Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 06:03 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Indeed, I am absolutely for reparations for those people that were enslaved. They suffered horrific atrocities, and lived out the rest of their days as a slave. I can think of few things worse than that.

So I absolutely believe that those people are owed reparations; the "40 acres and a mule" not withstanding.

Every one of those people should be written a large check by the US Govt.

The fact that it has taken so long for the govt to recognize these atrocities is a shame.

That said, their descendants were not slaves, and live/lived as free men/women. And as such, are not entitled to the reparations that their slave ancestors were.
None are alive anymore so no need for "huge checks".

The last freed slave died in 1971 although Maxine Waters claims she's a "freed slave".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_Magee

Old 05-23-2022, 06:07 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
None are alive anymore so no need for "huge checks".

The last freed slave died in 1971 although Maxine Waters claims she's a "freed slave".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_Magee
Pity it took so long then for reparations to be paid.

I guess this settles it then and we can move on now.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:15 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Without arguing in favor of reparations - for anybody - for any reason - I will point out the *difference* between Black Americans and: Ukrainians, Mormons, Chinese, Irish … Martians … et al … is Black Americans were violently captured, shackled and brought against their will, forced to stay under threat of death, and bought, sold, traded as chattel possessions. They did not voluntarily ‘enlist’, signing their own contracts to work for specified terms with freedom guaranteed as the end game to their voluntary labor.

Carry on …
And Mormons were shot--entire families--and had their property seized, buildings burned, and the survivors were sent into the wilderness to die. For years. In three separate waves of violence over thousands of miles. And those who did survive all of that went far west... only to have the military sent to exterminate them there.

I don't see your bleeding heart on that one. Is that any better than being enslaved? How much should the mormons receive, each, do you think? Say twenty grand a piece? Fifty? A hundred? Would that make up for their great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents' plight?

Old 05-23-2022, 07:56 PM

426 posts, read 178,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And Mormons were shot--entire families--and had their property seized, buildings burned, and the survivors were sent into the wilderness to die. For years. In three separate waves of violence over thousands of miles. And those who did survive all of that went far west... only to have the military sent to exterminate them there.

I don't see your bleeding heart on that one. Is that any better than being enslaved? How much should the mormons receive, each, do you think? Say twenty grand a piece? Fifty? A hundred? Would that make up for their great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents' plight?
Take what Tullemutte posts with a grain of salt. He’s a never Trumper who supports the two most slimy and corrupt people (Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden) who to ever be in positions of power. His world view is pathetically flawed.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:42 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Reparation for slavery in the US is unlikely. Other than an emotional issue, there is simply the fact that it was legitimate and constitutional. Countries have done horrible things to their own citizens and to indigenous or enslaved people all through history and it was mostly legal at the time. Most of us have a slave and a slaveowner in the family tree if you go back far enough.

What we do have is a pattern of identifiable abuses and lynchings after emancipation and all the way up to the 1960s.There has been a list of lynching victims compiled with names and dates that could be used for reparations to survivors. Not all lynching victims were black, but all were illegal. There might be other actions short of lynching that could be included if verified.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:24 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Reparation for slavery in the US is unlikely. Other than an emotional issue, there is simply the fact that it was legitimate and constitutional. Countries have done horrible things to their own citizens and to indigenous or enslaved people all through history and it was mostly legal at the time. Most of us have a slave and a slaveowner in the family tree if you go back far enough.

What we do have is a pattern of identifiable abuses and lynchings after emancipation and all the way up to the 1960s.There has been a list of lynching victims compiled with names and dates that could be used for reparations to survivors. Not all lynching victims were black, but all were illegal. There might be other actions short of lynching that could be included if verified.
Looks like there were 1297 White people and 3445 blacks lynched according to the attached report. Since most all of the Lynching's of Blacks were conducted by Democrats, considering the years, I would suggest the DNC pay the families of the affected parties. I would call it the "Robert Byrd reparations effort" considering he was the highest ranking Democrat KKK member in modern times and most likely recruited people that actually lynched black people during his life

Lynching Statistics by Year

Old 05-23-2022, 10:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
It will never happen. Reparations will be in the form of tax relief, student loan forgiveness or free tuition, no-interest loans or mortgages, low cost housing and insurance, and possibly a modest monthly stipend of a few hundred dollars at best. No one is getting 40 acres and a Ford F-150. Or checks worth tens of thousands or millions.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The following is from the Sacramento Bee. It belongs in the Politics forum and I posted it there but was removed the same day, twice, because I failed, then made, unfavorable comments. The bold font is from the Bee.

Deon D. Jenkins is running to represent California in the U.S. Senate. He wants reparations for Black people who descended from people enslaved in America.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

"Jenkins calculated a $3.1 million check for “money” by adding the U.S. gross domestic product each year between 1865, the year the Civil War ended, and 2018 — he said that reached about one quadrillion dollars. From there, he low-balled an estimate that at least 3% of people are Black descendants of slaves and thus accounted for that percent of the quadrillion dollars. He divided that amount among the population of descendants, which he approximated as at least 10 million people, to reach the $3.1 million per person with interest.
Subsequent checks would make up for inflation and changes in annual GDP. He said people would get about $60,000 yearly."

My main comment, and my point was that such a settlement would create huge resentment among the taxpayers who would be forced to pay for it. It wouldn't eliminate/reduce racism in our country - quite contrary, it would make it worse.
I have no problem with someone arguing with me or calling me dumb, but please let the discussion remain open for all.

My secondary point was that history is cruel and has many victims. Nevertheless, we can't go back in time, search for injustices, and present a bill like a plumber does after fixing the kitchen sink.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy
Reparations = money for democratic voters, in exchange for doing nothing, and mean the end of this country. Do we really want to take this step?

Old 05-24-2022, 06:27 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Here's my offer be grateful that that you even live in America get a job and better yourself OR go back to Africa if you are such a victim and have it so badly here. See if life is better for you in Sudan Egypt or South Africa...

I think I should get reparations for having to deal with Democrats stupidity over the last two years. Would you posters try to convince the Sheep to stop voting for these morons?

Old 05-24-2022, 06:40 AM

1,710 posts, read 806,708 times
We are already paying reparations through Affirmative Action, minority set asides and racial quotas, all enacted to level the field and help minorities. Those are fair and if used correctly effective. Its way too late to pay the actual slaves so these are in place to help the slave's future generations.

Kind of a 'give a man a fish ...'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies