Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
...because when given the choice,people would rather NOT live on top of one another.
Correction. some people would rather not live on top of each other. I'm very happy in my two-flat with my upstairs neighbor (and no I'm not just out of college either).

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
In Washington we use our Metro system extensively. This high gas price environment is great for me. High gas prices with long suburban commutes drives up real estate values for those of us who live in the city. What housing bubble?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Correction. some people would rather not live on top of each other. I'm very happy in my two-flat with my upstairs neighbor (and no I'm not just out of college either).
Indeed, MANY retired folks are finding the conveniences of living "in city" are starting to outweigh the privacy advantages of living further out - and MANY cities (particularly out West) are finding their core areas booming. Here in Seattle there are so many condo towers rising up along First Avenue that it's starting to remind me a bit of my time in New York City. Across the lake in Bellevue, the entire downtown core is being completely transformed from a commerical district to a mixed commercial/residential one as condo tower after condo tower springs up seemingly overnight. The population booms taking place in many downtown cores is astonishing and will completely redefine the nature of living in those cities. Ubanization (rather than suburbanization) is clearly a rising trend.

Ken

Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
In Washington we use our Metro system extensively. This high gas price environment is great for me. High gas prices with long suburban commutes drives up real estate values for those of us who live in the city. What housing bubble?
You have a GREAT Metro system in the DC. I used it a bit back in 1991 when I was sent back East do do some work at Andrews (didn't use it to get Andrews of course, but rather to sitesee after work).

Ken

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
If given the choice,this is your perfect home???

Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
When I stop at a red light and I am next to a CAT bus, I look inside. At night it is all lit up inside and you can see the garbage that rides those buses.

What woman by herself would get on that bus? What man would for that matter? One can argue the stereotype that rides a bus all one wants but I know what I see and it is scary.

Back in the mid 70s there was a rash of bus driver slashings. Anyone remember that back in NYC? They caught the slasher but it continued. After half a dozen bus driver slashing incidents the oinkers learned it was copy cats. They ended up catching 3 slashers. They would just walk on a bus, after it started moving, they would slash their throats.

Us kids also used to take the subway to Shea Stadium a couple times a week during our summer vacation. In those days it was almost all day games. The things we saw during those subway rides I can write a book on it.

Mass transit is no place for normal people.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
When I stop at a red light and I am next to a CAT bus, I look inside. At night it is all lit up inside and you can see the garbage that rides those buses.

What woman by herself would get on that bus? What man would for that matter? One can argue the stereotype that rides a bus all one wants but I know what I see and it is scary.

Back in the mid 70s there was a rash of bus driver slashings. Anyone remember that back in NYC? They caught the slasher but it continued. After half a dozen bus driver slashing incidents the oinkers learned it was copy cats. They ended up catching 3 slashers. They would just walk on a bus, after it started moving, they would slash their throats.

Us kids also used to take the subway to Shea Stadium a couple times a week during our summer vacation. In those days it was almost all day games. The things we saw during those subway rides I can write a book on it.

So, you are using as evidence that mass transit is unsafe a series of crimes that occured over 30 years ago?

I got news for you, cities today are MUCH safer than they were in the 70's. The 70's were much more crime-ridden than todayl. Dispite what most folks seem to think, crime in the US is WAYYYYYYYY down from what it used to be.

Ken

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Tasers are cheaper than one fill up, lol.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM

55 posts, read 198,275 times
My issue with public transportation (and the reason i will refuse to ever use it) is simply lack of personal space and freedom

I enjoy driving my car because i like being able to do whatever i want. If i wanna blast some music i can, if i want it absolute quiet, i can. Im a smoker so i can smoke without having to care about others around me, etc etc... you dont have that luxury on public transportation

plus its annoying having to stop and wait for people to get on and off a bus, with my car the only stop i have to make is the one where I get off

Im not really one to care about the environment that much, and im not scared to go on a bus as ive never had an issue with being worried of getting mugged or something

its all about personal freedom

Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If given the choice,this is your perfect home???
it is for me. I hate the boonies (where my parents live) and I hate suburbia. The city is the final option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies