Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should suspects of non violent crime under arrest be handcuffed
YES 12 100.00%
NO 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM

198 posts, read 204,031 times

Advertisements

One of the worst images on tv is of people under arrest who are handcuffed in almost every case.

Many of them have their charges dismissed,many others are acquited in court.

However,handcuffing hurts...

My opinion is that only people charged with violent crimes should be hancuffed.

Violent crime is

DUI,theft,burglary,assault,rape,kidnapping,robbery ,murder etc...

If the crime does not have the element of violence,the suspect should not be handcuffed.

It is irreversibly embarrasing...

Your opinion & vote ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,396,063 times
Might be for the safety of those around...how many people arrested for "non violent" wind up being wanted for something more serious, and if they're not handcuffed, could bolt, or worse, hurt someone around them in an effort to escape.

Not to mention, some people get downright irate if they're in trouble with the cops...even if it's not serious, in which case the cop would have his hands full.

I think the handcuffs should stay.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,615,901 times
If you are arrested, you should be handcuffed. How is the cop going to know if you are violent or not? Maybe you are being arrested for shoplifting but perhaps a month ago you were released from prison on an assault and battery charge.
The other added benefit of handcuffing is that I would imagine it does hurt, and it would be extremely embarassing. Maybe that works as a crime deterrent for some people.

Bottom line, don't break the law and you won't have to worry about it.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,559,568 times
I understand your point, but I think that they should be in cuffs for the safety of everyone. I think it's a fair question to raise about whether or not this should be broadcast on tv, although it is public record.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:11 PM

Yes ,but...so many falsely charged,or their charges dismissed,or acquited...

Today,u can be sued by anybody & end up handcuffed...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,559,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
Yes ,but...so many falsely charged,or their charges dismissed,or acquited...

Today,u can be sued by anybody & end up handcuffed...
True, but the officer that responds does not know that. They also don't know how the person will react to being arrested.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,653,685 times
Many officer are assulted by the people that do nno-violent crimes. We are having enough trouble getting people to be police officers as is;why put them at further risk.Heck;you can't even have a celebration of a football championship without it turning violent. I the end peole can not be trusted to use common sense.The courts are full of non-vioent offenders being charged with violence on police during the arrest.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 PM

I believe that the arresting officer should be aware of the charges against the suspect...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,143,298 times
I definitely agree with the sentiment that anybody charged with a crime should be handcuffed for everyone's saftey. You never know who'll turn violent as soon as they realize that they're being arrested.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,190,378 times
I support the handcuffing of any suspect

As others have mentioned, at the time of the initial arrest, the officer may not know if there any outstanding warrents out there for the suspect - many suspects give false names / idenities when arrested.

Handcuffing is for the safety of the officer and the suspect. Some suspects, even those being arrested for the minor of infractions, have been know to go absolutely beserk - and have hurt themselves, the officer and bystanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies