Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
You didnt finish your sentence so I will.

It's about time the liberals understand they need to stop playing games and stop voting AGAINST drilling OUR OWN OIL !!

We need to do what China is doing and barter whatever we have the most of, CORN to countries who need corn to eat.

We need to work with Brazil as they are the only major country that it 95% independent of any oil and use sugar cane instead of corn because it can be made easily.

The stupid people who have spent years on developing alternative fuels with corn should be tossed into a hole as we come to find out it takes more energy to produce and use corn based fuels then it does to use it.

DO NOT blame Bush for our energy woos, it happened long before he came around. And he has tried over and over to drill our own oil to only run to gore like freaks who wont even allow us to drill our own oil.

The oil problem can be solved if the liberals stop worrying about a tree frog, a moose or a fish and get drilling.

We need to look into how Brazil is energy independent and has been for 25+ years!!

Drill our oil now and show the middle east we do not need them.
Stop blaming oil companies for your problems, they make 7% profit margins. Not too good for corporations at all.

Wal Mart, SC Johnson make on average 30-50% profit margins and no one is whining about them.
Dominos Pizza works on 300% profit margins and the owner owns islands and big boats too but you do not see people whining about that either.

Stop blaming Bush and the oil companies, blame the real people at fault. It's call democrats!
I'm not sure its all Democrats fault, but I do find it ironic that Clinton went and first asked for higher prices right before leaving office, and even more ironic that its the Democrats on this forum site complain about Bush asking for more oil at home, are complaining about our dependency upon the middle east. I wish they'd make up their minds on what type of policy they want.. dependency or self sufficient.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not sure its all Democrats fault, but I do find it ironic that Clinton went and first asked for higher prices right before leaving office, and even more ironic that its the Democrats on this forum site complain about Bush asking for more oil at home, are complaining about our dependency upon the middle east. I wish they'd make up their minds on what type of policy they want.. dependency or self sufficient.
Well said. we have huge untapped reserves. But they don't matter. Why? Because we don't have the capacity to refine the oil into fuels.... We need to build more capacity in refineries. We are currently importing refined fuels because we can't refine enough ourselves.
Problem#2.. And this adds to the cost of fuels. States tend to have different restrictions and require different additives in fuels. We need to settle on fits all fuel mixtures and then we can more efficently use what refineries we have thus lowering the cost yet again.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I also realize the oil companies get some huge subsidies, screw Exxon/Mobil, that land is owned by the people, if the CEO needs a new yacht he's gonna have to pay off the people to get it.

What I'm proposing is Bush will happily hop in the sack with corporations and expect the people to bendover, and people whine about a little hummer with an intern
I guess you don't realize that the Federal Government makes more from oil in taxes than the oil companies do in profit. So not only will Big Government make money off the leases but then off the oil itself too! And they'll never have to chip in for equipment failure, unexpected costs, or any other risk of doing business!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Unless there are guarantees we'd be paying far less than OPEC prices I see no reason to allow private companies access to public land.
Well there is an easy solution to that, sell the public land to private companies!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:44 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
Hey don't drill in our own country, just keeping having wars....kill more of our children and save the environment.

Billions of gallons of oil in North Dakota, Montana

and when do you think the draft will be coming after which idiot becomes president?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
The looney left would rather us go back to the 1800s than drill for oil here.

As much as I would like to see alternative energy, it is absolutely not happening as long as their is profitable oil still in the ground.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Speculators do not explain the high price of oil in the UK, where speculating does not exist on "wall street". They are paying nearly $6 per gallon right now... There is a country where oil is currently $.14 per gallon, (trying to find out what one it is) but its because UK does not produce oil, and the other country does.. there is an abundance of oil..
The British are paying over $8 per US gallon...and they actually do have quite an extensive offshore oil industry.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I guess you don't realize that the Federal Government makes more from oil in taxes than the oil companies do in profit. So not only will Big Government make money off the leases but then off the oil itself too! And they'll never have to chip in for equipment failure, unexpected costs, or any other risk of doing business!

Please document, are you talking road taxes or corporate income taxes?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well there is an easy solution to that, sell the public land to private companies!

We already have, the White House and Congress among other public properties

Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Wait.. arent you the one who just stated that we shouldnt be drilling in our own country on public land, and now your complaining about how sad it is that we didnt make serious efforts to cut down on dependence?

Which is it?

Your reading comprehension seems non-existent. For far from the first time you allege I said something I didn't.

Just WHERE did I ever say we shouldn't be drilling on public land in this country? The FACT, something you apparently have no desire for, is I NEVER did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies