Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If something is destructive, it serves no purpose.

If something is constructive, it serves a purpose.

My original question has been answered.
Your logic is painfully incorrect and naive. In nature there are three potential states:
  1. Harmful to survival of the species
  2. Helpful to survival of the species
  3. Benign
Homosexuality to any objective person clearly falls in the third category. It's entirely benign. Even the assertion that homosexuals cannot reproduce, is on it's face a silly, hopelessly naive asertion, since many homosexual couples do have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 AM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
Homosexuality has been around since man has been on this earth. Whether you beleive that God is the creator or that humans evolved from other life forms is obviously irrelevant. I am gay and I beleive in God. I beleive he made me the way I am for a reason, and for that I am grateful. The real issue here is whether people think it is a choice or not. The people who think it is a choice think it is a dispicable act. Anybody who has actually talked to a gay person would find out nearly 100% of the time that those people felt they were born that way. If somebody is born that way then what is the harm if we are talking about 2 concenting adults. The arguement some people want to say is that if gay people are born that way then what about cannibals or serial killers or pedofiles. Clearly there is a distinct difference between harmful human action and unharmful human action. Psychologists long ago determined that homosexuality is NOT a mental disorder as once thought.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 AM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
Also....we as humans ALWAYS have to have an explanation for everything. That is what makes us a superior species. However, that can also work against us when we cannot find a clear explanation for something. I don't know how much more evidence in the world people need. Homosexuality exists in humans, it always has, and it exists in nature. Therefore, it is a part of nature (or God's plan) that people should accept.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Cannibalism and eating of offspring also exists in nature,is that acceptable?

Something happening in nature doesn't mean it isn't abnormal behavior.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
What an odd perspective. Remember the gay people didnt create themselves.... We came from straight people in better than 90% of the time. Just because one has a predisposition to same sex does not mean they have been exclusive. Many gay people have children but curiously they tend to generate heterosexual children.

btw scientific intervention would also not be considered "natural"

to say extinction would happen is an all or none mentality and that has a remote probabilty. Getting everyone with blond hair and blue eyes has a greater probability. Is not our hodgepodge of differences the true natural way? the extra chromosome is considered an abnormality however is it not "natural" or would some argue God made a mistake? We all have much to learn and take a variety ways to learn it. If being gay teaches me tolerance then who has the right to say it is wrong? If God passes the torch then maybe we will listen but until then I think people need to make sure thier lives are in order, they make others feel good and loved, they give to the world instead of constantly taking, they speak truth, they offer kindness to all, and so forth.
Why does anyone care what I or others do when I love someone? Worry about your bedroom, not mine.
The common quote used to say the bible says homosexuality is wrong is taken from Leviticus CH 18, vs 22: Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
If you look through these writings they indicate many things not to do, including contact with women on their periods, eating pork, shrimp, crabs, oysters, rabbits and many other things. In short the writings are a guideline for a people that had little understanding of life. It was designed to keep a troubled people on a path of good so they could have the benefit of finding the promised land. Too often people want to take excerpts in order to promote a prejudice. Oh and Levitcus had much to say about judgements. funny how people only select the parts that support them and ignore the rest.
I do not believe women to be unclean or vile because they have a period. Thankfully we have much better sanitation and knowledge than in centuries gone by. We have been given brains and most have common sense, sometimes both are used too rarely.
I do not believe homosexuality is unnatural or will damage humanity
Bad attitudes, hate, conceit, selfishness and ignorance are the things to fear for humanity. Invest time in removing those from your life and you will be happier, as will those around you.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Cannibalism and eating of offspring also exists in nature,is that acceptable?

Something happening in nature doesn't mean it isn't abnormal behavior.
So is left handedness, which is a much better analogy. As recently as 30-40 years ago ignorant people thought that it was abnormal and needed to be stamped out too. Amazing the ignorance of many religious based customs.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
So is left handedness, which is a much better analogy. As recently as 30-40 years ago ignorant people thought that it was abnormal and needed to be stamped out too. Amazing the ignorance of many religious based customs.
Easy question for you,is homosexuality normal or abnormal?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
What about the bisexual man who has kids with a woman but still wants to be with another man? If it's all about reproduction I guess he's okay?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Easy question for you,is homosexuality normal or abnormal?
Completely normal, just not as prevalent as heterosexuality. As I said more like left handedness. Something you're born with and you may suffer greatly if someone tries to force you to change. Once society relaxes and quits harping on it, everybody finds it's no big deal to give left handed people full rights.

Do you think left handed people are ABNORMAL?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Homosexuality is not destructive, it's the act of sexual promiscuity that is, in heteros and homos, the consequence in a non-religious manner but a scientific manner is the transfer of STDs. What you describe initially is "survival of the fittest", those that procreate will survive and flourish, thus if homosexuality is genetic, the success of this group is less successful than heteros. If you describe it as nongenetic but rather psychological or mental, it can thus be reserved through a process called sexual reorientation if the subject wanted. It is a natural process to deviate but deviation can be realigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies