U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 AM

525 posts, read 1,616,622 times

Advertisements

I have a question. I have been to the North east (MA, NY, RI etc) and even DC falls into as well..ppl are SO rude up there! Southerners seem much more friendly..do you think this correlates with how we raise our children? And if so, if they don't have corporal punishment in schools and the schools are worse (I have no idea..just speculating) up north, could there be a correlation between the two? Or do you think southerners just raise their kids differently in general?

Just curious? I am not from the south but have spent the last seven years in the south (SC, GA and NC) and it just seems there is a huge difference in manners, respect and etiquette between the two.
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 07:57 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,999,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Too bad most kids who are suspended come home and have no supervision so they get a free vacation. It doesn't teach them much anyways. Consistency is the key. Most kids are rude anyways these days.
I agree. While I think there should be an opt out with CP I think it should be there. Going through the schools here I can only remember it being used once and trust me this kid was way overdue.

Unfortunately there are some children/young adults that do not have the supervision and or love at home to guide them. Maybe CP was some sort of deterrent for them.

I too would opt out and be upset if someone else was to whack my kid as we enjoy doing that ourselves

Last edited by CharlotteAgent; 01-04-2007 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,267,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04 View Post
Thank you Peggy Dean for all of your hard work and dedication!!
Amen to that!! She is a senior member who worked very hard to get this accomplished.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The children who are out of control to the point of being paddled, are not going to be changed for the better by more violence. Do you HONESTLY believe those are the children who aren't being disciplined at home? More likely they are the ones being beaten every night. The facts are the children who are being paddled are consistently from low income homes. And yes, I think the poor are more likely to hit their children. Lack of education=ignorance.

If you want to spank your children at home, that's your choice. How could you want someone else to make that judgement for you??

Okay, now I'm ready for this thread to be closed!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:38 AM

235 posts, read 655,796 times
I have to tell you this is a good thing, I don't think we should teach our children that hitting is a good thing, it is still violence. Now someone said that they will do away with suspension and what does it matter because they sit at home playing with video games. Here in NY there is no OUT of school suspension all schools now do in house which means NO VIDEO GAMES or tv or talking on phone. They sit in a designated room attached to the guidance room and do work!! I think this is one of the smartest things NY has done and I don't agree with a lot of the education decisions made here lately!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,999,447 times
They do both here ISS (In School suspension) and OSS depending on the severity of the punishment.

Obviously there is no easy answer. It takes a village to raise Children. Hopefully the ones that need that extra loving are able to find it.

Sad really that some parents just do not care....

Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM

259 posts, read 1,077,966 times
No, I disagree. A problem child at school (physically disruptive, disrerspectful) can very well be a child with an unhappy home like you say, but can equally as likely be a spoiled brat of a child who is not disciplined at home at all. And that can happen in ANY income bracket people. Working in retail, my wife comes across an incredible amount of kids that are out of control, and the moms tend to be stay at home moms with nothing better to do than shop, so that kind of doesn't sound like lower income to me.

So don't paint with a broad brush the generality that people who spank their kids must be poor and uneducated. Maybe the ones that do it openly in the mall food court are indeed on a lower rung of society, but you make assumptions about an entire portion of society because of how they choose to discipline.

I do not think CP in schools is an automatic evil that must be eliminated, but unless there are strict rules in place it will probably lead to more trouble than it could alleviate. My wife remembers portions of her childhood spent in Alabama having 6th graders who forgot their homework line up for a paddlin'- I'm no psychologist but that seems incredibly pointless.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,267,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
No, I disagree. A problem child at school (physically disruptive, disrerspectful) can very well be a child with an unhappy home like you say, but can equally as likely be a spoiled brat of a child who is not disciplined at home at all. And that can happen in ANY income bracket people. Working in retail, my wife comes across an incredible amount of kids that are out of control, and the moms tend to be stay at home moms with nothing better to do than shop, so that kind of doesn't sound like lower income to me.

So don't paint with a broad brush the generality that people who spank their kids must be poor and uneducated. Maybe the ones that do it openly in the mall food court are indeed on a lower rung of society, but you make assumptions about an entire portion of society because of how they choose to discipline.

I do not think CP in schools is an automatic evil that must be eliminated, but unless there are strict rules in place it will probably lead to more trouble than it could alleviate. My wife remembers portions of her childhood spent in Alabama having 6th graders who forgot their homework line up for a paddlin'- I'm no psychologist but that seems incredibly pointless.

Research shows paddling can and often does result in injuries to students. Data also show it is disproportionately used on poor children, minorities, students with disabilities and boys. And educators atest that as a deterrent to bad behavior, paddling doesn't work. The same children are punished over and over. Schools using it often have poorer academic achievement, more truancy, more vandalism, and higher dropout rates.

Charlotte Observer

Of course it's not only the poorer parents who spank their children. But it seems to be their children are the only ones who get paddled.
I'm sure the spoiled kids at the mall who have everything they want get no discipline and have no supervision aren't the ones getting their $200 jeans pulled down to get a whoopin' in school. Hmmm, I wonder why?

When a white, middle class mom posts on this forum saying her little girl has just come home with a beaten and bruised butt, then we could probably have a fair debate about paddling.

It's easy to be in favor of something when it doesn't affect your life.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 AM

504 posts, read 1,619,324 times
I never laid a hand on my girls, if another adult touched my girls, spanked, hit or whatever I would file a lawsuit.If you hit a child that child will grow up to hit. Why would anyone want to hit someone smaller than themselves? Bunch of sadists if you ask me.
I was spanked when I was twelve years old in South carolina for spilling perfume in class and was taken to the principals office and spanked after the pervert made me lift my skirts. This was in 1962, if it happened now the pervert would be in jail where he should have been then.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 33,611 times
Im shocked! I had no idea they still had corporal pushment anywhere in the free world, and listening to how some people feel about northerners I wonder how their children will be treated by some who dont like transplants. Wow I wont be anywhere with corporal punshiment. I have worked with children for 20 yrs I cant believe how anyone would hit a child especieally someone elses. Thank God I know this now, I would have really been in jail in someone hit mine own.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 AM

259 posts, read 1,077,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Research shows paddling can and often does result in injuries to students. Data also show it is disproportionately used on poor children, minorities, students with disabilities and boys. And educators atest that as a deterrent to bad behavior, paddling doesn't work. The same children are punished over and over. Schools using it often have poorer academic achievement, more truancy, more vandalism, and higher dropout rates.

Charlotte Observer

Of course it's not only the poorer parents who spank their children. But it seems to be their children are the only ones who get paddled.
I'm sure the spoiled kids at the mall who have everything they want get no discipline and have no supervision aren't the ones getting their $200 jeans pulled down to get a whoopin' in school. Hmmm, I wonder why?

When a white, middle class mom posts on this forum saying her little girl has just come home with a beaten and bruised butt, then we could probably have a fair debate about paddling.

It's easy to be in favor of something when it doesn't affect your life.

You're making a different point now. In the earlier post you said the equivalant of "poor people are uneducated and spank", and now you are quoting a news article to support an altogether DIFFERENT point that poorer children (along with disabled, and minorities) fall victim to CP in schools disproportionately. One minute you're condemning anyone who does spank, and now decrying it in schools because it is unfair.

Either way, if a certain group of children (boys, minorities, disabilities, etc) are unfairly targeted by CP- then it points to a bigger issue, because they would be unfairly targeted and punished with OR even without CP being in schools. There is a problem in schools today with administrators sometimes having a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude towards those who have even the slightest history of misbehavior, along with being biased towards boys, or those with learning disabilities.

I remember being a fairly gentle kid in grade school, but in 4th grade I said something a girl didn't like so she punched me right in the face. Even without laying a hand on her I was automatically guilty of fighting and actually spent more time in the office than she did getting lectured. If that situation had been turned around and a boy hit a girl, even with provocation, the administrators would be falling all over themselves with compassion for the victimized girl and ther boy would be demonized. In boils down to fairness and equality, and no matter how hard we strive for it in the adult world we send our kids off to schools that are a double standard in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies