Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 07:32 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times

Advertisements

The Democrats are attracted to the cities of red states for jobs, and they’re already the bluest part of that red state. As the red rural counties continue to depopulate, the city becomes larger and bluer until critical mass is reached, and another blue state is born. Rinse and repeat.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:35 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
Let me just say this.

Most of my neighbors are from blue states. California, Michigan, Illinois, New Jersey and New York. Most that I have talked to have ZERO plans to go back...ever.

I also know of no native Texan (myself included) that is longing to move to a blue state to work or retire. None...zero. I also have no family members that plan on retiring in a blue state or want to move to one to work in.

Take that for what it is....

Old 09-22-2021, 07:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, why did Cali lose representation in Congress then? With Texas & Florida gaining seats once again.
Because of baby boomers retiring and moving to lower cost of living areas. This will continue to happen over the next 10 years or so.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:50 AM

Blue staters need to stay put and fix their messes, instead of coming to red states and voting for the same types of characters that ruined the places they escaped.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Let me just say this.

Most of my neighbors are from blue states. California, Michigan, Illinois, New Jersey and New York. Most that I have talked to have ZERO plans to go back...ever.

I also know of no native Texan (myself included) that is longing to move to a blue state to work or retire. None...zero. I also have no family members that plan on retiring in a blue state or want to move to one to work in.

Take that for what it is....
I take it for a pointless anecdote that can be countered with my pointless anecdote. I'm a Lubbock native (which I only include because of the "Raider" in your screen name) who moved for quality of life purposes. For people whose largest asset is their home, the property tax schemes in Texas are more expensive and make for worse outcomes than the modest income tax I pay here. For retirees, it's an even worse deal. My parents are putting the gears in motion to move up here because the property taxes are so ridiculous in Texas.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:17 AM

947 posts, read 296,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Republicans seem to have this inherent allergy to anything 'liberal' whereas most Democrats don't really seem to care one way or the other if a given location swings liberal or conservative so long as it suits their needs.

Source: Personal observations and experience. There will of course always be exceptions to the rule but you'd have to go interview every single liberal-leaning person who moved to a more conservative place to be sure.
And from my personal observations, Republicans don't complain directly to their Democrat neighbors what morons and racists Democrats are, whereas Democrats are quick to call Republicans all sorts of names. It amazes me how people I know, knowing I voted for Trump, continue to berate the "idiots who voted for Trump" right to my face. I don't see that happening in reverse.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:23 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
Wont happen. They will vote for the same type of people that they voted for where they previously live. That means higher taxes and more crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
They moved there because it's cheap, not because of politics.

If they can make it exactly like the liberal cities but with red state prices that'd be perfect.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:29 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Generally, it's less expensive to live in America First states because we don't believe in burdening everyone with greedy tax and spend policies.

Liberal policies are oppressive, wasteful and expensive.
How much did our search for WMDs that we knew didn`t exist cost us?

Old 09-22-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I take it for a pointless anecdote that can be countered with my pointless anecdote. I'm a Lubbock native (which I only include because of the "Raider" in your screen name) who moved for quality of life purposes. For people whose largest asset is their home, the property tax schemes in Texas are more expensive and make for worse outcomes than the modest income tax I pay here. For retirees, it's an even worse deal. My parents are putting the gears in motion to move up here because the property taxes are so ridiculous in Texas.

Don't think I am not looking into retiring in another state...because, yes, due to our property tax system, Texas is a fine place if you have a working income but not great for retirement, unless one is wealthy.

However, I am not finding many other states that are better for retirees. Certainly not CO. Housing is very expensive and those winters are hard on older people. Being a serious mt biker, I have been to CO many times and it is an expensive state to live in and not very friendly when they find out you are from Texas. LOL I am also not jazzed about CO's gun laws.

I would love to retire in NM....Las Cruces area, but NM taxes retirement income and their healthcare systems are not the best. NM winters seemed better than CO and I can afford a decent house there and still get my mt bike fix, as this is a great place for outdoor activities.

Yes, our property tax situation IS terrible and I hope we do not run out of wealthy CA refugees that I can sell my house to. My house has been paid off for years, BTW and I own other TX properties.

But as for a retirement state that won't tax me to death and has affordable houses and decent weather...the search continues.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:52 AM

374 posts, read 256,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe that's because life is better in Conservative areas and policies like lower taxes makes these areas easier to live in?

This is patently false. Red states almost consistently have the worst infrastructure, the worst quality of education, and a much lower on average quality of life than most blue states. Often the only advantage to moving to a red state (if not specifically to be closer to family or due to a job relocation) is cheaper housing. Most people who 'flee' from blue states due to the local politics are generally not hardcore liberals themselves which would make them exempt from the premise of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies