Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM

23 posts, read 77,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Racism..
sure there is racism in America...
Go to Idaho and see skinheads who hate blacks and everyone not like them (and they are knuckleheads...)
Or to South Central Los Angeles where blacks hate the whites and the mexicans... (and they are thugsters) and the mexicans slowly pushing the blacks out of the area to surrounding communites (this has happened in 20 short years) (and they are illegals and have children that turn into gangsters)
Or experience white flight from California because whites are too emasculated to tell you the real reason they want out... minorities overextending the social systems.. and because many are fearful of the minorities because of violence ( I dont know what they are,,, ignorant maybe)
is it overt... not exactly.. thats too polictically incorrect today.. so what you experience in America is an undercurrent of bubbling of racism...

What you will find in America are racial groups that demand entitlement
and suck up social welfare and blame other ethnic groups for their own shortcomings

What you will find in America are enclaves of one or the other racial group... all cities are racially diverse.. are their tensions.. sure.. the last L A riot was only 1992... the one before that 1965... the next one.. and there will be another one,,, wont be as long in time as between the first two... because of ALL the ills created by persons disaffected from their communities, and the advent of drugs and gangs.. (thugster ganglife fosters racism by default)

Currently America is under siege from illegal immigrants from the south.. that creates fear.. fear fosters racism... if your mexican and want to do construction, or indian and want to open a gas station, or black and want a BBQ joint.. you'll do just fine (this statement is an example of racist attitudes in America.. and they are systemic)

What you will not find in America is the magic bullet of nirvana of peoples loving and respecting each other.. not in any good size American city anyway.

I dont consider myself racist... however I dont want anothers persons cultural mores and traditions shoved down my throat either... I happen to be white.. I feel very affected here in California by what are typically termed "minorities".. although in the real sense there are many places in California where white people are the minority....

I could care less about a person's skin color.. its what is inside them that matters...I have friends of all colors... well I did anyway when living in Los Angeles.. now I live in an area not very racially diverse.. I admit I enjoy the reduced tension I always experienced living in an area of California that contained huge amounts of "minorities" It is hard to be naturally accepting of other races when illegals are streaming across our borders and the ills of too many people living on top of each other foster a "it's me or them" mentality.

In America no one group "needs" to be anything.. there is opportunity for all.. it is however the raclal attitudes that encircle us with weighty chains as a nation

I would be very, very careful recommending California to anyone today.. unless a person has fully investigated and experienced the California "lifestyle" in the area where they want to live...
I find these boards very helpful in learning about peoples attitudes about a certain geographic area

In the late 70's I showed up on Venice beach in California after one particularly bad snowstrom, stuck in my radiocar, on the 95 coming out of Baltimore Maryland... L.A. was beautiful.. warm, sunny ocean breezes .. awesome looking bikini babes..I came seeking the California dream and three months later I transferred from Maryland to L.A. for a life long career with LASD... and during the next 25 years I got to experience overt and subtle racism.. all around me and directed to me personally...

In hindsite would I have come to California knowing all I know today about it... for the job and department yes.. in a heartbeat.. for the lifestyle NO WAY.... not in a major California city anyway.. a person would have to have blinders on to not be affected by what goes on outside their door in any California city today.. raise a family and expose them to California values .. absolutely not.... even if I was a multimillionare and could insulate my children from the outside world California is so kooky in so many ways children arent children here....
Insightful, accurate Post...

Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 AM

19 posts, read 77,839 times
thanks for the replys to my initial post.I have decided to move on to Dallas or san antonio. Let what ever comes. I tend to believe it would be better than england. I know here In UK at the moment if u have the black or brown colour even if u have the skills and abilities you would not get promotion in job or other areas.though there are exemption to that in some areas...

Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
GoPadge,,,
Your comments reflect clear thought and wisdom... Im wondering.. what are racial tensions like where you live in Texas... I read on the boards about the onslaught of illegal immigrants there, like California... Do your experiences mimic the frustrations I read about from other Texas residents?..
I'm new to Plano, having moved here in early November. Racial and ethnic diversity certainly exists in my neighborhood. Of the households I know of we have seven White families, one of whom are Russian, one interracial White and Asian family and one Black family. (That's pretty in line with US statistical figures for Blacks and Asians, we are short a known Hispanic family to bring the numbers more in line.) But between the holidays and unpacking I haven't gotten to know more families.

Prior to moving to Plano, I was in Milford, TX, pop 685. In Milford my immediate neighbors included seven families. Of which five were White (with one having an interracial daughter from a previous marriage), one was interracial White and Hispanic, and one was Black. There was one other property that was a rental house, and during the two years we were there, it housed three Hispanic families, one White and one Black family. Finally I know there was one Indian family in town.

Milford was obviously small, and there was a social divide between the majority of the Black population and the rest of the general population. This divide was, at the time I moved there, simply the remnants of the forced segregation of the early part of the 20th Century.

There are two main churches, the Baptist church and the Black Baptist church, there are small congregations of Presbyterians, Methodist and Catholics. There is no industry or business in Milford other than the Cash Grocery and the school, so residents I know of work in Hillsboro, Waxahachie, Cleburne, Midlothian, Arlington, Glenn Heights or Dallas. Some are in the construction industry and work all over the Metroplex.

Illegal immigration in not as big a factor in small towns like Milford. (Though I guess it could effect those that make a portion of their living working the local farms at harvest time. I'm just not aware of it.) Nor have I found it to be an issue yet in Plano. But then I'm in the IT industry, which has more to worry about from legal workers than illegals. I work for Cingular Wireless and our immediate team consists of a number of racial or national groups, including Indian, Vietnamese, Hispanic, Pakistani, Chinese and White. I do miss going to lunch with some of the Indian contractors, I'm still working on getting myself financially settled from the move once that is done, I intend to get out for lunch once a week with some of my coworkers.

I am opposed to illegal immigration. I believe those here illegally should be deported. Businesses that willing hire, and landlords that willing rent to, illegals should be prosecuted. I am not without compassion for illegals, I would not Deny them medical treatment, and would certainly recommend leniency for those who can demonstrate a reasonable threat to their safety in their home countries. Any guilty of a crime, (other than illegal immigration,) should be deported.

If the work situation is as drastic, especially in manual labor jobs, as some make it out to be, then the quotas for LEGAL immigration should be changed. But I suspect that some current residents who are content to live off the current system, might be encouraged to seek gainful employment once the business profits from illegal works dry up some of the social services coffers.

Quote:
My wife and I have been looking at Texas because we want more land ( Im retired,, shes an AP science teacher.. we're currently in Northern Calfornia on 30 acres... but we've been looking at large tracts in Texas... partly because the land is affordable.. partly because Im burned out on California liberalism, nutty people, and high costs of living...
Land is certainly available in Texas. There are a number of areas were you can find 5 - 50 acre tracts available for a homestead. But most of them are not in major cities. While a hour drive through the countryside is not so bad to get into Dallas or Fort Worth when you're going to see a show, a 20 minute drive to the grocery store or Walmart can get tiresome after a while.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,015 times
It is people like Jesse Jackson who spread the "I'm black so you owe me something" mentality in America today. If people like him would stop spreading hatred and tell people to take responsibility for their own actions America would be less racially divided.

But ... didn't Bill Cosby say something like that recently? And what is the name of that guy on Fox News who is black and says the same thing?
As long as one group thinks another group 'owes them something' the nation will be divided.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
It is people like Jesse Jackson who spread the "I'm black so you owe me something" mentality in America today. If people like him would stop spreading hatred and tell people to take responsibility for their own actions America would be less racially divided.

But ... didn't Bill Cosby say something like that recently? And what is the name of that guy on Fox News who is black and says the same thing?
As long as one group thinks another group 'owes them something' the nation will be divided.
I believe you're referring to Alan Keyes. I voted for him in the SC Republican primary in 2000. I found his show on MSNBC to be insightful to his thought process and would gladly support him again if he were to run for President.

In a similar vein, I debate with my wife on whom to vote for in the 2004 Democratic primary. (In SC a voter may only vote in one primary for a given year, but may vote in whichever party's primary they want.) I ended up voting for Joe Lieberman, as he seemed to be the closest to my own political views and was not afraid to say he voted for the war in Iraq. Whereas what I heard from the other candidate was political end-talk, claiming either they didn't vote for the war when they had, or that they were pressured to, or they only voted based on the information available. (With the last option, at least implying that they did in fact willingly vote for the war.)

Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 AM

211 posts, read 290,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
I don't think America owes Blacks anything anymore then they owe Whites anything. Only 500k slaves were brought to North America compared to something like 4 million for Brazil alone. Either way they were sold by other Black nations to the Europeans on the West coast of Africa (they never had to go inland -- although Europeans explored in the 1800s) and the Arab slave trade certainly was similar in scope.

Furthermore, with all the senseless crime/welfare spending, etc "we" don't owe anyone anything. Especially when you consider we took people who did not even have a wheel or written language and gave them technology, books, cars, airplanes, electricity, internet, computer, fried food, bling bling, stereos, etc.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
I don't think America owes Blacks anything anymore then they owe Whites anything. Only 500k slaves were brought to North America compared to something like 4 million for Brazil alone. Either way they were sold by other Black nations to the Europeans on the West coast of Africa (they never had to go inland -- although Europeans explored in the 1800s) and the Arab slave trade certainly was similar in scope.

Furthermore, with all the senseless crime/welfare spending, etc "we" don't owe anyone anything. Especially when you consider we took people who did not even have a wheel or written language and gave them technology, books, cars, airplanes, electricity, internet, computer, fried food, bling bling, stereos, etc.
You are preaching to the choir!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Tom, you should move to California. There is a heavy Asian population in California, ecspecially Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese. The San Francisco Area is gorgeous, San Francisco 20% Asian population is very high. 1/3 of all Asians in the U.S. live in California, many live on Hawaii. Hawaii has a greater Asian population than Caucasian population. Los Angeles has many asians as well, even the smaller ethnic groups, Burmese, Thai, Laos, Cambodia. 11% percent of Los Angeles county has Asian folks in 2000 Census, so if the population in the county was 9,998,000 that's a little over 1 million. California has such a great Asian population, the Koreans, Filipinos, Chinese and whoever else splits time on the stations. Many Asians live in Massachusettes, and some in Florida. There will probably be a slight increase in racism in Florida. I don't know too much about these states. Anymore questions friend, happy to help!
That was a racist remark if I ever heard one...move to California where lots of your kind live...

I live in the Houston area and my daughter is an RN and there is huge shortage of RNs here, once your girlfriend passed the state exam she would have no problem going to work here...We have a world known medical center here..

Last edited by texanborn; 01-04-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Tom, where have you been?? sure there is racism in America still. In East Texas a few years back, a black man was dragged to death by two racists for no reason but for being black. Last year, when Katrina happened, a black rapper(and a bad one at that) stood up and said George Bush hates black people--even though the president is the first to have two black highest level cabinet Sec of States(the rapper is racist). In New York City, Cops shot an unarmed black man 50 times, and also the Mayor of New Orleans stood on television and stated, that new orleans was chocolate city and that his god told him so.

I would say that America is a racist country still, just as France is still a racist city with riots last year; where England is still racist and skinheads attack people of color all the time; yes still racist when an Interracial Couple has to ask, where is a safe place to live for Interracial Couples in the Austin area, sure it is still a racist country--getting better but still racist

I thought you could only be a racist in America if you were white...guess I've been watching the wrong television talk shows...

Old 01-04-2007, 01:23 PM

I think we should take a timeout and remember that there is a difference between the words Racist/Racism and Racial.

Racist/Racism - a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Racial - of, relating to, or based on a race.

(from www.m-w.com)

dusesean1986's statement did not appear to support any racial superiority and therefore is not racist. It does have a racial component, but I belive his intent was to the best locations for one of Asian decent to find others like him/herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies