Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You don't dispute the SSA website saying NO, meaning under no circumstances may you opt out.

There's a conflict. Since my source is from social security directly, it's safe to say I'm correct. When you post something from the SSA website saying otherwise is when I believe you.
No, you are not correct. For, if you researched the entire SSA law / rules, you would find the exception.

You merely are relying on a FAQ -

IRS collects Social Security revenue. IRS gives the money to SSA. I have no SSA numbered account to deposit money too.

Sorry Bubba - you are wrong.

Game. Set. Match
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, you are not correct. For, if you researched the entire SSA law / rules, you would find the exception.

You merely are relying on a FAQ -

IRS collects Social Security revenue. IRS gives the money to SSA. I have no SSA numbered account to deposit money too.

Sorry Bubba - you are wrong.

Game. Set. Match
Sure thing. I'll be waiting for a contradiction from the Social Security Administration.

I won't hold my breath.

Even if you were correct about opting out, I wouldn't believe for a second that you were a clergy member, especially since it was claimed after the OP proved you wrong.

have a GreatDay!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Sure thing. I'll be waiting for a contradiction from the Social Security Administration.

I won't hold my breath.
BTW, you might want to look at 20CFR422.525

And you might want to go to socialsecurity.gov, and in the "search" section, put in "form 4029" or "form 4361"

Have fun

Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
We'll just file that one under checking credit on folks internationally.

And to think, right wing repubs went to all the spendthrift trouble to get absolution from social security by getting elected, when all they had to do was attend seminary school. The loop hole is there for ya, go ahead and leap on the cheap!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 AM

290 posts, read 523,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I believe you said at first that it was IMPOSSIBLE to opt out of Social Security. I proved you wrong.

The provisions to opt out, unlike what you tried to portray, are real - and they work - as millions of Americans have found out - and done.

Face it - you were wrong. You are wrong. And you will remain wrong.

Have a Greatday
Have to go with View on this one. When he said it was impossible, most reasonable people would agree that he meant legally. Of course one could simply not pay or hide their earnings to "opt out," or one could commit fraud on a clergy form - neither of which would be legal. If I can't legally opt out, that meets the conditions for "impossible." Especially in the context of this debate. In fact, if the best evidence you can come up with is a form (that may be rejected) and not a law or ruling, I would say that GreatDay has clearly lost this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
And to think, right wing repubs went to all the spendthrift trouble to get absolution from social security by getting elected, when all they had to do was attend seminary school. The loop hole is there for ya, go ahead and leap on the cheap!
Saying you are clergy when you are not is not a loophole, it is fraud, but it does clarify to me why Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are reverends.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 AM

413 posts, read 782,426 times
We conservatives are presently too weak to rule.
Zionist bankers bribe our leaders, and Zionist marxists terrorize our people.
Hope conservatism as a political force will rise again.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:40 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
Have to go with View on this one. When he said it was impossible, most reasonable people would agree that he meant legally. Of course one could simply not pay or hide their earnings to "opt out," or one could commit fraud on a clergy form - neither of which would be legal. If I can't legally opt out, that meets the conditions for "impossible." Especially in the context of this debate. In fact, if the best evidence you can come up with is a form (that may be rejected) and not a law or ruling, I would say that GreatDay has clearly lost this argument.
Exactly. There are ways I can totally circumvent the IRS with minimal risk. From buying and selling physical gold for cash to avoid capital gains, not filling out the IRS form for bartering (ridiculous income reporting BTW), or getting paid under the table for odd jobs.

I don't argue that you can try opting out of SS, but to do so under dodgy techniques presents a higher degree of risk than avoiding income taxes with the few techniques I've outlined (among other less obvious ones I won't share with y'all for various reasons).

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post

Saying you are clergy when you are not is not a loophole, it is fraud, but it does clarify to me why Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are reverends.
Amen! I didn't encourage anyone to use it without going to school, but what does it say when someone sees a commitment that's thought to be sacred in western civilization as a financial tool?
That's what I was getting at- applicable to any party origin who would abuse faith itself for personal gain.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
I just worry how much more rot and ruin the baby boombers can leave us with before they no longer hold any clout.

By the time they check out, the next large wave will be in their prime, and we'll see just how much they love to pay taxes.

Socially liberal, maybe, but tax and spend fiscal liberal? Nope.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I just worry how much more rot and ruin the baby boombers can leave us with before they no longer hold any clout.

By the time they check out, the next large wave will be in their prime, and we'll see just how much they love to pay taxes.

Socially liberal, maybe, but tax and spend fiscal liberal? Nope.
Welp, we can always turn them into soylent green and sell them to starving ethiopians. They want to live by capitalism heartless rules, they'll die by them too. They forget we'll be deciding their nursing care. Dimentia might have already set in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies