp

Do you want some WATER with that crow?

"They will also forget to mention that Georgia – unlike Delaware – continues to have no-excuse absentee balloting and secured ballot drop boxes statewide."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/geor...gov-brian-kemp

Funny sleepy joe NEVER complained about his OWN states election laws!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-03-2021 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies