Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 12:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
Not a Failed state for me

I love it here in California.
I love the weather.
I love the fact I can go to the beach in 20 minutes by car in light traffic.

I just contributed to CA economy with my small business. Sales tax revenue as well as CA license fees and all the vehicle taxes I pay here, the property taxes are fair. 5 grand a year for me for now.

No Earthquake insurance needed at my Location which is also not in a Fire risk area or a flood zone or a tornado zone.

I am not so sure about hurricanes here in the future, but my insurance is not on that radar for now.
California is the Golden State for a Reason.
I love the wild mustard that grow here in California, it tastes delicious.

I don't know about y'all but I plan to die in my bed here of old age of course
If California is so greatly wonderful and Oklahoma is so terrifically bad best avoided like the plague, it is interesting how the most likely out of state license plate I see in my town after Texas and Kansas is California. Evidently, some Californians are taking the $5000 bribe plus free coffee for a year from Aspen.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Can I have some of my taxes back then? If not, why not?

Old 04-29-2022, 12:52 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Why is Tulsa unpopular?

I like Midtown.

And aren't some of the suburbs nice ? (I'm thinking Owasso....doesn't or didn't Garth Brooks have a place there?)
It's due to year round bad weather there why Tulsa and Oklahoma are so unpopular. If it isn't the wind blowing night and day, it's something else wrong with the weather, such as big hail, ice storms or tornadoes. Also lack of good paying jobs is a factor. It seems some people can be bribed, though. Most Oklahoma suburbs are nice from having low crime rates. Tulsa Midtown is nice from having Cherry St. and Utica Square. Garth Brooks lives near Nashville.

My Oklahoma friend chose to live in San Diego after getting out of the Marines some time ago and likes it so much better there, that he doesn't want to move back to Oklahoma.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:01 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
Not a Failed state for me

I love it here in California.
I love the weather.
I love the fact I can go to the beach in 20 minutes by car in light traffic.

I just contributed to CA economy with my small business. Sales tax revenue as well as CA license fees and all the vehicle taxes I pay here, the property taxes are fair. 5 grand a year for me for now.

No Earthquake insurance needed at my Location which is also not in a Fire risk area or a flood zone or a tornado zone.

I am not so sure about hurricanes here in the future, but my insurance is not on that radar for now.
California is the Golden State for a Reason.
I love the wild mustard that grow here in California, it tastes delicious.

I don't know about y'all but I plan to die in my bed here of old age of course
I love how you say it's not a failed state but then list 2 things related to geography, natural beauty and weather and not related to how the state is run.

Also, I'm not sure California will ever be at a risk for hurricanes due to cold pacific water temps.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:04 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Just what do you mean California is a dangerous place? The most recent citi-data crime index for San Diego is only a measly 208.3. Compare that to Tulsa with 570, a city many conservatives and everybody else on here want to avoid living there like the plague.

Any place that has delightful year round weather, awesome mountain scenery, including skiing and a beach to go to is going to far, far more costly to live in than Tulsa.
Might that be because most crimes in CA are ignored? Might it be because criminals can steal up to a certain dollar amount, daily, and not even be arrested?

Old 04-29-2022, 05:07 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
That is one data point quote the same metric in 2 years.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:14 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
They spend the most on education and are ranked dead last in the country. Just one example of their failure.

California exists on an infrastructure of wealth created by previous generations. They are failed, they just don’t know it yet.

When their housing bubble breaks it will put our country into a recession and California into a Depression.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:27 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
The left and right love to pick parts of the country due to politics and harp on them as the worst thing ever, often using bad information and skewed perspectives.

California, Florida, Chicago, Kansas just to name some that have been targeted over the years.

IMO CA's biggest problem in the near future will be power generation, but heck, that's what their own utility board is saying so it's not a partisan outsider thing.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:46 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
California surplus exploded to $68B... why do conservatives think it is a failed state? But conservatives have been telling everyone California will sink anytime now? Where is the doom and gloom?
California doesn't have a $68B surplus, We have a $100B deficit because of unfunded pension liabilities. Unlike private businesses that have to meet minimum funding requirements for pensions they owe their employees, because CA is a government they are exempt from ERISA 1974. That doesn't mean they don't owe the money, it means they can hide it. If CA were required to put that money aside now, like private business ism we'd be way underwater.

It is like buying a $20,000,000 oceanfront home, a Rolls Royce and having parties every night serving Dom Perignon and putting it all on a credit card. You think you are rich, you are living like you are rich, but you aren't rich. Sooner or later that bill comes due.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:48 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
If you own a house in California that’s worth some ridiculous price now is the time to sell and get out. The house of cards is coming down soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies