Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,577,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I believe the majority of Section 8 people would do better, improve their lives and get off Section 8, if they weren't trapped in cages within the cities and said to be free.
brien, from what i understand, section 8 people are not trapped meaning they can rent with any landlord willing to accept section 8 payments. the thing is, not all landlords are willing. anyway i was giving an example of what might cause a middle class neighbor to move out. it's an example not a stereotyp otherwise my question would be unclear to the reader and half baked. i had to give an example in conjunction with my question.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,378,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
brien, from what i understand, section 8 people are not trapped meaning they can rent with any landlord willing to accept section 8 payments. the thing is, not all landlords are willing. anyway i was giving an example of what might cause a middle class neighbor to move out. it's an example not a stereotyp otherwise my question would be unclear to the reader and half baked. i had to give an example in conjunction with my question.
OK I understand but there is going to come a point where the overbuilding of housing in the US could result in what I am putting forth here. It is no one's business who is subsidized and who isn't in any neighborhood. My main point is to decentralize the people who need help and they will be more likely to do better than to be trapped in an inner city jungle that dooms them to a generational cycle of poverty. Politicians can *** on all they want about the succcess of welfare but if it hasn't worked since 1965, and the last 45 years, and that is proof enough for me.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,082,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!

I can understand your frustration, You are right too many people abuse the program. I was at once on sec 8. I worked fulltime and went to school fulltime, After 2 years of being on it, I was finally off it. I had to go to college to support my family. Im a single mom. So if I can do it anyone can. So I dont believe in excuses for those who've been on it for a long time. I never lived dirty, poor people dont live dirty, only lazy and dirty people live that way. You need to help yourself before you can ask for help. Too many people just abuse it. Even tho I was on it at one time for 2 years I even get mad at those who are still on it, those who dont do nothing about their situation. Some have kids in school fulltime and they still don't work?
And your 6 year limit..thats just being to generous.
But overall I hear what your saying.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,577,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
OK I understand but there is going to come a point where the overbuilding of housing in the US could result in what I am putting forth here. It is no one's business who is subsidized and who isn't in any neighborhood. My main point is to decentralize the people who need help and they will be more likely to do better than to be trapped in an inner city jungle
they're not trapped. they can ask to rent anywhere but a landlord must agree to receive section 8 from the gov't. and you don't care who your neighbors are? i guess u don't have kids then

Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,378,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
they're not trapped. they can ask to rent anywhere but a landlord must agree to receive section 8 from the gov't. and you don't care who your neighbors are? i guess u don't have kids then
My having kids has noting to do with this because that is a subjective point of view. You are approaching this from a NIMBY pov.

Many of the poor are trapped in the inner cities. Tell me where they can choose to live in suburbs with transportation? Real intergration would help to incentivize landlords to rent to Section 8 people. Take New Jersey for example. People can decentralize in Jersey City. There is public transportation, same with Camden, and Newark.

Landlords are merely frightened of preconceived notions they may have of Section 8 renters. I am certain there are more people who if they lived in dececnt section 8 housing, and amoung other people who did not depend upon the government for their living, they would also too be incentivized to get a better job, a better education and take pride in the home they live.

Ths is a complicated problem that has certainly not been solved by mostly concentrating the poor in the inner cities and giving them just enough to get by which perpetuates generational poverty cycles as we have seen since the Great Society established by the LBJ Administration.

Decentralization is the answer and eliminating a central planning committe to manage the poor in government is the best answer. Local governments are in the best position to know how to deal with their poor and indigent, not the National Federal Government. Central planning failed in Soviet Union and it has failed for the last 45 years here in the US. It's time for new approaches and new solutions.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,770,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!

Hopefully this has already been addressed in this old thread but wanted to add in case it hadn't

a - Section 8 has requirements that no illegal activity can occur on a section 8 property or you will lose your voucher

b - Section 8 has requirements that if you destroy property or live filthy to the point of causing the homeowner extensive damage, you will lose your voucher

c - I want to agree with that. I work in the public housing sector and would like to see limits on all public housing. It is ridiculous how long people are unwilling to get off of this type of assistance but really if you look at it who can blame them when they are only paying $100 a month rent, less in some cases, more in others but I have never seen any rents over $500. I would like to see a cap on the amount of time that young people can live in public housing, like 5 years, similar to welfare restrictions.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,358,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Well, Section 8 cannot fight the market. It's not about central planning at all; that's the point of Sec. 8 vs. housing projects. In higher income areas, homeowners are less likely to give up their propety to Sec. 8. Also, Sec. 8 does not always pay 100% of the rent, so a more expensive property will still be more expensive to a Sec. 8 renter. Also, many Sec. 8 properties are apartments, which are naturally clustered in the dense parts of cities. It's no surprise that there is a clustering of Sec. 8 homes, but it is not nearly as concentrated as it would be "a la Soviet Union."

There's something screwy going on here.

Section 8 subsidies are based on area (metro) median rents, so (as you correctly noted), rents above the median are subsidized by Sec 8 only up to the median, everything above that is paid by the tenant.

And you are also correct in noting the clustering in Sec 8.

What happens (as you know, and for the benefit of others who might not) is that landlords with low-end, hard-to-rent units are more likely to accept Section 8, and the higher-end landlords are generally not going to accept it.

So landlords can game the system by taking, say, a rental worth $600 per month, and collect $800 by charging $800 if the area median is $800 or greater.

So now you have renters and landlords BOTH scamming Section 8.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
There are over 40 federal job training programs.

Do tell! I just went to USA.gov and looked for job training. I found stuff about financial aid (which of course is useless to a person who can't get financial aid), Job Corps (age 18-24) and other youth programs, CareerOneStop centers (they can help with things like resume writing and basic computer skills, but not much else), and career resources (how to choose a career), and student jobs.

I didn't find anything else useful. So where IS all this job training?

usa.gov-->Jobs, Education, and Volunteerism-->Education and Training-->Career Colleges and Technical Schools-->Get a Job, Skill, or Trade

The website assumes you either have money to pay for training or can get financial aid. If you don't have money and can't get financial aid, the website has nothing to say to you.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

If they have "crappy jobs" they can leave the US and go work in other countries, which, oddly enough, is what people in other countries do when they have "crappy jobs."

Is that how it works? I thought the foreign "guest workers" migrated to take "crappy jobs" in other countries because they couldn't find "crappy jobs" in their own country.

Did I get that wrong?

And if you Do have a "crappy job" in your own country, what do you gain by moving to a different country? Wouldn't the jobs available to you in a different country also be "crappy jobs?"

Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Section 8 is essentially block busting by the Federal government. It is destroying neighborhoods nationwide.

I lived in a neighborhood where the local government was subsidizing people to buy homes in the neighborhood and thereby displace the low-income renters who lived there.

My local government drove me out of my neighborhood. So Section 8 is bad for "block busting" and "destroying neighborhoods" but it's okay when your local government drives out poor people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies