Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:09 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times

Advertisements

I'm sure theres mothers, fathers, sons & daughters that would dissagree with you.
To say that those running the show inside were letting people leave if they chose is a little presumptuous no?

Twain was not saying that as a defense for atrocity.

I still think they were skumbags. Regardless of what the Davidians were suspected of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'm sure theres mothers, fathers, sons & daughters that would dissagree with you.
To say that those running the show inside were letting people leave if they chose is a little presumptuous no?

Twain was not saying that as a defense for atrocity.

I still think they were skumbags. Regardless of what the Davidians were suspected of.
Quite a few people left the compound. They were not hostages and there were threats of mass suicide by the Davidians. The Davidians chose suicide rather than surrender. The world's a better place for it.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Autopsy reports show women and children were killed by the Davidians with execution style gunshots.
Cite please.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Four fine American peace officer died 2/28/1993 in service to their country. Six fine American peace officers died 4/19/1993 in service to their country. They left behind loving families, children and friends. They made the ultimate sacrifice to make the United States a nation of laws fairly enforced.
No 'peace officers' died during the April 19, 1993 assault at Waco. Once again, who are you referring to?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why do those of you who support the fedgov. killing innocent people keep bringing up service in the military???
Randy Weaver served in the Army,he was a Green Beret.
Why, just responding to previous posters about military members "turning over in their graves, etc." when they see what happened in Waco.

It is pretty funny a lot of the same posters that do cartwheels for our military protecting us from foreign threats then call them Nazis when they change the uniform to protect us from domestic threats.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
A group having apocalyptic beliefs does not necessarily pose a threat to a community. They probably pose more of a threat to themselves. I have never read that Koresh and his followers threatened the residents of Waco with harm.
Read up on what he told the social worker, Joyce Sparks. That the World was going to come to an end, that the L.A. riots were nothing compared to what was going to happen in Waco, that there was going to be a military operation and all non-believers would suffer.

Pretty widely documented. Very disturbing.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Is freedom of speech now grounds for being killed?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Read up on what he told the social worker, Joyce Sparks. That the World was going to come to an end, that the L.A. riots were nothing compared to what was going to happen in Waco, that there was going to be a military operation and all non-believers would suffer.

He guessed right except it was THEIR world that was going to end and the BELIEVERS (Davidians) who were going to suffer.

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-17-2008 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I think it was Twain who said "Common sense is the least utilized of the human senses"

The Davidians were on a "suicide by cop" track and sooner or late would have provoked this type of standoff. They were served proper arrest papers and violently resisted. Anyone who wanted to peacefully leave the compound did so. The courts found no fault in the government's action. And the number of dead was well less than a couple hundred, but even at that, so what? The world is a better place without these wackos.
Quote:
The Davidians were on a "suicide by cop" track and sooner or late would have provoked this type of standoff.
On July 30, 1992 two BATF agents paid a visit to a licensed gun dealer in Waco named Henry McMahon. McMahon was the main supplier of arms purchased by the residents of Mt. Carmel. While the agents were scrutinizing the paperwork involved with the various Davidian purchases, McMahon went into another room and called Koresh to tell him about the BATF enquiry. Koresh replied, " If there's a problem, tell them to come out here. If they want to see my guns, they're more than welcome". With Koresh still on the line, McMahon returned to the agents and told them Koresh was on the phone and wanted to speak to them. The agents waved McMahon away and never took Koresh up on his offer to allow them to see his guns.
(this info is found in 'The Ashes of Waco' by Dick Reavis' and other sources)

Wayne Martin was a Harvard educated lawyer and Davidian who lived at Mt. Carmel. When the assault began on Feb. 28, he frantically dialed 911 in an attempt to stop the carnage. He spoke with Lt. Lynch of the Sheriff's Department. The link is to the full transcript of the 911 call.

Quote:
Lynch: This is Lynch. Hello - hello - hello.
Martin: Hello!
Lynch: Yeah. This is Lt. Lynch. May I help you?
Martin: Yeah. There's about 75 men around our building and
they're shooting at up in Mt. Carmel.
Lynch: Mt. Carmel?
Martin: Yeah. Tell them there are women and children in here
and to call it off! [very excited]
Lynch: All right, all right. Hello? I hear gunfire. [shots,
rapid fire in background] Oh s***! Hello? Who is this? Hello.
Martin: Call it off! [almost shouted]
Lynch: Who is this? Hello? Hello? God almighty. Hello? [to
dispatcher] Who is this coming from?
Dispatcher: Wayne . . .
Lynch: Wayne Martin?
http://www.flashback.se/archive/911TAPE.TXT (broken link)

This is not the behavior of people who are actively seeking to provoke a standoff with the government.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

Quote:
Why did the ATF think Koresh was going to be violent, thereby justifying its armed assault to present a simple search warrant? The affidavit contained an allegation that Koresh had told a social worker (Sparks) that he was a messenger of God and that, when the time came, the violence in Waco would make the Los Angeles riots pale in comparison. The statement, however, was supposedly made on April 6,1992 -- more than three weeks before the L.A. riots began. Apparently somebody lied about Koresh's "threat," and the magistrate didn't notice.
ATF's basis for the assault on Waco is shot full of holes - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms fatal attack on the Branch Davidian complex in Waco, Texas - Column | Insight on the News | Find Articles at BNET.com

Even if Koresh did make the LA riots statement, to me the whole thing sounds like a rather vague threat. If I go to a social worker and state that I am a messenger of God, the world is coming to an end, the LA riots will be nothing compared to what is going to happen in Chicago, there will be a military operation and all non-believers will suffer, should I then expect tanks to come rolling through my flower gardens and start knocking holes in my house? Or should I expect a cattle trailer filled with BATF agents in full combat gear to pull up and surround the place?
People make crazier statements than this all the time and do not end up being subjected to a military-style assault. IMO, this was scant justification for what happened at Waco.

Last edited by andreabeth; 05-17-2008 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies