Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times

Advertisements

Well, most of them go out and ride around in different areas and hope they don't run into any IEDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I hope that your admission that all US soldiers are raping and pillaging didn't pain you too much...
Where did this come from? First of all, the comment was "at least one". Are you saying that these things didn't happen? Is it okay that they do this? Are you making excuses? Of course not all military people do this, but it does happen.

Whole countries have been put on lockdown for military member behavior, including several rapes. This occurred in Japan earlier this year. All people connected with the US military were on lockdown.

For the most part, the military are doing the jobs they were trained for, communications, cooking, admin, and soldiers/marines doing their jobs.
I haven't met one who wasn't changed when they came back.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Kind of amusing on how a relative few stories on misconduct by troops in relation to the total number that serve and operate in theater can generate such concern, but the daily and sustained rate of brutality and crime on our very own soil and cities somehow just gets a pass. If we only had such passion to hold our justice system and activist judiciary accountable. If you want to know what our troops are doing in theater, then get a hold of one of numerous veterans groups who would be happy to relate a good part of their boots on the ground experience. Might not hurt to also call you elected representatives and major media sources telling them the same. It's a shame that on numerous occassions when vets want to tell their story and share experiences, be it bad or good, then they get shouted down or shut out by Code Pink types and their ilk. Oh, and heaven forbid they are allowed to enter the hallowed halls of academia where no one, but no one with the loudest protests will ever face the responsibility of service. Heck, even if we had to bring back the draft in an extreme emergency or crisis, we have already set a precedent that you can just shirk your duty and flaunt the law and nothing will be done to you. OK, I said my piece, and before anyone comments, yes I am a vet with multiple periods of service in two branches all the way from Carter to today, and I also know a little about academia as I graduated from college.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
The draft is unconstitutional.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Where did this come from? First of all, the comment was "at least one". Are you saying that these things didn't happen? Is it okay that they do this? Are you making excuses? Of course not all military people do this, but it does happen.
How do you get that? Did I not say yes, horrible acts are committed by horrible people? Did you not see that I then added that we should not forget that people who murder and rape do face criminal charges and are held accountable for their crimes via military tribunal? Wtf?
Whole countries have been put on lockdown for military member behavior, including several rapes. This occurred in Japan earlier this year. All people connected with the US military were on lockdown.

For the most part, the military are doing the jobs they were trained for, communications, cooking, admin, and soldiers/marines doing their jobs.
I haven't met one who wasn't changed when they came back.
And that was my point.....there are bad people everywhere including in our military. But at least the military will hold those accountable for their deeds. The poster very relunctantly (again, imho) admitted that not all US military are raping and pillaging in Iraq. I personally found the tone of the post offensive. Granted, when typing tone is subjective, but there you have it.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What do you think our soldiers do in IRAQ

Just curious what Americans think our soldiers and non-soldiers (volunteer, such as medical etc) do in Iraq....
Building schools. Building Athletic Fields. Building and expanding Hospitals and medical services. Helping to expand their agriculture. Providing Electricity, Water, Sanitation to areas of the country that had never had these things.

Helping to rebuild infrastructure. Helping to train the Iraqi security forces.

Helping the people of Iraq.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
One=all in camping's book ...

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Question What do you think our soldiers do in IRAQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What do you think our soldiers do in IRAQ

Just curious what Americans think our soldiers and non-soldiers (volunteer, such as medical etc) do in Iraq....
I think they do their best to carry out their assigned mission, while attempting to remain alive in the process. Over 4000 have not accomplished that second part. Another 35,000 or so have lost limbs and eyeballs, forever making their lives less than they should be.

I wonder how many of them now think it was worthwhile?

What do you think they do?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I wonder how many of them now think it was worthwhile?
More than you might imagine actually.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
The draft is unconstitutional.

"provide for the common defense"

That's a pretty large umbrella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies