Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 10:37 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,650,077 times

Advertisements

HELSINKI (AP) — Finland’s leaders said Thursday they’re in favor of rapidly applying for NATO membership, paving the way for a historic expansion of the alliance that could deal a serious blow to Russia as its military struggles with its war in Ukraine.

The annoucement by President Sauli Niinisto and Prime Minister Sanna Marin means that Finland is all but certain to join the Western military alliance, though a few steps remain before the application process can begin. Neighboring Sweden is expected to decide on seeking NATO membership in coming days.

https://apnews.com/article/sweden-fi...3021f9b194cbec

Finland shares an 800 mile border with Russia will be interesting how Russia responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 10:38 AM

4,283 posts, read 1,529,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Finland shares an 800 mile border with Russia will be interesting how Russia responds.
Given how terrible their invasion of Ukraine has been, I'm not sure the Finns are too worried.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:41 AM

2,612 posts, read 914,870 times
Great, another country for the US to be on the hook for if attacked. Thanks but no thanks. The US should sell them whatever hardware they want to buy and make it their own responsibility to protect their own borders.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:44 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,509,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Given how terrible their invasion of Ukraine has been, I'm not sure the Finns are too worried.
They have been fortifying for the last 75 years and are great at snipers and artillery.

Their worries are likely more along the line of "What if my insane neighbor starts acting even more insane." All the time polishing their sniper rifle.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:52 AM

13,359 posts, read 4,192,771 times
NATO went from 16 countries under the Cold War to 30 countries today when the Soviet Union doesn't exist for over 30 years. Why add more countries and pretend that is going to keep the peace?

Imagine how We react if a nuclear super power that hates us makes a military alliance of 30 countries and is next on our borders and they keep talking about adding more countries? I don't know about you but I would start swinging.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:57 AM

77,905 posts, read 60,063,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Unfortunately Ukraine is also taking a lot of damage, why risk assuming the Russians will behave rationally?

Old 05-12-2022, 11:59 AM

2,612 posts, read 914,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
NATO went from 16 countries under the Cold War to 30 countries today when the Soviet Union doesn't exist for over 30 years. Why add more countries and pretend that is going to keep the peace?

Imagine how We react if a nuclear super power that hates us makes a military alliance of 30 countries and is next on our borders and they keep talking about adding more countries? I don't know about you but I would start swinging.
Yes, NATO is an overall negative especially for the US. A positive for Russian border states but at our expense. I think the real goal would be to improve relations with Russia so there is no need. Perhaps enter into some form of defense alliance with Russia.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:01 PM

4,283 posts, read 1,529,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unfortunately Ukraine is also taking a lot of damage, why risk assuming the Russians will behave rationally?
I never assumed that, and I doubt Finland would. Which is why they want protection. There's no predicting Russian behaviors.

I would also argue, the exploding clown car that has been the Russian invasion of Ukraine, has gone badly. Sure, Ukraine is taking damage, but it's also recapturing areas and forcing the Russians back in some areas. Everyday there's new footage of a Russian armored vehicle being destroyed or towed by Ukrainian farmers.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:02 PM

853 posts, read 333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Great, another country for the US to be on the hook for if attacked. Thanks but no thanks. The US should sell them whatever hardware they want to buy and make it their own responsibility to protect their own borders.
This is a really bad take. On a per capita basis Finland has one of the most useful and best equipped militaries in Europe, and have beaten the Russians before. They are an asset to the alliance, not a drain.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:06 PM

77,905 posts, read 60,063,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...2%80%93present)

I think you've missed some of the actions Russia has been taking in the last few decades that has made it's neighbors nervous and wanting to join NATO.

I love the twisted logic that you can threaten and invade your neighbors but if they then join NATO....it's a provacation.

They were threatening Finland recently too. Is that the logic? Just roll over and do what Russia wants or you're "asking for it"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies