Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Do we blame them?!?!? Biden’s America sucks.
How about Trump's America of 2020 when much of the economy got shut down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, house prices are dramatically going up everywhere, even in states and cities where people don't want to move to.
When we bought our first house in 93 we saw a few then went with new construction and painted our way in. Our down payment was 3%. We're helping our daughter get her first home right now. We've bid on 4 homes and lost them all but got the 5th one. We are putting 20% down plus we are having to cover the difference between the offering price and they appraisal. A couple needs nearly 100,000 to get a home right now.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
So did I but my rent was $305 a month and I could afford it with a $7/ hr job. The same apartment now rents for $1200 but wages haven’t gone up proportionally. My college tuition was $5,000 a year - now it’s five times that.

Young people aren’t living in the same world we lived in.
Or move to a different world where nice 3 bedroom houses with double garage rent for $1200. Imagine what 1 bedroom apartments go for. As one of my favorite sayings goes, "Life is how you make it."

Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
How about Trump's America of 2020 when much of the economy got shut down?

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...s-in-2019.html

You had a problem with record low poverty rate for minorities in America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSqueezy_II_DoubleDip View Post
It’s neither ln Trump or Biden.

Well actually it is. They’re old enough to have enough influence on the world today.

Why did you create a duplicate account?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
https://www.census.gov/library/stori...s-in-2019.html

You had a problem with record low poverty rate for minorities in America?
What does that have to do with much of the economy being shut down in 2020 the year I brought up, not 2019. I couldn't get a haircut for at least 6 weeks.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:02 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with much of the economy being shut down in 2020 the year I brought up, not 2019. I couldn't get a haircut for at least 6 weeks.

You are an adult, and cannot manage to cut your own hair?

The economy was not shut down. Democrats simply acted like control freaks and got in the way of it.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:43 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Many young adults now face the choice of apartments where they can walk or ride buses to work, or live with parents and drive to work.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:58 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Even Millennials who work and achieve have trouble succeeding due to a runaway housing market, particularly in areas with high concentrations of jobs.

My 1 bedroom apartment over an hour from Boston in a previously working class suburb is $1800 a month (though heat is included and that includes extra for parking). How do you save a downpayment for a house when average 1 bedroom apartment costs are higher than 50% of an average salary? And when a starter home costs $350,000+, that's even more daunting. I thought I would be ready to buy this spring (as someone with an MS, no student debt, a salary well above my town's average income, and 20% down with a mortgage 3x my income) but all that's in my budget are 1 bedroom apartments that are meant as rental properties. 2 bedroom condos that in buildings I looked at in the fall are up $40-50K in less than 6 months, and you better come in with a cash offer or bid way above asking to have a chance.

Several peers (early 30s) who are buying now were able to pay off student loans and/or save for a downpayment by living with their parents for reduced rent for a decade. Rather than building a landlord's wealth, they chose to help their parents. In my social circle, far more people who live at home are professionals than slackers.

The past two decades have seen housing and education costs rise much faster than salaries. Of course people are staying at home and having to wait to be able to afford milestones that their parents hit a decade earlier than they are now. I know that's true for me - and my parents had far less education or career success!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:02 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This isn't a recent thing, and isn't a "Biden" problem.

This has been going on for the last 20+ years, kids who won't take flight. Or they go to college, but come back home, either to stay or because it was cheaper than paying their own way. Some, to save for a house, and they brought their partners with them for free rent for several years before launching.

Back in my day, I graduated college in the early 1980's, I lived in a condemned duplex instead of moving back into my parents house. Not that they were abusive, but just there were so many RULES, and in their house I was a child, and hello, I'd rather live in a condemned building than go back to that.

My generation didn't hang out with our parents. It was too uncomfortable. If you could escape your parent's company, you did, if even to escape to another part of the house or to the yard or a tiny garage apartment.

As parents, my generation wasn't so difficult to live with for our children as my parents were. So, those who needed to save money felt comfortable returning to a large house with several empty bedrooms while they saved up to buy better housing than a condemned duplex recently.

My parents are around your age and both they and their siblings lived at home until they could afford to buy a house. My parents even lived with my grandmother for a few years after they got married. They come from two very different cultures and that was still very common among their peers.

The only difference with your generation is they tended to get married earlier.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
We live in a community where affordable housing is non-existent. It is tough for young people It isn't unusual to have kids live with parents to save up some cash.

I think that's happening more and more.

Also, having had one of my sons come 'home' to live with us for awhile -- we had a blast. We enjoy our adult children. They are fun to hang out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies