Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 06:12 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Tried that years ago. My kids didn't even have cell phones in middle school. It was the school giving them the devices.
Had a friend go so far as to take even the lightbulb from kids room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 12:46 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Had a friend go so far as to take even the lightbulb from kids room.
Haha. We did that, too. But not over devices. My kid was a middle of the night reader. We had to take her nightlight.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
There is an evil force that is working hard to continue the dumbing down of the US population.

If you stop for a second and think of the reasons why, this is absolutely terrifying.
you see it every day on this forum.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people are aware this is going on in schools. My daughter was completing 11% of her work when she transitioned from 8th grade to high school. I actually asked them if they could fail her. They didn't 'want to make her feel bad about herself'. Ugh. How can a parent hold a kid accountable when this goes on?

Teacher Resigns from LT

https://patch.com/illinois/lagrange/...mwY6qYi4uY3jEk
Your child spends less than 15% of their time in a year at school and on any given day they spend less time at school than they do in your home. The average school has an adult to child ratio of between 12-17 students per adult, in your home it is probably between 1-4 children per adult. It is the schools that can not hold a child accountable without the parent’s support, not the other way around.

The school should not have had to consider what to do with your child who was only doing 11% of her work because you should have already taken care of it when she was turning in only 90% of her work. Guarantee this didn’t suddenly become a problem in 8th grade, it took years to get her there and in most cases it started in about 2nd or 3rd grade when mom/dad made excuses for late/missing work or allowed their kid to skip their daily reading but signed the reading log anyway.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Agree! I support school choice. Money goes with the kid, not the school.
I think that is where we are headed. School Boards, Administrations, many Teacher and all Education Unions are against the child and many of the parents. States can (and will with enough pressure) change the way schools are funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Shut off internet access and take cell phone...or restrict it greatly and allow the priviledge back with performance.
In my grandchildren's school — they don’t even get books in many classes - no Chemistry book, no statistics, no Math books — they are forced into doing it online. I’m referring to High School courses.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
In my grandchildren's school — they don’t even get books in many classes - no Chemistry book, no statistics, no Math books — they are forced into doing it online. I’m referring to High School courses.
Well aware. You can still restrict access.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:11 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
My grandson could not read in 2nd grade in a public school. Two years after being home schooled, he is two grades ahead of his age.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My grandson could not read in 2nd grade in a public school. Two years after being home schooled, he is two grades ahead of his age.
No offense but something seriously changed at home. Right?

I'm not blanket defending all public schools, I get that.

At the same time there are some really excellent public schools out there.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:09 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,665,401 times
My exwife and I demanded our kid be held back in Kindergarten. Though he wasn’t anywhere near grade level they were still going to promote him. Actually had to sign papers at the school and received a lecture about he he would feel. This was 1999. He didn’t have problems socially, he did well in all grades, and attended a local small college after high school. He was better for us holding him back than if he was allowed to advance when not ready. If the student doesn’t have enough credits then hold the student back, especially in elementary grades.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:16 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again-

Parents consider the pubic schools to be warehousing and baby sitting for kids. Often these kids come from families with no discipline, so it is hard to expect the schools to do all the parenting.

The Catholic school system is able to initiate more discipline as IT IS DEMANDED AND GUIDED BY THE PARENTS AND THE DIOCESE. If we, as the parents, were not happy with the direction things were headed in the school, they knew we would pull our cash out of the school and the diocese. Teachers were given free reign to discipline kids and had fill parental support. We were large donors, but there were more than a few times my boys were on the receiving end of discipline and my wife and I supported it 100%.

The good thing about the public schools getting worse is that it will strengthen the parochial schools, where discipline, high test scores and grades, and some religion is still emphasized. They still say the Pledge and start the day with a prayer.

In the Catholic schools my kids attended, 50% of the students were there on scholarship (poorer kids supported by the diocese) and so it is not just a school system for "rich kids". There was a good segment of minority kids represented (most on scholarship), but those kids appreciated the fact they were going to a better school and behaved and performed like everyone else. My kids to this day have previously lower income kids (who have completed college and professional schools) who are no longer "low income" and are in the community again, CONTRIBUTING to the system, not being a burden. The Catholic school system works and turns out a better educated, better socialized kid than the public schools for a number of reasons.
At one time it was easier for public school faculty to get problem students out of the classroom. Today the faculty are handcuff by local, state, and federal regulations determined to keep all students in class. The students have the power over the faculty. By the time a bad student gets enough marks to be suspended or expelled then the school year is over. But then again, back then if your parents found out you were acting up in class you got a whooping from your parents instead of parents confronting the teachers demanding to know why the teacher is picking on their son or daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies