Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Maybe I'm taking for granted that every place I've lived has had a peephole on the door.
I thought that after I posted....we don't have a peephole,although we do have a glass panel but it is wavy glass so everyone looks like a stranger...

Of course depending upon the time, we would be armed if someone came to the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Hey Lindsey, I think you responded when I told everyone about our attempted home invasion in early April.

The folks that are dumb enough to break into a home, let alone a home at night that is most likely occupied, are stupid and get what's coming to them if they run across the wrong person with a weapon. Too bad.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Something else people should realise is most doors(even those with deadbolts) can be kicked in.

One solution is to have your doors swing outward and have a steel door frame.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Something else people should realise is most doors(even those with deadbolts) can be kicked in.

Also get rid of those wimpy one inch screws that come with the doorknob set and replace them with four inch screws that go all the way into the 2x4 studs (use heavy duty striker plates too). Someone can probably still kick my doors in, but it will take them long enough for me to be able to get my shotgun. I also have storm doors that stay locked, so if I hear someone messing with that storm door I know to get ready for action.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 PM

I REALLY didn't want our fornt door but we have it...hopefuly not for too much longer as we have someone coming to look at our house tomorrow.

We also have glass french doors that aren't exaclty safe.

Our future home will be a lot more secure.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Deadbolts with at least a 1" throw and with 3" screws in the plate which goes in the door jamb is effective against door kick-ins.

Quote:
Door that swing outward would have exterior hinges, so the hinges would have to be secured somehow.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Hey Lindsey, I think you responded when I told everyone about our attempted home invasion in early April.

The folks that are dumb enough to break into a home, let alone a home at night that is most likely occupied, are stupid and get what's coming to them if they run across the wrong person with a weapon. Too bad.
I agree, the are dumb. Maybe this is natures way of thinning the herd.

I remember your break in, how awful.

I do hope I never have to face that but if I do, I plan on emptying my weapon into the person. Six hollow points should stop whoever it is.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
That's what I have in my .38...hollow point.

In fact, a friend who is on the police force in a surrounding county told me to empty the weapon if I ever had an issue again. This surprised me as I thought I would be told to just wound them until the police could arrive.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
That's what I have in my .38...hollow point.

In fact, a friend who is on the police force in a surrounding county told me to empty the weapon if I ever had an issue again. This surprised me as I thought I would be told to just wound them until the police could arrive.
From what I was told since you and I are not trained, the assumption is that we can't pick out a certain part of the body. We are supposed to aim for the main part of the body and empty the weapon.

If it were a police officer, trained in shooting etc. there would be some assumption they would be qualified to hit just a leg or something.

Personally I want to make sure the individual doesn't get better and come back for me after he gets out of jail.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:32 AM

No, you are trained to shoot center mass and to keep shooting until the threat is neutralised.

Shooting to wound is some made up fantasy.

A 12G shotgun would make y'alls lives easier....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies