Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,759,433 times

Advertisements

In 1992, the U.S. Supreme court ruled that you cannot tax an internet business unless the business had a physical presence in the state. However recently, states are suing online businesses for taxes. They project a loss of revenue but their reasons is because people "look" at merchandise locally and buy on the internet for a better price.

Chicago sues eBay and StubHub over amusement taxes - May. 20, 2008 (broken link)

What do you think? Should the goods on the internet be taxed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,675,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
In 1992, the U.S. Supreme court ruled that you cannot tax an internet business unless the business had a physical presence in the state. However recently, states are suing online businesses for taxes. They project a loss of revenue but their reasons is because people "look" at merchandise locally and buy on the internet for a better price.

Chicago sues eBay and StubHub over amusement taxes - May. 20, 2008 (broken link)

What do you think? Should the goods on the internet be taxed?
Yes they should. Why the hell should the local merchant have to pay taxes on what he sells yet the internet merchant pays zero? The internet merchant already has advantages in not having to maintain a storefront with employees and such.
So then the question becomes HOW to tax them because it would be impossible to keep up with thousands of local tax rates that change all the time and what is exempt here and not exempt there or- as in Georgia which has 2 weekends a year where you can buy "school supplies and clothes" exempt from taxes. Therefore the only answer would be a national tax in internet sales that would be apportioned among the states according to population.
Ebay is a different animal though. It does not sell anything. Individuals sell things on its site and it should not be responsible to pay taxes that individuals owe.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,759,433 times
Ebay could collect taxes from buyers based on the zip code it is mailed to...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,683,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes they should. Why the hell should the local merchant have to pay taxes on what he sells yet the internet merchant pays zero? The internet merchant already has advantages in not having to maintain a storefront with employees and such.
Then the merchant should be utilizing the internet in addition to his storefront. Theoretically his internet store can be equally competitive as any other... however he still has that storefront. Thus storefront owners have an additional degree of potential profit making.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,873,387 times
Quote:
Technically ebay doesnt transact financial transactions, thereby they couldnt collect the taxes. They could however send out financial documents at the end of the year with a total sales for the year..

Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM

Let me tell you, I make most of my living from buying/selling online. While I claim 100% of my revenues on my tax returns, sales tax is a completely different story. Its very difficult currently to sell on various websites and enforce a sales tax because websites do not want to be bothered with collecting the tax on the vendors behalf. I think they should be forced to collect this tax, (along with numerous other sellers I know) but it will takes some force by the government to have it happen.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,255,166 times
Absolutely not.

If we tax internet purchases, then we have to go after people who physically purchase goods in states or even foreign countries without a sales tax. After all, why should those purchases get away untaxed? Can anyone imagine the bureaucratic nightmare that would ensure?

While it may not seem fair that a person with an actual store has to collect sales tax while internet merchants get away without doing it, it is not the government's role to subsidize a form of business that is less effective (the physical store) by taxing the more effective competitor. It is also a bad idea to punish more effective retailers through additional taxes.

People pay more than enough tax in this country already. At all levels of government.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Absolutely not.

If we tax internet purchases, then we have to go after people who physically purchase goods in states or even foreign countries without a sales tax. After all, why should those purchases get away untaxed? Can anyone imagine the bureaucratic nightmare that would ensure?

While it may not seem fair that a person with an actual store has to collect sales tax while internet merchants get away without doing it, it is not the government's role to subsidize a form of business that is less effective (the physical store). It is also a bad idea to punish more effective retailers through additional taxes.

People pay more than enough tax in this country already. At all levels of government.
The problem is that most internet sales, proper sales tax in state is never collected, even though legally it should be. The sales tax is one of the most fair taxes that exist. Consume, and pay taxes. The more people consume, the more taxes they pay.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,255,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The sales tax is one of the most fair taxes that exist. Consume, and pay taxes. The more people consume, the more taxes they pay.
If there's going to be tax, then yes, I agree with that statement.

I'm just extremely wary of the government setting up yet another bureau to enforce tax payments that we have been getting along fine without paying.

Get rid of the IRS and the income tax, and then I'll maybe support it!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,675,435 times
Quote:
Not really. My zip code includes 3 city jurisdictions (Austell, Mabelton and part of Lithia Springs as well as unincorporated parts of 2 counties (Cobb and Douglas). Each has its own sales tax rate and each decides what will be taxed and what will not be taxed. Then you have the state tax which also has its own exemptions and "no tax" holidays for certain items. It would be a nightmare. That is why a national sales tax of a fixed amount would be a fair way to resolve the issue. The money paid to the Federal Government who would then send it to each state based on that state's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies