Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,755,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
DNA test should be SOP on all births. Then no problem- the baby is either yours or the mailman's. If the DNA don't match, not your problem.
Exactly, that is what I was suggesting.. making paternity testing a standard of care for all births within marriages. The father can choose to accept it and the financial responsibility or move on and divorce... I think plenty marriages will be in for a rude awakening... I see infidelity so much, it is staggering..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,340,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
And if the biological father is a deadbeat, or can't be found, or for whatever reason can't pay support?
The mother should have thought about that before she jumped into bed with him and got pregnant while passing the child off on some unsuspecting guy to pay for, until the child is 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That isn't the problem of the non-biological father... the mother carries that responsibility... she made that decision, not the father... he is not the one at fault...
I agree, the responsbility should fall on her shoulders. I think this is a disgusting thing to do to a man.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,194,301 times
Quote:
That isn't the problem of the non-biological father... the mother carries that responsibility... she made that decision, not the father... he is not the one at fault...
Then people shouldn't complain when women choose to abort.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,138,527 times
Quote:
paternity testing should be a requirement then if they want to keep presumptive paternity.
Sounds good.

Legally? Doesn't work that way too much

Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then people shouldn't complain when women choose to abort.
Ummm... the topic is not about abortion...its presumptive paternity...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sounds good.

Legally? Doesn't work that way too much
Currently legal interpretations don't give the "presumptive father" much rights. They assume it is a preservation of father-child relationship to continue this way but if the father knows he isn't the father to begin with, this changes the rules and presumptive paternity cannot be forced on him since he hasn't developed a father-child relationship.. he should have full knowledge before going into something and since it has serious financial ramifications, paternity tests will give him informed consent... he can say no or yes and understand the financial seriousness of accepting the role... if he says no and divorces the wife, he should not be liable for the child's upkeep...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,138,527 times
Quote:
Currently legal interpretations don't give the "presumptive father" much rights.
I understand this -

Quote:
They assume it is a preservation of father-child relationship to continue this way but if the father knows he isn't the father to begin with, this changes the rules and presumptive paternity cannot be forced on him since he hasn't developed a father-child relationship..
However - the courts are only concerned with the financial well being of the child

Quote:
he should have full knowledge before going into something and since it has serious financial ramifications, paternity tests will give him informed consent... he can say no or yes and understand the financial seriousness of accepting the role... if he says no and divorces the wife, he should not be liable for the child's upkeep...
Should not be but, is liable

Old 05-21-2008, 06:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,037,269 times
The courts are concerned first and foremost with care of the child, as they should be. If you as a presumptive father can identify for the court the biological father, I think the court can an will entertain an action against to man.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,530,177 times
I personally don't understand how the courts can force a man to financially support someone else's child. It seems completely unfair to me. Where is the woman's responsibility here? Someone had to father the child, and the bio father and the mother should be responsible, not the poor guy who was duped. (Unless of course he wants to take on the responsibility!)

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,530,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The courts are concerned first and foremost with care of the child, as they should be. If you as a presumptive father can identify for the court the biological father, I think the court can an will entertain an action against to man.
And why should the presumptive father have to identify the bio father for the court? That should be the mother's responsibility, she is the one who slept with him after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies