Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Ah yes social programs the conservatives rail about, and yet none of which actually know someone on the program.

Correct, its the family and friends of democrats that are on it.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Section 8 in my opinion is being abused like our welfare system! We (Americans) need to shout out against this abuse! Maybe we can use the money for the Poor who really need it and the Elderly.

Section 8 should have restrictions! Here's a list of mine.

a. If any member in your house commits a crime it's (section 8) cut off.

b. You must live clean, there is no excuse to live Poor and Dirty! NONE..

c. 6 year restriction, after that the tenants need to look to rent elsewhere.

Section 8 is creating projects in neighborhoods all across America. I'm so tired of seeing people that are able to work take advantage of the Elderly and the true Poor.

End Section 8 now!
Any time there is ''free stuff'' some people will abuse it and ride it forever.
It needs to be monitored better, but I assume they are too short handed to follow every case. I do know several people who used sec 8 the way it is to be used, they were honest hard working people, who needed some help and it worked for them. It is aggrevating to me, that some do not have the incentive to work and do for themselves.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Sure,
Quote:
we could end Section 8 and bring back Robert Taylor and Pruitt-Igoe
. (If you do not understand the reference you should not be commenting on the current status of subsidized housing.) The thing about Sec. 8 housing and tenants is that they are all among us and sometimes you can't pick out the housing or the tenants from those paying market rents.

I guess in addition to the poor and elderly you deem worthy of help we could add single mothers, minor children and the disabled.
No, how about training them to work, even if it is pushing a broom, so they can be self sufficiant and pay their own rent in an area they can afford. too many times, these sec 8 people are the scum of the earth and rent a house in a good area, well guess what, good people begin to move out and more sec 8 scum move in and there goes the neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom View Post
I have a bachelors degree and I'm on section 8. I am disabled now, I have one child only who is 13, I am clean and have lived in nice areas and I have always taken care of every property I've lived in. I garden, I plant flowers, I paint the homes. I agree with that1guy, this is a rant against the poor. Karma comes to everyone and those that are ranting and raving are often the ones with their heads bowed shocked to find themselves needing assistance. I had that happen in my old neighborhood, they stood around talking abou how I was bringing the neighborhood down as I planted my garden as they talked, and they drove their cars all over their front yards, drinking beer, and parking everywhere. One lost his home and the other ended up on welfare, you reap what you sow and some of you need to stop and think because you may be one pink slip away from needing help yourself! This thread is hateful and ignorant!
I lived next door to a woman with 7 kids on sec 8 and had no problems with her, her keds were well behaved, polite and clean, in fact the 2 boy's (6&9yrsI believe) used to come over and talk to me quite often. I had a lot of fun with them. OTOH, if I had my choice, I would not live next to a sec 8 renter, just because of the reputation. This is what you are suffering from, the reputation of the sec 8 renter.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
oh, yes, you can.

I see quite a few apartment ads stating 'no Section 8'.
It is up to the landlord, he/she does not have to accept sec 8, but most do because it is guaranteed rent on time every month.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
The original purpose of Section 8 was to help the elderly and disabled. Too bad the program steered so far away from it's original course....at least it has in the city where I live.
I agree, same with SS disability.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
I just think that public housing should have the welfare of underage children as priority #1. I don't give a rat's arse about the parents to be honest. Yes, they figured out how to have sex and procreate. They have already proven that they are irresponsible and probably stupid on top of it.

But there is a lot of hope for the children if we control their environment and don't let them see just how stupid their parents are. And start early, at less than a year old.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Stereotypes? They are facts join the rest of us in reality.
Those aren't facts. You can't compare apples to peaches and then pretend its an accurrate assesment.

My mom was a single mom at several points in her life. First because my dad decided halfway through that he didn't really want to be a husband and a father so he split. Then when my stepdad died of cancer.

Somehow she managed to raise three college graduates who turned out to be successful, productive adults.

I have a cousin whose parents have been married since Jesus walked the earth and that whole family is screwed up.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I just think that public housing should have the welfare of underage children as priority #1. I don't give a rat's arse about the parents to be honest. Yes, they figured out how to have sex and procreate. They have already proven that they are irresponsible and probably stupid on top of it.

But there is a lot of hope for the children if we control their environment and don't let them see just how stupid their parents are. And start early, at less than a year old.

Good luck with that as most are a creation of their own envirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies