Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You are absolutely right, actually I find that employers prefer job hoppers, or at least those who rotate every 2-3 years. It gives them experience and shows they enjoy new challenges.

Employees are like independent contractors that is for sure, you are on your own these days, swim or sink.
That's because frequent job churners don't build up any seniority related salary and perks! And yes, to the extent the IRS permits, companies love independent contractors, but they try to treat such contractors as employees, supervision wise. Been there, do that! I had to stand my ground and wave my employment contract in front of a company lawyer before I received the autonomy that I was entitled and paying for! Here's a rough rule of thumb for those considering going the independent contractor route, you need to gross at least 3 times the salary that a comparable employer-employee position would pay. Remember, your compensation (not salary!) is negotiated and all your perks and taxes are self-paid! Use an attorney well versed in independent contractor contracts, the extra cost is well worth the extra expanse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
If an individual starts working at age 25 and saves and invests correctly he/she can retire comfortably in 25 years, that's at the ripe age of 50. It's proven and I've seen it done in less time, however it means you can retire early and live comfortably, not lavishly. One shouldn't be overdependant on a company or government, they can fail at anytime, yet you have a choice, to work for yourself, it pays off in the end, since who can you trust the most but yourself.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
To paraphrase Reverend Wright " The chickens of the past..., are coming home..., to roost"!
Yup, when the Chinese deplete all of the oil and fill the atmosphere with CO2 we can all enjoy Peking Duck while pimping in our Prius's. What a country.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Yup, when the Chinese deplete all of the oil and fill the atmosphere with CO2 we can all enjoy Peking Duck while pimping in our Prius's. What a country.
Jim Rogers said it best:

Teach your children Chinese.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
If an individual starts working at age 25 and saves and invests correctly he/she can retire comfortably in 25 years, that's at the ripe age of 50. It's proven and I've seen it done in less time, however it means you can retire early and live comfortably, not lavishly. One shouldn't be overdependant on a company or government, they can fail at anytime, yet you have a choice, to work for yourself, it pays off in the end, since who can you trust the most but yourself.
When it works, this is true. Yet, the statistics show over half of all new starts in business fail and leave huge debts... Like any get rich scheme, sometimes it works, but more often, it doesn't.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times
Default It's never hopeless...

I'm turning 60 and I'm starting a new job...A decent job.

It took a while, a lot of resumes and a lot of networking. But, there is always opportunity.

When I was in my 30's and 40's, I had a few friends that were then in their 80's and even 90's...These guys lived through the depression of 1929, WWII, and the severe recession in the late 1940's (after the war). A couple of them lost everything during these occurrences - And, they all told me the same thing - You bounce back.

Two of them even went back to work in their late 60's and early 70's. They survived quite well, and died in their own homes (both were in their 90's, and they owned the homes - nice homes in nice areas).

I'm going to do the same. I know I'll have to work until I'm 70 or 72 - But, you know what?...It's great to be working again...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 AM

196 posts, read 208,445 times
Quote:
For many persons, finding a new job after age 50 is like trekking across Death Valley! Many are forced into involuntary retirement or end up working at low wage entry level jobs just keep food on the table and a roof over their heads!

Can't retire, can't find job: Older workers struggle - May. 21, 2008

....I wouldnt hire that guy in the picture either...he doesnt look like any real ball of fire.....

Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I'm turning 60 and I'm starting a new job...A decent job.

It took a while, a lot of resumes and a lot of networking. But, there is always opportunity.

When I was in my 30's and 40's, I had a few friends that were then in their 80's and even 90's...These guys lived through the depression of 1929, WWII, and the severe recession in the late 1940's (after the war). A couple of them lost everything during these occurrences - And, they all told me the same thing - You bounce back.

Two of them even went back to work in their late 60's and early 70's. They survived quite well, and died in their own homes (both were in their 90's, and they owned the homes - nice homes in nice areas).

I'm going to do the same. I know I'll have to work until I'm 70 or 72 - But, you know what?...It's great to be working again...
Good post, good points, thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
....I wouldnt hire that guy in the picture either...he doesnt look like any real ball of fire.....
Never judge a book by its cover! One of the first rules of Human Resource Management! "Balls of fire" persons tend to have a short star cycle!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM

196 posts, read 208,445 times
Quote:
Never judge a book by its cover! One of the first rules of Human Resource Management! "Balls of fire" persons tend to have a short star cycle!

lol, I really dont care either way, I did my time already in the work force, I pity anyone at any age who has to go out there and haul in a few bucks, its truly a pitiful selection of trees to pick from....and the clouds are only going to get darker (if you take my meaning)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies