Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Private oil exploration companies should be contracted to find oil on public land and paid by the public for their services. They should never own the oil (or any other mineral wealth) found on public land. The profits derived from the difference in pumping should be owned by the public and used to reduce other public taxes.

This should also apply to other energy services, such as privately owned electric generating plants, transmission and distribution facilities.
I can live with that, although I'd personally prefer to see the public land simply sold to private companies. I see absolutely no benefit in having land owned by the public, as it's a hindrance to economic development. The public has no profit motive.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I can live with that, although I'd personally prefer to see the public land simply sold to private companies. I see absolutely no benefit in having land owned by the public, as it's a hindrance to economic development. The public has no profit motive.

And profit motive is a defining quality?

Heroin dealers have a profit motive, does that make them a group worthy of respect?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I guess you've never enjoyed a vacation somewhere the land was doing absolutely nothing?

You have my sympathies.
Uh, the land generate profits from my vacationing there. I generally vacation in places that are privately owned.

If you're talking about National Parks and such, well, why don't you just pay a fair price to use them? Why should the taxpayer, who may not like National Parks, subsidize your vacation there?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
And profit motive is a defining quality?

Heroin dealers have a profit motive, does that make them a group worthy of respect?
The profit motive would be far lower if it weren't illegal to purchase the heroin.

What is profit? It's the reward for providing the consumer with something he wants or needs. The consumer getting what he wants or needs is inherently a good thing. So yes, the profit motive is a "defining quality."

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SHARM EL SHEIKH, Egypt — President Bush said Saturday that Saudi Arabia’s decision to boost oil production by 300,000 barrels a day is “something, but it doesn’t solve our problem,” and he called again on Congress to approve legislation allowing more oil exploration at home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/wo...8prexyweb.html

I wonder how well environmentalists in oil producing countries outside the US do in regards to stopping the exporing/drilling for oil?

I think the US government should add enough tax to each gallon of gas so that we would be paying $6.00-$8.00 per gallon. They should then use this for developing alternate fuel sources.

If anyone complains just give them the addresses, emails and phone numbers of every environmental organization that has put up a fight against expanding our exploration/drilling for new oil fields.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The profit motive would be far lower if it weren't illegal to purchase the heroin.

What is profit? It's the reward for providing the consumer with something he wants or needs. The consumer getting what he wants or needs is inherently a good thing. So yes, the profit motive is a "defining quality."
Then the public should have a profit motive and demand they profit if they allow private enterprise on public land, right?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I wonder how well environmentalists in oil producing countries outside the US do in regards to stopping the exporing/drilling for oil?

I think the US government should add enough tax to each gallon of gas so that we would be paying $6.00-$8.00 per gallon. They should then use this for developing alternate fuel sources.

If anyone complains just give them the addresses, emails and phone numbers of every environmental organization that has put up a fight against expanding our exploration/drilling for new oil fields.
And what makes you believe you won't be paying $6.00-8.00 a gallon even if we allow expanded exploration?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Then the public should have a profit motive and demand they profit is they allow private enterprise on public land, right?
Do you really feel like you have any ownership of public land? Come on, really?

If the public takes the profit, then what's the incentive for private companies?

The best thing would simply be to sell the land to private companies. Then, the public would have it's benefit (profit) and the companies theirs.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If you're talking about National Parks and such, well, why don't you just pay a fair price to use them? Why should the taxpayer, who may not like National Parks, subsidize your vacation there?

As a WAG I'd say for the same reasons people who don't drive pay to subsidize highways and infrastructure and people who don't fly pay to maintain an air traffic system.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Do you really feel like you have any ownership of public land? Come on, really?
So you're willing to concede and sell the country to corporate America?

Quote:
If the public takes the profit, then what's the incentive for private companies?
Where did I ever say the public should take ALL the profit, I simply believe we should insist on a fair share.

Quote:
The best thing would simply be to sell the land to private companies. Then, the public would have it's benefit (profit) and the companies theirs.
I don't know about you but I've seen enough myopic short-term action by the government in the last 25 years or so thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies