Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Proud Of Being An American
Yes 139 57.20%
NO 34 13.99%
Never 5 2.06%
Sometimes 29 11.93%
I try To Be 23 9.47%
Not Sure 3 1.23%
Other, Please Post 10 4.12%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, there's a little more than just a yes or no answer here, the way I see it.

Am I proud that I'm an American? Well, I didn't do anything to become an American. I was just born here. In that sense, I think pride's the wrong word. I am profoundly grateful to be an American. That defines my thought more accurately.
I only mention this because sometimes the sense of entitlement that some Americans get is really obnoxious.

Am I proud of America? As a nation, yes. We have a long history of good intentions, if nothing else. We aren't always right, but we have done a lot of good in the world.

Am I proud of America's leadership? No. At the moment, I'm not. However, I am, again, profoundly grateful to be born into a nation in which I can criticize the government with impunity. I can vote for someone I think can do a better job. I can listen to opposing thoughts and either consider changing my own point-of-view or reject them after consideration.

I love that this is a nation built not on compliance, but on constructive dissent. On freedom. On liberty.
The first thing that popped into my head after I read the question was "Yep- I sure am". The first thing that popped into yours was "Well, I am a bit unsure. I mean, let's first dissect the question and break it down into unnecessary minutia." A simple "no" would have sufficed, and been a lot more concise than what I read, which was..."Well, I will say yes because I know thats what I should say, but we Americans really are the world's bully and I feel real real guilty about being an American so I will say yes but then I will qualify my statement with unnecessary paragraphs stating all my dislikes about the current administration's policies, which, if I really thought about it has nothing to do with whether or not I should be proud of being an American or not, but I am really afraid that the globalists will hate me if I say yes to this question..."

blablablablablablablablablablablabla.

Cap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
As the son of an immigrant and the husband to one as well, unequivocally, yes.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i am. i really like it. now i wana leave bagdad and put DOD back on a diet. still friends?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Are You Proud Of Being An American?
Although I voted yes, "proud" doesn't do the feeling justice. A sense of inadequacy accompanies it... How can you be enough to fulfill something so beautiful? I feel a sense of appreciation for what so many have done and that I'm lucky enough to be part of something that was produced with such an immense love for humanity.

I truly believe that those lacking a sense of pride in being part of this lineage; lacking a sense of honor that they have the opportunity to be part of this, are people who don't really understand what America is. Undereducated, misinformed and misguided, they compare America to some theoretical vision of utopia... Reviewing the history of America, they compare it to their beliefs of the way the world should be.

However, when you understand the beliefs of the Founders and the theory and the genius behind what they were doing and you understand the world at the time, you realize that this was something really special. When you understand government, economics and human nature, it's all so perfect... perfect for the world that actually exists, not one that should exist.

I believe it's a blessing that I'm American and I am more than proud.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:16 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Anyone who feels pride is fine by me. Anyone who doesn't feel pride is fine by me. Anyone who feels pride is a requirement needs therapy. Anyone who attacks those who don't have pride clearly doesn't understand what America stands for.

I feel proud to live in this landscape, to have been blessed with such natural resources, and to have little opposition standing in the way of my pursuit of happiness. I am basically free to move about and say what I want whenever I want. But I am also aware that these freedoms may be mere illusions, that the real world is something kept from my perceptions, and that what I have been led to believe may not be truthful at all. I am also fully aware that America isn't perfect and I reluctantly accept that many terrible things have been done on purpose without my consent or awareness. I also know that millions of blindly patriotic Americans cannot change these ugly truths no matter how many flags are wrapped around them.

Ignoring reality is not a productive forward step. America needs an intervention from within and it needs conscious patriots of all persuasions to come to its aid.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:23 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So, am I proud to be an American? Yes, most of the time I am. Do I think America is the only great nation to have ever existed? No.
Agreed 100%. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else, but I don't think we're the only nation to have the excellent quality of life that we, in the states, are fortunate enough to have.

As for the current leadership, TWO THUMBS DOWN.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:40 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I reluctantly accept that many terrible things have been done on purpose without my consent or awareness.
According to Locke, those things done, although in the name of a country, that are inconsistent with the intent of the citizenry are a violation of the citizenry, and therefore, the country.

Those things cannot be considered "American", but a violation of America.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
The first thing that popped into my head after I read the question was "Yep- I sure am". The first thing that popped into yours was "Well, I am a bit unsure. I mean, let's first dissect the question and break it down into unnecessary minutia." A simple "no" would have sufficed, and been a lot more concise than what I read, which was..."Well, I will say yes because I know thats what I should say, but we Americans really are the world's bully and I feel real real guilty about being an American so I will say yes but then I will qualify my statement with unnecessary paragraphs stating all my dislikes about the current administration's policies, which, if I really thought about it has nothing to do with whether or not I should be proud of being an American or not, but I am really afraid that the globalists will hate me if I say yes to this question..."

blablablablablablablablablablablabla.

Cap
Well, I admire your ability to totally condense every answer into a single syllable.

Beyond that, I will say that my family has been in this country for 300+ years. Beyond being a South Carolinian and a Southerner, I have no real identity beyond being an American.

Does that mean I think sunshine shoots out of my hindquarters and I should bow and scrape to every half-assed administration that saunters its anti-intellectual neo-imperial carcass into the Oval Office?

I think not.

Does it mean I should shun complexity at the first hint of being able to paint my undercarriage red, white, and blue so I can suit YOUR sense of patriotism?

Again, I'll go with no.

I think it means that I'll take a moment to answer the question posed by the OP fully and completely rather than take the hack route and pick apart someone ELSE's answer without providing one of my own. I read the question and answered it as fully and completely as I know how. If you didn't approve of my answer... well, I'll add that to my "don't give a damn" pile, which I'll sort through later.

Take a nap. Your frivolity is going stale.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
According to Locke, those things done, although in the name of a country, that are inconsistent with the intent of the citizenry are a violation of the citizenry, and therefore, the country.

Those things cannot be considered "American", but a violation of America.
Thank you. I used the word "reluctantly", well, reluctantly because it is very hard for me to accept. That such things have been done is irrefutable and my anger now accomplishes little. So, I have no other option but to accept it. What we need to do collectively is STOP all future occurrences. No more secrecy.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:46 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, I admire your ability to totally condense every answer into a single syllable.

Beyond that, I will say that my family has been in this country for 300+ years. Beyond being a South Carolinian and a Southerner, I have no real identity beyond being an American.

Does that mean I think sunshine shoots out of my hindquarters and I should bow and scrape to every half-assed administration that saunters its anti-intellectual neo-imperial carcass into the Oval Office?

I think not.

Does it mean I should shun complexity at the first hint of being able to paint my undercarriage red, white, and blue so I can suit YOUR sense of patriotism?

Again, I'll go with no.

I think it means that I'll take a moment to answer the question posed by the OP fully and completely rather than take the hack route and pick apart someone ELSE's answer without providing one of my own. I read the question and answered it as fully and completely as I know how. If you didn't approve of my answer... well, I'll add that to my "don't give a damn" pile, which I'll sort through later.

Take a nap. Your frivolity is going stale.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CarolinaBredChicagoan again.

I know we've disagreed in other threads, but great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies