Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 10:37 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,961,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Let's see if the national mainstream media outlets pick this up. More importantly let's see if Biden addresses this tragedy or visits Chicago as he visited the mass shooting in New York.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shoo...tate/11872407/
Back in the 90's the murder rate was just as high, only it was confined to west and south sides; where the criminals resided.
So, we from the suburbs still visited; not anymore.
Nobody out here have any plans on attending the usual festivals and such.
This is what happens when voters elect cupcakes as Mayors.
Just wait until school lets out, cupcake will be begging Gov Porkchop for troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 10:39 AM

77,756 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
The president is only the leader of the government, that has nothing to do with the rest of us. Politicians arent our leaders.

Do you think that the US president should make a speech after each shooting above x number of deaths? What kinds of things do you think it is important for a president to say in these speeches?
You're trying really hard to misdirect from the reality that Biden & co. only want to show up to mass shootings where they can play politics and push racial divisions...even if it requires lying like they did in Atlanta.

This is done to create a perception bias that blacks (for example) are really mostly at risk from white supremacists. Most people that have lived in rougher areas know better but it sells better to ignorant suburbanites, especially younger ones.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:41 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,236,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

AP, HLN, LA Times ... Google is your friend.
Duck Duck Go is my friend. Google is my enemy.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:42 AM

29,393 posts, read 19,480,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I dont give too much thought to what politicians do. They dont add any value. Ideally they just sit in their offices and play solitaire.

I just am impressed by how much you value Joe Biden's speeches. Do you find him to be a good speech maker that can move you emotionally? I wonder what it is that they can say in these speeches that you are so impressed by. I would think they would just become repetitive and without meaning.
Biden is a potato. But even a potato can have a speech written for him that would say that the federal gov will provide additional resources to aid local gov. and police to help curb crime. Or maybe you feel that this is a local matter and that the federal agencies need not get involved.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:45 AM

29,393 posts, read 19,480,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Back in the 90's the murder rate was just as high, only it was confined to west and south sides; where the criminals resided.
So, we from the suburbs still visited; not anymore.
Nobody out here have any plans on attending the usual festivals and such.
This is what happens when voters elect cupcakes as Mayors.
Just wait until school lets out, cupcake will be begging Gov Porkchop for troops.
Yup I was a teenager in the later 80s and I remember that crimewave well. As you said it was mostly confined to inner city neighborhoods not the lakeshore/downtown tourist zones that you see happening now. I used to go downtown bar and club hopping and going to restaurants at least twice a month before 2020. Since the riots of that summer, I can count the number of times I went downtown on one hand. I have no desire to anymore. Part of that is safety concern (can't legally conceal carry going to a bar or club), and part of it is I don't want to spend my money in the city to prop up an a$$hat mayor.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:48 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,236,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You're trying really hard to misdirect from the reality that Biden & co. only want to show up to mass shootings where they can play politics and push racial divisions...even if it requires lying like they did in Atlanta.

This is done to create a perception bias that blacks (for example) are really mostly at risk from white supremacists. Most people that have lived in rougher areas know better but it sells better to ignorant suburbanites, especially younger ones.
Thank you. You beat me to it.

Anyone with a functioning brain that hasn't been ingesting CNN for the last ten years can see the blatantly obvious agenda being peddled by the divisive regime currently fouling the White House.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:49 AM

77,756 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Quote:
The violence in areas that are accustomed to having violence has remained pretty steady but has seen an increase in the last couple of years as well. It's the areas where you didn't see as much violence in the past that it's now going up. Downtown Chicago for example but also Lakeview Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and elsewhere.
What I'm getting at is more of the sheer number.

For example, Lincoln Park for years averaged about 1-2 murders a year. So if you have 1-2 more it's a big % increase.

Meanwhile Austin can go up 10 murders and it's only 30% (just using rough numbers to make a point).

Regardless, where I come down on this is that ultimately I'd prefer that most of the people shot are those that are engaged in the violence themselves. Gangs shooting other gangs is highly preferable to some young lady, old man etc. catching a bullet from these losers during a robbery, stray bullet etc. etc. etc.

Relatively speaking much of the city is still generally *safe* just not as safe as it used to be.

So many of these shooters are young and then the police roll up and shoot them and out come the activists "boo hoo" you racist cops shot this young minority kid....despite the "kid" having been in the process of murdering other young minority kids.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:49 AM

2,612 posts, read 910,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It is just silly when people complain "how come we dont hear this in the news" over everything they personally deem important. Even though they know that it isnt that significant and would be forgotten quickly anyway.

And I dont disagree that politicians select things to focus on based on their own personal benefits. That is what politicians do. The way we should handle it is by not caring about them.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:50 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,961,494 times
Quote:
Yup I was a teenager in the later 80s and I remember that crimewave well. As you said it was mostly confined to inner city neighborhoods not the lakeshore/downtown tourist zones that you see happening now. I used to go downtown bar and club hopping and going to restaurants at least twice a month before 2020. Since the riots of that summer, I can count the number of times I went downtown on one hand. I have no desire to anymore. Part of that is safety concern (can't legally conceal carry going to a bar or club), and part of it is I don't want to spend my money in the city to prop up an a$$hat mayor.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63468614-post79.html

Old 05-20-2022, 10:51 AM

2,612 posts, read 910,310 times
Quote:
Biden is a potato. But even a potato can have a speech written for him that would say that the federal gov will provide additional resources to aid local gov. and police to help curb crime. Or maybe you feel that this is a local matter and that the federal agencies need not get involved.
I assume that law enforcement has procedures for dealing with this and a speech by a potato doesnt change anything. You want to treat these politicians like royalty and then you act like you want small government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies