Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times

Advertisements

Apparently, police officers are not welcome in Chicago's Pilsen Community Books.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...a84a63d7964c92

To be fair, the police officer is not entirely woke-free:

Quote:
"As a gay Mexican-American, who's served her country and continues to serve her community, I'm shocked and heartbroken."

The officer added: "My beloved Pilsen, my home, my barrio where I lived for 7 years and still own a home there…I'm embarrassed and heartbroken for the way she treated me.

"I promise you, I didn't get mad as I walked out but my voice did crack when I told her how as a woman, a Mexican, a member of the community, I couldn't believe what she was doing.
What does the officer being gay have to do with anything? And why does she identify herself as a Mexican instead of an American?

But, that said, I still wouldn't be in the least bit upset if the store gets robbed, and the police decide to honor its "police free" stance and refuse to go inside to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 08:25 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
Hopefully the store will be looted and the police will stand outside with their arms folded.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:28 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Yes, a bunch of smash-and-grab vermin are definitely preferable.

"Mexican-American"... "African-American"... let's see... I'm well over half Norwegian (by bloodline)--mainly from several of my great grandparents who came to the US just before and after WWI. So by the way "Mexican-Americans" and "African-Americans" define themselves, does that make me a "Norwegian-American"? Maybe if I spoke with a tiny accent and in Norwegian at times, it would make me more authentic? Or wear a traditional Norwegian outfit?

I wonder if under different circumstances this would have been offered up: "As an old white man who has served his country and community since the dinosaurs roamed the earth..." (answer: of course not--wrong optics)

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-24-2022 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 08:33 AM

6,016 posts, read 2,838,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Hopefully the store will be looted and the police will stand outside with their arms folded.
I doubt the 'smash and grab' people are interested in looting a bookstore....

Old 05-24-2022, 08:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
a bookstore?

unlikely

Old 05-24-2022, 08:35 AM

6,658 posts, read 2,964,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I doubt the 'smash and grab' people are interested in looting a bookstore....
That was my first thought too,..lol. probably the safest place in the 'Barrio".

Old 05-24-2022, 08:39 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What does the officer being gay have to do with anything? And why does she identify herself as a Mexican instead of an American?
Because she’s being a good Democrat who can’t resist in engaging in some identity politics while telling her story.

In the Democrat Identity Politics Totem Pole™ hierarchy, she gets extra points for some of what she said, and therefore her perspective will carry more weight, so to speak.

+1 for being a woman [because this is marginally better than being a guy, because privilege]
+2 for being homosexual [because this represents an “oppressed” or “marginalized” group]
+3 for identifying as a hyphenated American [because Democrats tend to think most other countries are better than America, and folks who identify with anything outside of America bring a more valuable perspective]
+1 as her description of herself as Mexican may mean that she is a person of color [better than being white for sure, and maybe she’s “Latinx” LOL]
-1 for being a police officer [this is bad, as Democrats hate the police]

= MUCH MORE IMPORTANT PERSPECTIVE than a regular straight, “cisgender” white woman.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:40 AM

5,981 posts, read 3,720,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Apparently, police officers are not welcome in Chicago's Pilsen Community Books.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...a84a63d7964c92

To be fair, the police officer is not entirely woke-free:

But, that said, I still wouldn't be in the least bit upset if the store gets robbed, and the police decide to honor its "police free" stance and refuse to go inside to help.
It's because far too many members of our society feel that it's necessary to let everyone know what "groups" they identify with in hopes of getting some sympathy for their position from other members of that group.

Personally, I don't give a damn whether the cop is gay or straight, black or white, or what nationality they came from. All I care about is that they do their job as a COP.

As for the store owner, I would tell him/her that what THEY want has no influence on how we do our job as cops. The store is open to the public and therefore no member of the public (including the police) are to be barred entry to the store. If the police think it is necessary to patrol or visit inside the store for various reasons, then that's what they will do. Who knows? The book store may be a meeting place for drug deals or other illicit activity.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:41 AM

14,225 posts, read 4,589,165 times
Quote:
A book store?

Looting the book stores for SAT and ACT study guides?

Old 05-24-2022, 08:42 AM

15,825 posts, read 6,534,658 times
Quote:
Well no, one hopes the police will do their job professionally, even if it is with some schadenfreude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies