Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
No. Obviously, if the whole of India were a backwards rural village, India would be in much different shape. It's a very large country where social conditions run the spectrum from billionaires to illiterate tribal peasants. You're making the same error as the gloating foreigners who thought that the entire US was as disastrously incompetent as post-Katrina New Orleans.
Post-Katrina New Orleans is a political quagmire unlike India that is a cultural quagmire that has done irreparable damage to the US and the US economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
This is the 3rd world "mud hole" that has taken away US jobs, invaded the US with their "work for dirt cheap" tech types and to which the US owes Billions of $$$ in furnacing the US planet sized debt!!! Pathetic, absolutely pathetic!!!

Caution: Graphic photo.

Indian village proud after double "honor killing" - Yahoo! News (broken link)
That right because the entire country is like that. you fail.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
India is a huge country, and just because one little village is still behind the times doesn't mean the whole country is a 3rd world slum. the village in that article has little in common culturally w/ Mumbai (just like some 3rd world fishing village in China has little in common culturally w/ Shanghai)

and last I checked, there are some parts of this country that are behind the times culturally. there's been some crimes right here in the USA that were just was atrocious as this one (ie, the black man who was dragged being a vehicle to the point where his body just tore apart. the killing of Matthew Shepard. in both of these cases, there's a population of bigots who felt the victim got what he deserved)

it's sad and inexcusable, but not a representation of the whole country, just like the above crimes aren't a representation of the US

Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
India is a huge country, and just because one little village is still behind the times doesn't mean the whole country is a 3rd world slum. the village in that article has little in common culturally w/ Mumbai (just like some 3rd world fishing village in China has little in common culturally w/ Shanghai)

and last I checked, there are some parts of this country that are behind the times culturally. there's been some crimes right here in the USA that were just was atrocious as this one (ie, the black man who was dragged being a vehicle to the point where his body just tore apart. the killing of Matthew Shepard. in both of these cases, there's a population of bigots who felt the victim got what he deserved)

it's sad and inexcusable, but not a representation of the whole country, just like the above crimes aren't a representation of the US
Yes, crime happens everywhere, and sadly there are sadistic bigots who will do heinous things to prove to themselves that they are right or superior.

Still, your example is ridiculous. The murderers of Matthew Shepherd and the poor man who was dragged to death were caught and tried. Nobody tried to make them heros, or viewed their crimes as heroic. In this case, in this village in India they do view the murderers as heros, and they do view the murders as an heroic action. Furthermore, in this village in India, the police side with the murderers to the point of threatening death to the victims family if they continue to make a 'stink' about it.

These honor killings are ingrained culturally. I don't know that exposure to Mumbai would stop them. I think the only thing to stop them will be the people of these villages themselves, which is not likely to happen.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee

Quote:
camping!
Yes, crime happens everywhere, and sadly there are sadistic bigots who will do heinous things to prove to themselves that they are right or superior.

Still, your example is ridiculous. The murderers of Matthew Shepherd and the poor man who was dragged to death were caught and tried. Nobody tried to make them heros, or viewed their crimes as heroic. In this case, in this village in India they do view the murderers as heros, and they do view the murders as an heroic action. Furthermore, in this village in India, the police side with the murderers to the point of threatening death to the victims family if they continue to make a 'stink' about it.

These honor killings are ingrained culturally. I don't know that exposure to Mumbai would stop them. I think the only thing to stop them will be the people of these villages themselves, which is not likely to happen.
Like other "culturally retarded" countries, India will want to be viewed as a 21st century country, yet their culture is still rooted in the brutal origins of its past! India can not have it both ways, come into the 21st century culturally or slide back into the slime of the past!

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 05-17-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Edit text.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:21 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
It's still cool to be racist against certain groups, I guess. I don't understand why the people of the far right always think in such sweeping generalities, aka "One time a Mexican punched me in the face for no reason, I learned that day that Mexicans love to punch people in the face for no reason and I haven't talked to one since because that disgusts me," etc. etc. etc. You could say I'm sweepingly generalizing far right people, but in this case I feel the generalization is accurate, although it may not be accurate for all conservatives.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:38 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
It's still cool to be racist against certain groups, I guess. I don't understand why the people of the far right always think in such sweeping generalities, aka "One time a Mexican punched me in the face for no reason, I learned that day that Mexicans love to punch people in the face for no reason and I haven't talked to one since because that disgusts me," etc. etc. etc. You could say I'm sweepingly generalizing far right people, but in this case I feel the generalization is accurate, although it may not be accurate for all conservatives.
What are you talking about? To condemn honor killings is suddenly a bigoted/racist/right wing thing to do? Wth? The op may have made a sweeping generalization (India being a mudhole etc...) but he/she was the only one to do so.
Did you read the article? In addition to honor killings, this region in India also has an unusually high rate of female fetus abortions (and if you think for a minute that this is a case of the womens right to choose, you are indeed a fool). Women are being treated less worthy then cattle, more expendable then the family dog. And the law enforcement, government officials and religious heads see nothing wrong with it. To find this abuse of human rights disgusting and abhorrent does not make one a right wing rascist....

Old 05-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
What does being a Liberal or Conservative have to do with India being a culturally retarded country? This is not a question of race or ethnicity, it is a matter of a retarded culture condoning the killing of people to avenge the "honor' of their long dead ancestors! For the record, I'm an Independent and fit neither the "pro forma" of a Conservative nor a Liberal, I think for myself!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger

camping!
Quote:
What are you talking about? To condemn honor killings is suddenly a bigoted/racist/right wing thing to do? Wth? The op may have made a sweeping generalization (India being a mudhole etc...) but he/she was the only one to do so.
Did you read the article? In addition to honor killings, this region in India also has an unusually high rate of female fetus abortions (and if you think for a minute that this is a case of the womens right to choose, you are indeed a fool). Women are being treated less worthy then cattle, more expendable then the family dog. And the law enforcement, government officials and religious heads see nothing wrong with it. To find this abuse of human rights disgusting and abhorrent does not make one a right wing rascist....
Good post, thank you!
Quote:
The op may have made a sweeping generalization (India being a mudhole etc...) but he/she was the only one to do so.
That would by my comment and it was made as a rhetorical comment to emphasize the heinous nature of these "honor" killings!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Of course not, but to think of it as a sign of the inferiority of all Indians and "Pakis" and to use such an incident to bring up the suggestion that "they should all just kill each other," as one poster did, or to denigrate all of India as being a "culturally retarded country," probably does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies