Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 08:56 AM

27,532 posts, read 28,625,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah the decision explicitly calls for reconsidering Griswold(contraceptives), Lawrence(sodomy laws), and Obergefell(same sex marriage). Inviting the government into all of our bedrooms.
The right to contraception is too firmly entrenched in American society to be overturned.

It is not widely controversial like abortion has been for the last 50 years.

19,716 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm no historian, but is there a situation ever in our history where a right that people enjoyed for decades and generations having been taken away by a partisan decision of the Supreme Court?
There has never been a "right". Abortions are not mentioned in the Constitution. Any right not specifically given to the federal government belongs to the states. Do I wish they had not overturned Roe v Wade? No. But it was the right thing to do legally. Now it up to the states just like the Constitution specifies.

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
The fact so many people are upset about this who this decision will never impact makes me laugh. I just sit back and laugh at these morons
Everyone is affected when six partisan judges can strip away privacy rights in people's medical decisions.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:58 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,749,998 times
I just heard Nancy Pelosi talk about a "woman's right to choose.."

That's just not inclusive enough. It's a "menstruating person's right to choose" - thank you very much!

Old 06-24-2022, 08:59 AM

45,538 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
I'm no historian, but is there a situation ever in our history where a right that people enjoyed for decades and generations having been taken away by a partisan decision of the Supreme Court?
It's not a right.

It's been an implied law and right through a court case.

And the Supreme Court re-interpreted abortion. The Court giveth and the Court taketh away.

You say people "enjoyed" abortion... everyone except the baby that perished.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:01 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I suppose for those planning to have an abortion this might be the case. For the majority of us, this decision will have no impact on our lives, especially since we already had the good fortune of being born.
This decision has a high potential of leading to the overturning of a host of other laws and precedents that we have come to rely on for decades. It is not just about abortion.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:02 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,631 times
I predict that since power and accountability is actually in the hands of state legislatures, we won't see the sweeping bans that were predicted. It's one thing to talk a big game, it's another to be responsible when it's actually your call. I think we see watered down versions of what bas been pushed. Politicians care more about their next election than they do ideals.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:03 AM

13,927 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
What right got taken away? Far as I can tell, all the SCOTUS did the last two days was uphold the 2nd Amendment and 10th Amendments?

Neither the SCOTUS nor the Congress grants rights, because the Constitution grants no rights. The Constitution makes very clear that you, as one of The People, have all manner of innumerable rights, and then tells the government that they cannot f**k with those rights. The document also goes on to point out that if the federal government doesn't have a power over the People or the States specifically enumerated to them, then whatever power that is belongs to the States and the People.

There is no enumerated power over the practice of abortion. The federal government, therefore, has no business dictating abortion law to the States and the People one way or the other. All today's SCOTUS decision does is remind everyone of how the Constitution, specifically, the 10th Amendment, works. No rights were taken away, because the SCOTUS has no power to do so.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:05 AM

13,927 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I predict that since power and accountability is actually in the hands of state legislatures, we won't see the sweeping bans that were predicted. It's one thing to talk a big game, it's another to be responsible when it's actually your call. I think we see watered down versions of what bas been pushed. Politicians care more about their next election than they do ideals.
EXACTLY.

By next week, when nothing has changed in virtually all 50 states, everyone can then understand that all the SCOTUS did was give power back to the states via the 10th Amendment, and the states are still run by cowardly politicians who seek reelection.

I doubt very much changes with abortion law, minus a tweak here and there.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:05 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,160 times
Quote:
Everyone is affected when six partisan judges can strip away privacy rights in people's medical decisions.
Abortion is NOT a right. Read your Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.