Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compromise: Only 25+ for Military Style Guns?
Yes 36 36.36%
No 63 63.64%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 05:58 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
It's a silly comparison but I'm all for raising the minimum age of purchase to 21 for all firearms, IF the voting age is raised back to 21 as well. All "age of majority" laws should be a uniform 21 years of age. I think as a society we've proven since the 60's that 18 year olds are still very much children unless they've been toughened up in some way by the military or life circumstances.

I would also carve out an exceptions for active duty members of the military, and also allow for police apprenticeships to begin at 18 right out of high school. Currently, most departments won't hire you until you're 20 and then only if you'll be 21 by the time training is over because you can't own a handgun currently until the age of 21.
Unless we change all age of majority uniformly to 21 as suggested, it's a non-starter. What this 20-year old poster seems to not understand is the Constitution was here long before her dislike for the Constitution arose, and it will be here long after her brain fully develops at age 25.

See, there's plenty of people that would be OK with some type of insurance coverage required for gun ownership. But then, you'd be essentially charging a poll tax, which we know idealistic left of center Americans are fully against.

I may have missed it - did we start ranking the clauses of the Constitution and Amendments for how relevant, important, and enforced they should be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 05:58 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
It's a silly comparison but I'm all for raising the minimum age of purchase to 21 for all firearms, IF the voting age is raised back to 21 as well. All "age of majority" laws should be a uniform 21 years of age. I think as a society we've proven since the 60's that 18 year olds are still very much children unless they've been toughened up in some way by the military or life circumstances.

I would also carve out an exceptions for active duty members of the military, and also allow for police apprenticeships to begin at 18 right out of high school. Currently, most departments won't hire you until you're 20 and then only if you'll be 21 by the time training is over because you can't own a handgun currently until the age of 21.
"I would also carve out an exceptions for active duty members of the military, and also allow for police apprenticeships to begin at 18 right out of high school"

What about kids who have been hunting with their fathers, etc., since old enough to walk?

What about kids who have been involved in shooting sport competition from an early age, etc.

It never ceases to amaze how some know so little, claim to know so much about issues!

Old 05-28-2022, 06:00 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Evidently car rental companies have more common sense than congress relying on a 250 year old amendment. The drinking age in every state is 21 but you can buy a military style rifle at 18 years, sure that makes sense.
Do you know why the drinking age is 21 everywhere now? Do you know when this occurred? Did you know there's no "right to drink"?

I suppose, if guns can be legally rented, there may be some restrictions from those rental companies, eh?

Old 05-28-2022, 06:03 AM

1,133 posts, read 610,985 times
The gun debate will never be resolved in America. Too many extremist on both sides.

The only thing at the moment that we can do is try our best to compromise and work towards a better situation concerning gun ownership.

I do agree that 18 is a ridiculous age to allow anyone to purchase something whose sole purpose is to destroy whatever it's pointed at. 25 sounds like a more reasonable age.

The nation is so damn divided and nobody wants to move on their stance. It's just plain sad that nothing is being done and mass killings will continue.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:03 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
If we change the right to own a military type weapon to 25 years old, then we should also change the draft age laws to 25.

Picking and choosing what certin age groups are able to do, or nor do, or are compelled to do is a slippery slope.

Why should people in other age groups choose what 18-25 years old can or cant do?

I'd like a law where retired people can't drive before 10 a.m., and between 3:00-7:00 pm....would that be okay?

Old 05-28-2022, 06:05 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Evidently car rental companies have more common sense than congress relying on a 250 year old amendment. The drinking age in every state is 21 but you can buy a military style rifle at 18 years, sure that makes sense.
"than congress relying on a 250 year old amendment."

Always with the cop out

What have YOU done to amend the 2nd amemdmnt you hate so much?

The same peopl like you come on here and all they do is whine and cry about the 2nd, and done NOTHING to try to amend it.

Why is that?

I'll tell you. Because you KNOW you will NEVER SUCCEED!

Old 05-28-2022, 06:54 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I am 20, I can buy a military style gun....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Please define what a"military STYLE gun is" to you.
Quick Enough beat me to the question. Are we talking about a firearm that simply mimics a military gun in looks only or are we talking about a true "military style" weapon, which would be considered a Class 3 firearm and already has a minimum 21 years-of-age requirement in place. My guess is that QuakerBaker thinks that because an AR-15 looks like a military firearm, it performs like one, which is nowhere near the truth.

At what point do we consider someone old enough to be an adult? 18? 21? Now we're proposing 25? At what point do we stop raising the age because some perp commits a heinous crime?

Old 05-28-2022, 06:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 753,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Human Brains are supposedly fully developed at this age.

Law makers can work with this data from here on in.....................exceptions for military ..etc....
That is a great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Renting cars are not in the constitution. The constitution clearly says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON. They put it there for a reason.
We already infringe upon the 2nd Amendment. With age restrictions for example. You can't buy a surface to air missile. You can't buy a nuclear warhead. Those seem sensible.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:30 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Renting cars are not in the constitution. The constitution clearly says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON. They put it there for a reason.
Yet 10 year olds don't have that right. I agree with Quaker. At some point there needs to be an age restriction.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:36 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I know that pro-2nd Amendment advocates say that we need guns to "keep the government from becoming abusive" and for "self-defense" and this is a reasonable concern, though I disagree with it. I don't know about guns to be clear, but I am not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, but what about a compromise?

It seems like shooters are more likely to be young.

I am 20, I can buy a military style gun, but in many states I can't rent a car. Many places you can't rent a car or if you get hit with huge fees if you are under 25.

It just seems weird that it can potentially be easier to get a military style gun than renting a car.

Perhaps to reduce violent shootings, should military style guns be made for only people 25 and above as a compromise against outright banning them?

What's a "military style gun" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies