Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2022, 08:51 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,323,615 times

Advertisements

I haven't commented on the shootings the last few days because all the normal debate and rhetoric has been happening. However in light of the police not breaching the school for 40 minutes I'd offer a potential solution that could stop these maniacs while limiting LEO and others to exposure of weapons fire.

My idea is robots and drones. They are not new have been around for years, bomb disposal has used them for a while. I was at a Air Force airshow two months ago, one of these walked right passed me at the show. These are real and are already in service, though no doubt expensive. While it it is not a total solution I offer this for discussion. Besides this I see no reason why a school or where ever these days wouldn't have good camera surveillance also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAMXUNkeV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UBlQVB7vYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlDLwTsRHtU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 11:06 AM

24,299 posts, read 16,970,291 times
Those robots are so cool and so scary at the same time.

How would one distinguish between a victim and the shooter?

I say to prevent future shootings is to #1 is to lock the doors. #2 is for all of us to start caring again about our neighbors and take any threats that someone makes seriously. It does take a village and if someone needs to be locked up for their own good and the safety of the public then do it. #3 in any active shooter situation minutes matter and our First Responders should be equipped with the proper gear, training and mindset to get in there and stop the threat.

The Left pushed so hard to Defund the Police in order to "protect" criminals against "Racism" that we are now seeing the results of that nonsense in increased crime rates by emboldened thugs and a diminished Police Force.

Good job Dems.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Those robots are so cool and so scary at the same time.

How would one distinguish between a victim and the shooter?

Controllers and monitors with cameras linked to the robots. This is the future, and like any tech has it's limitations and dangers of misuse but at the end of the day it is still a human controlling it. These can also be fitted with non lethal weapons like tazzers if need be.

Not a total solution, not feasible for every police dept to have this, but certainly something to consider. Besides this every school should be fitted with a security camera system, with a dedicated person monitoring it. The fact that a bad guy can get into a school especially after being discovered outside the school is unacceptable.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:45 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,221,969 times
I think it warrents being part of the solution. Also, if something did happen then gun owners could see how useless the idea of their ArmaLite vs. government drone really is.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Also, if something did happen then gun owners could see how useless the idea of their ArmaLite vs. government drone really is.
Well that's not true, at the end of it the person on the ground makes the difference and besides machines can be destroyed. However it does offer tech that can help LEO in security putting their lives less at risk to a extent.

Once we reach autonomous machines and drones then I do not support this, I believe any machine especially one that is a weapon should have a live human in control of it.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:27 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,197,869 times
It would be interesting if you could fit the person running it with a VR type of headset that simulates them actually being in the building as if they were in there, then they could react in a way a normal human could.

That will be the tech of the future when they come to disarm us, they won't kick in your door and send in people, they'll send in automated drones with automatic weapons to shoot you or detonate when they get close. It will have sensors that let it detect you through drywall and it will spray a barrage of bullets through the wall. They might not even kick in the door... they'll detect you are there and take you out without even entering.

No need to try to disarm us... yet. I see the future as a total surveillance state with robot security guards. This freedom we hold so dear is likely transitory. Keeping human nature in check has always been the goal of leaders. Keeping your populace from turning against you... ditto. We are wired to be followers and the majority of the population would trade their freedom for security, especially with enough real or staged events or things that cause emotional trauma to get them to vote for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies