Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Democrats repeal the 2nd Amendment if they could?
Yes 132 81.48%
No 30 18.52%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 01:46 PM

36,941 posts, read 18,926,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hell yes they would.

I say this as a person that has no interest in guns and does not have one.
No, they wouldn’t. I say this as a lifelong Democrat who has owned guns since I got my first one as a birthday gift in 1958. I was a gunsmith for four years, and I have probably owned 4-500 assorted firearms in the last 64 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 01:48 PM

5,846 posts, read 2,686,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
They don't have to change it. They simply ignore it, and violate it whenever they feel the need.

Examples are innumerable. To mention just one:

You go into a gun store, pick out a gun you want, and hand the purchase price to the clerk. He says, "Wait a minute, you have to fill out this Federal form, or else the law says you can't buy a gun." You say, "I don't want to fill out any forms, I just want to buy the gun, here's the money." He says, "The the law says you can't buy a gun."

There you go. Your right to buy a gun has just been infringed. In fact, it has been completely ignored... in flat violation of the 2nd amendment.

The leftists DON'T have to change the Constitution. They simply have to ignore it... and they do, dozens of times per day.

No wonder they've never made any real attempt to modify or repeal the 2nd amendment. They don't have to.
Good point. I'm trying to play devil's advocate with other BoR amendments, but I'm coming up short right now...

Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM

18,654 posts, read 7,514,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
But no, I wouldn't abolish the second amendment. I would make it more difficult for 18 year olds to buy weapons designed for the sole purpose of killing numerous people quickly and efficiently.
TRANSLATION: Yes, I would abolish the 2nd amendment.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:59 PM

13,526 posts, read 4,842,213 times
Why does it matter? The bar for repealing an amendment is sufficiently high that I think its safe to say it will not happen, at least in my lifetime. So what Democrats would or wouldn't do is purely hypothetical.

Personally I think the 2A needs a major rewrite. It was poorly written - the sentence structure doesn't even make sense from a grammatical perspective. It starts by saying this is about a well-regulated militia, but then ends with the unambiguous "the right to keep and bear arms may not be abridged"

Taken literally, the government cannot keep you from owning an atomic bomb or a tank. Taken literally, the government can't keep you from carrying a gun if you are a raving schizophrenic screaming about how you're going to shoot up a school.

I would rewrite it to clarify that there are some weapons that may be regulated, and there are some people who may be prohibited from carrying.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:02 PM

6,667 posts, read 9,228,706 times
Absolutely! If Democrats could singlehandedly repeal the 2nd Amendment, they’d do it in a heartbeat.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:16 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No, they wouldn’t. I say this as a lifelong Democrat who has owned guns since I got my first one as a birthday gift in 1958. I was a gunsmith for four years, and I have probably owned 4-500 assorted firearms in the last 64 years.
The Dem politicians would if they could, in a heartbeat.

They appear to be going in a direction that is less mainstream than many of the middle of the road Dem voters.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:17 PM

42,293 posts, read 17,654,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Q: Why does the Constitution have a second amendment?

A: In case the government doesn't obey the first one.
If Americans didn't have guns there would have been no War of Independence.
They very well knew that the populace needed to be able to own and use guns.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:49 PM

24,296 posts, read 17,027,498 times
Well during the debates Beto Oroarke told us he was coming for the guns and that he would ban them. He is such a Boob but an honest one when it comes to the Democrat schemes on guns.

Guns represent Freedom and anything that smacks of Freedom the Democrats despise. That is why they are brainwashing the kids with all the Woke SJW nonsense. A kid can graduate school and go onto college with no idea about how to balance a checkbook or to write his name in cursive but boy is he ready to throw down and protest some perceived slight like a Pro.

Guns to a Lefty are almost as dangerous as Independent Thought.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:53 PM

36,941 posts, read 18,926,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The Dem politicians would if they could, in a heartbeat.

They appear to be going in a direction that is less mainstream than many of the middle of the road Dem voters.
Don't get me wrong - I am decidedly not middle of the road. I am about as left as they come.

That's the problem with sweeping generalizations. They are almost without exception baseless.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:54 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,926,256 times
I like the assumption that every Republican favors guns and ever Democrat hates them.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies